Re: [PanoToolsNG] Cave -- Enfuse

  • Jann Lipka
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
      Peter, Impressive pano .

      I've done a shoot in a similar location , and from what I found it is
      difficult to
      use Breeze DSLR Remote PRo to photograph this kind of contrasty lighting
      .

      With long exposures what I think is important is "mirror up" and then all of
      a sudden
      Application cannot comunicate with the camera .

      ( I think it would work with a camera that has live view )

      Also it is so much faster to bracket using camera only ...

      I had my computer with me several times and I always give upp because of
      the mirror up unability issue .

      I have done some repairs on the outblown ( despite + 2 - 2 brackets )
      areas using new for Lightroom local correction tools - I think it worked out
      fine .

      Very good work thanks for sharing .

    • Fung Yu
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
        Hi Peter,

        Great work! And the cave is really nice.

        I recently did a cave VR as well:
        http://www.virtualphilippines.net/Panoramas/Coron/kayangan_cave.html

        Done with Enfuse also. But I blend the individual images 1st before
        stitching. Canon 40D, Sigma 8mm, same exposure brackets, and
        with zenith shot.

        Cheers!

        At 06:11 AM 6/1/2008, you wrote:

        ><http://www.mediavr.com/baal.htm>http://www.mediavr.com/baal.htm
        >this is a cave I shot last week -- a "show cave" as they say -- with
        >lighting, paths, steps etc
        >
        >I didnt have much time to shoot this so couldnt do as much bracketing
        >as I would have liked but what you see is a 3 exposure 4 stop bracket
        >(-2, 0 2EV). With this kind of spot lighting on bright surfaces in a
        >cave you would need another 4 stops to get the extreme highlights I
        >think. I will have to get a little laptop to program these extended
        >exposure sequences.
        >
        >Because nothing was moving I could stitch the individual exposure
        >sequences first into panos before blending the 3 stitched panos into
        >a composite with Enfuse. Initially I loaded all the images into PTGui
        >including the exposure variants because my tripod wasnt so stable and
        >I wanted to optimize all exposures individually to compensate for
        >slight movements.
        >
        >This is 500ISO, Canon5d, Sigma 15mm, f5. Two rows. (I should have done
        >a separate zenith shot as the edge sharpness of the Sigma is not too
        >good at f5.)
        >
        >Peter Murphy
        ><http://www.mediavr.com/blog>http://www.mediavr.com/blog

      • paul womack
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
          Jann Lipka wrote:
          > ( I think it would work with a camera that has live view )

          (chuckle)

          For years owners of DSLRs have been telling us humble
          compact camera users that a "proper" viewfinder is essential,
          and the P&S LCD viewfinders have too much lag.

          So what's the latest DSLR "must have" feature?

          The same viewfinder P&S's have!

          BugBear
        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2008
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jann Lipka <jann@...> wrote:

            > I've done a shoot in a similar location , and from what I found it
            is
            > difficult to
            > use Breeze DSLR Remote PRo to photograph this kind of contrasty
            lighting
            > .
            >

            > With long exposures what I think is important is "mirror up" and
            then
            all of
            > a sudden
            > Application cannot comunicate with the camera .

            I will have to test the Breeze Remote demo ... thanks for the info!
            Here is another pano from my trip to the caves ... of a large outdoor
            cavern
            http://www.mediavr.com/grandarch.htm
            This was a 6 shot bracket -- about 9 stops. Here with Enfuse I found
            it
            better to gnerate two panoramas with Enfuse. The first with the
            bottom
            three exposures. The second with the top three. And then Enfuse those
            two panoramas.

            Peter Murphy
            http://www.mediavr.com/blog