hdr, photomatix and photoshop

  • maston67
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hi

      Ive just started using hdr and am pretty amazed by the results.

      Some questions.

      - Been using photomatix trial and am thinking of buying. How does it
      compare with the utility in the lastest versions of photoshop which I
      havent got.

      - The windows in the images look fantastic but lights in the scene go
      very orangey which looks kind of OK, but Id prefer them white. This
      becomes worse when enhancing the image (to fix the flat renders) with a
      bit of levels and colour saturation. Is there a way to fix this?

      Many thanks

      Masten
    • Carel
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
        maston67 wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > Ive just started using hdr and am pretty amazed by the results.
        >
        > Some questions.
        >
        > - Been using photomatix trial and am thinking of buying. How does it
        > compare with the utility in the lastest versions of photoshop which I
        > havent got.
        >
        > - The windows in the images look fantastic but lights in the scene go
        > very orangey which looks kind of OK, but Id prefer them white. This
        > becomes worse when enhancing the image (to fix the flat renders) with a
        > bit of levels and colour saturation. Is there a way to fix this?
        >
        > Many thanks
        >
        > Masten

        Hi Masten,

        Photomatix has (had..? I have not used it for a while) a tendency to
        increase the saturation on the tonemapped result. Not so with their other
        (non-tonemapping) algorithm.
        You should also look at FDRTools and the open source project Enfuse.

        Carel Struycken

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
          On Sunday, June 01, 2008 at 20:27, maston67 wrote:

          > Ive just started using hdr and am pretty amazed by the results.
          >
          > Some questions.
          >
          > - Been using photomatix trial and am thinking of buying. How does it
          > compare with the utility in the lastest versions of photoshop which I
          > havent got.

          The "true" HDR tonemappers like in photomatix, FDRTools, picturenaut
          and so on are ways better than photoshop tonemapping tool. For a
          comparison an overview see
          http://wiki.panotools.org/HDR_Software_overview

          Additionally there is exposure fusion to mention, like implemented in
          enfuse, tufuse and PTGui pro, which in many panographers' opinion
          gives even better results than the HDR tonemappers:
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Enfuse

          > - The windows in the images look fantastic but lights in the scene go
          > very orangey which looks kind of OK, but Id prefer them white. This
          > becomes worse when enhancing the image (to fix the flat renders) with a
          > bit of levels and colour saturation. Is there a way to fix this?

          This problem results from the different color temperature of the
          respective light sources. You can either go for blue outside and
          white tungsten lights or yellow tungsten interior and white outside.
          As a compromise you could use a white balance that is somwhere
          intermediate to get only slightly bluish outside and less intense
          yellow inside. Or you do a selective desaturation of either blue-cyan
          (if WB is for inside) or yellow-orange (if WB was for outside) in
          photoshop. Perhaps you need to mask respective colored details which
          should not be desaturated.

          With enfuse you can even try to use different WB for the different
          exposure steps, but this often gives strange results, f.e. if a
          reflection of window or interior that is lie from outside light is
          blue but the window itself is white...

          best regtards
        • maston67
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
            Hi Carel

            OK, Carel Ill have a look at those. Thanks

            Masten

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

            > maston67 wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi
            > >
            > > Ive just started using hdr and am pretty amazed by the results.
            > >
            > > Some questions.
            > >
            > > - Been using photomatix trial and am thinking of buying. How
            does it
            > > compare with the utility in the lastest versions of photoshop
            which I
            > > havent got.
            > >
            > > - The windows in the images look fantastic but lights in the
            scene go
            > > very orangey which looks kind of OK, but Id prefer them white.
            This
            > > becomes worse when enhancing the image (to fix the flat renders)
            with a
            > > bit of levels and colour saturation. Is there a way to fix this?
            > >
            > > Many thanks
            > >
            > > Masten
            > >

            > Hi Masten,
            >
            > Photomatix has (had..? I have not used it for a while) a tendency
            > increase the saturation on the tonemapped result. Not so with
            their other
            > (non-tonemapping) algorithm.
            > You should also look at FDRTools and the open source project
            Enfuse.

            > Carel Struycken

          • maston67
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
              Hi Erik

              Ok. Forget about Photoshop then.

              >The "true" HDR tonemappers like in photomatix, FDRTools, picturenaut
              >and so on are ways better than photoshop tonemapping tool. For a
              >comparison an overview see
              >http://wiki.panotools.org/HDR_Software_overview
              >Additionally there is exposure fusion to mention, like implemented
              >in enfuse, tufuse and PTGui pro, which in many panographers' opinion
              >gives even better results than the HDR tonemappers:
              >http://wiki.panotools.org/Enfuse

              Wow, didn't realise there were so many products. What do you think
              produces the best results. Output for me is for web so I dont care
              about creating any hdr file, I just need the tonemapped results. Is
              it true, would you say then that exposure fusion is better as used
              by PTGUI pro. Manybe that would be the best option for me then as
              workflow with ptgui (3.7) and photomatix is terrible. Ill download
              the trial and see for myself.

              As regards the colour temperature thing it's not a white balance
              issue as the images I'm using all have correct white balances for
              outsides and insides on the original raw files. They only go orange
              after tonemapping. Ill try the desaturation thing. That's obvious
              isnt it.

              Thanks for the advice

              Masten

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@...>

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
                On Monday, June 02, 2008 at 20:31, maston67 wrote:

                > What do you think produces the best results.

                enfuse and tufuse used on the single image stacks. There is a GUI
                version of tufuse, called tufuse Pro:
                http://www.tawbaware.com/tufusepro.htm
                PTGui uses exposure fusion on the result panoramas, which is time
                consuming and can give artifacts in Zenith and Nadir.

                > As regards the colour temperature thing it's not a white balance
                > issue as the images I'm using all have correct white balances for
                > outsides and insides on the original raw files. They only go orange
                > after tonemapping.

                Yes, as Carel wrote photomatix (and FDRTools to a lower extent) have
                the tendency to increase saturation (sometimes in a strange way).
                Exposure fusion won't do that, it is a very sophisticated way of
                exposure blending which uses the best exposed parts of each image.
                Hence there should be no change in saturation. But actually it is a
                white balance issue, intensified by tonemapping.

                best regards