Re: PTStitcherNG for MacOS: fastest stitcher and blender

  • Helmut Dersch
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2 12:31 AM
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Terry Thrift <terry@...> wrote:

      > Hi Helmut:
      >
      > Wow!
      > Even on a core2 system your new approach blazes through all that data.
      >
      > I'm curious whether the time spent doing file transfers between the
      > host and the playstation is long enough that it is currently as time
      > efficient to run PTStitcherNG0 on your core2 system?
      >
      > How long did it take to do the file management to and from the
      > playstation for the 2 cases below?

      The playstation test was run from the internal harddisc of the
      ps3; no file transfer involved. This internal drive is shared
      over lan with my pcs. Saving the source images in this shared
      volume, and later picking up the final panorama is not counted
      in the test times. The ps3 has a 1000MB lan interface, but my own
      lan is only 100MB so I can't provide reasonable numbers.

      As to the speed of the MacOS version: I am quite surprised myself.
      Comparing raw processing power, the PS3 should be >5-10x faster than
      the Macmini, while it is only 1.5-2x. My guess is that MacOS provides
      better system support than yellow dog linux. On the PS3, I achieved
      significant speed increases by rewriting some basic system functions
      like memcpy (rewriting this function alone saved 2min out of 20min
      program execution time). Still, the program spends most of its time in
      system calls. Conclusions: (a) It is mainly the new algorithm which is
      responsible for the speed increase.(b) there is still a lot of room
      for improvements on the ps3.

      Thanks for testing.

      Helmut
    • Anders Jiras
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11 12:10 AM
        Running Bernhard Vogls gigapixel-speedtest on my new MacBook Pro (my
        old G4 was stolen) gives me the nice result of 8 min 30,681992s. The
        resulting file is 2.37 GB

        The small test project included in PTStitcherNG0.2a runs on: Total: 1.429549s

        I was using PanoTools a lot on OS 7-8-9 time, so that should not be a
        big problem. Terminal is still an unknown though.

        Mac OS X 10.5.3, MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz
        DDR2 SDRAM, L2 Cache 6 MB

        Thanks to Helmut Dersch for all your work freely given to the panorama community

        Anders JirÄs