Re: [PanoToolsNG] PTStitcherNG for MacOS: fastest stitcher and blender

  • Matthew Rogers
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hi Helmut,

      Thank you so much for taking the time to create these binaries.
      Unfortunately I cannot get them to work on my quad-care MacPro running
      OS 10.5.3. Just a few points:

      1. When you download the http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTStitcherNG0.2a.tar.gz
      file OS 10.5.3 will automatically remove the .gz file extension
      making the terminal script in the read me irrelevant.
      2. You can simply decompress the archive by double clicking it.
      3. There doesn't seem to be an "Others" folder in this distribution.
      4. The PTStitcherNG terminal app isn't recognised as a command line
      executable on my system and I receive a "cannot execute binary file"
      error instead of the list of command line options like it should return.

      Plus the better way for installing a terminal app on OS X is to use
      the menu option finder/go/go to folder/ and enter /Usr/local/bin/ this
      will allow you to install the binary for system wide use. You can then
      call PTStitcherNG from the command line without having to CD to the
      directory.

      Matt

      On 1 Jun 2008, at 10:03, Helmut Dersch wrote:

      > We have now a port of PTStitcherNG0.2a for MacOS (Leopard 10.5.3).
      > Running on the 1.8GHz-core2 mini, it beats any other system
      > listed in Bernhard Vogls gigapixel-speedtest, including 8core/autopano
      > or ptgui installations. Only the Playstation 3 is faster. Some results
      >
      > Some test results (PS3 results in brackets) :
      > 3 x 11 MPixel -------> 18 MPixel equirect 26 sec (17sec)
      > 337 x 6 MPixel ------->1433 MPixel cylinder 12min 50sec (8min 50sec)
      >
      > Fastest other results from Bernhards list
      > Autopano pro/ 8 core AMD
      > 337 x 6 MPixel ------->1433 MPixel cylinder 19min
      > PTGui Pro/ 8 core AMD
      > 337 x 6 MPixel ------->1433 MPixel cylinder 102min
      >
      > PTStitcherNG should be faster on 4 and 8 core systems.
      > I have prepared 3 binaries for testers which are optimized
      > for 2/4/8-core systems (they should run on any system).
      > The final release will autodetect the best configuration;
      > at this stage I am asking for feedback about which is the
      > fastest software for a given hardware.
      > Readme:
      > <http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/Readme.PTStitcherNG0.2a.Mac>
      > Download from this address:
      > <http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTStitcherNG0.2a.tar.gz>
      >
      > PTStitcherNG is a fast implementation of PTStitcher combined
      > with an enblend-like blender. Both warping and blending uses
      > 128bit-float4 RGBA-pixels. This is a testrelease to optimize the
      > program and find bugs. It is limited to 8bit-JPEG input.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Helmut Dersch

    • Helmut Dersch
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...> wrote:

        > Hi Helmut,
        >
        > Thank you so much for taking the time to create these binaries.
        > Unfortunately I cannot get them to work on my quad-care MacPro running

        > 1. When you download the
        http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTStitcherNG0.2a.tar.gz

        Sorry, I posted the link to the Playstation 3 version. The correct link is
        <http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTStitcherNG0.2a.Mac.tar.gz>

        Regards

        Helmut
      • Terry Thrift
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
          Hi Helmut:

          Wow!
          Even on a core2 system your new approach blazes through all that data.

          I'm curious whether the time spent doing file transfers between the
          host and the playstation is long enough that it is currently as time
          efficient to run PTStitcherNG0 on your core2 system?

          How long did it take to do the file management to and from the
          playstation for the 2 cases below?

          Thanks,
          -Terry Thrift-

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Terry Thrift <terry@...> wrote:

            > Hi Helmut:
            >
            > Wow!
            > Even on a core2 system your new approach blazes through all that data.
            >
            > I'm curious whether the time spent doing file transfers between the
            > host and the playstation is long enough that it is currently as time
            > efficient to run PTStitcherNG0 on your core2 system?
            >
            > How long did it take to do the file management to and from the
            > playstation for the 2 cases below?

            The playstation test was run from the internal harddisc of the
            ps3; no file transfer involved. This internal drive is shared
            over lan with my pcs. Saving the source images in this shared
            volume, and later picking up the final panorama is not counted
            in the test times. The ps3 has a 1000MB lan interface, but my own
            lan is only 100MB so I can't provide reasonable numbers.

            As to the speed of the MacOS version: I am quite surprised myself.
            Comparing raw processing power, the PS3 should be >5-10x faster than
            the Macmini, while it is only 1.5-2x. My guess is that MacOS provides
            better system support than yellow dog linux. On the PS3, I achieved
            significant speed increases by rewriting some basic system functions
            like memcpy (rewriting this function alone saved 2min out of 20min
            program execution time). Still, the program spends most of its time in
            system calls. Conclusions: (a) It is mainly the new algorithm which is
            responsible for the speed increase.(b) there is still a lot of room
            for improvements on the ps3.

            Thanks for testing.

            Helmut
          • Anders Jiras
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
              Running Bernhard Vogls gigapixel-speedtest on my new MacBook Pro (my
              old G4 was stolen) gives me the nice result of 8 min 30,681992s. The
              resulting file is 2.37 GB

              The small test project included in PTStitcherNG0.2a runs on: Total: 1.429549s

              I was using PanoTools a lot on OS 7-8-9 time, so that should not be a
              big problem. Terminal is still an unknown though.

              Mac OS X 10.5.3, MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz
              DDR2 SDRAM, L2 Cache 6 MB

              Thanks to Helmut Dersch for all your work freely given to the panorama community

              Anders JirÄs