Re: [PanoToolsNG] PTStitcherNG for MacOS: fastest stitcher and blender

  • Terry Thrift
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hi Helmut:

      Wow!
      Even on a core2 system your new approach blazes through all that data.

      I'm curious whether the time spent doing file transfers between the
      host and the playstation is long enough that it is currently as time
      efficient to run PTStitcherNG0 on your core2 system?

      How long did it take to do the file management to and from the
      playstation for the 2 cases below?

      Thanks,
      -Terry Thrift-

      On Jun 1, 2008, at 4:03 AM, Helmut Dersch wrote:

      > We have now a port of PTStitcherNG0.2a for MacOS (Leopard 10.5.3).
      > Running on the 1.8GHz-core2 mini, it beats any other system
      > listed in Bernhard Vogls gigapixel-speedtest, including 8core/autopano
      > or ptgui installations. Only the Playstation 3 is faster. Some results
      >
      > Some test results (PS3 results in brackets) :
      > 3 x 11 MPixel -------> 18 MPixel equirect 26 sec (17sec)
      > 337 x 6 MPixel ------->1433 MPixel cylinder 12min 50sec (8min 50sec)

    • Helmut Dersch
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Terry Thrift <terry@...> wrote:

        > Hi Helmut:
        >
        > Wow!
        > Even on a core2 system your new approach blazes through all that data.
        >
        > I'm curious whether the time spent doing file transfers between the
        > host and the playstation is long enough that it is currently as time
        > efficient to run PTStitcherNG0 on your core2 system?
        >
        > How long did it take to do the file management to and from the
        > playstation for the 2 cases below?

        The playstation test was run from the internal harddisc of the
        ps3; no file transfer involved. This internal drive is shared
        over lan with my pcs. Saving the source images in this shared
        volume, and later picking up the final panorama is not counted
        in the test times. The ps3 has a 1000MB lan interface, but my own
        lan is only 100MB so I can't provide reasonable numbers.

        As to the speed of the MacOS version: I am quite surprised myself.
        Comparing raw processing power, the PS3 should be >5-10x faster than
        the Macmini, while it is only 1.5-2x. My guess is that MacOS provides
        better system support than yellow dog linux. On the PS3, I achieved
        significant speed increases by rewriting some basic system functions
        like memcpy (rewriting this function alone saved 2min out of 20min
        program execution time). Still, the program spends most of its time in
        system calls. Conclusions: (a) It is mainly the new algorithm which is
        responsible for the speed increase.(b) there is still a lot of room
        for improvements on the ps3.

        Thanks for testing.

        Helmut
      • Anders Jiras
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
          Running Bernhard Vogls gigapixel-speedtest on my new MacBook Pro (my
          old G4 was stolen) gives me the nice result of 8 min 30,681992s. The
          resulting file is 2.37 GB

          The small test project included in PTStitcherNG0.2a runs on: Total: 1.429549s

          I was using PanoTools a lot on OS 7-8-9 time, so that should not be a
          big problem. Terminal is still an unknown though.

          Mac OS X 10.5.3, MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz
          DDR2 SDRAM, L2 Cache 6 MB

          Thanks to Helmut Dersch for all your work freely given to the panorama community

          Anders Jirås