Cave -- Enfuse

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2008
      http://www.mediavr.com/baal.htm
      this is a cave I shot last week -- a "show cave" as they say -- with
      lighting, paths, steps etc

      I didnt have much time to shoot this so couldnt do as much bracketing
      as I would have liked but what you see is a 3 exposure 4 stop bracket
      (-2, 0 2EV). With this kind of spot lighting on bright surfaces in a
      cave you would need another 4 stops to get the extreme highlights I
      think. I will have to get a little laptop to program these extended
      exposure sequences.

      Because nothing was moving I could stitch the individual exposure
      sequences first into panos before blending the 3 stitched panos into
      a composite with Enfuse. Initially I loaded all the images into PTGui
      including the exposure variants because my tripod wasnt so stable and
      I wanted to optimize all exposures individually to compensate for
      slight movements.

      This is 500ISO, Canon5d, Sigma 15mm, f5. Two rows. (I should have done
      a separate zenith shot as the edge sharpness of the Sigma is not too
      good at f5.)

      Peter Murphy
      http://www.mediavr.com/blog
    • Jann Lipka
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
        Peter, Impressive pano .

        I've done a shoot in a similar location , and from what I found it is
        difficult to
        use Breeze DSLR Remote PRo to photograph this kind of contrasty lighting
        .

        With long exposures what I think is important is "mirror up" and then all of
        a sudden
        Application cannot comunicate with the camera .

        ( I think it would work with a camera that has live view )

        Also it is so much faster to bracket using camera only ...

        I had my computer with me several times and I always give upp because of
        the mirror up unability issue .

        I have done some repairs on the outblown ( despite + 2 - 2 brackets )
        areas using new for Lightroom local correction tools - I think it worked out
        fine .

        Very good work thanks for sharing .

      • Fung Yu
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
          Hi Peter,

          Great work! And the cave is really nice.

          I recently did a cave VR as well:
          http://www.virtualphilippines.net/Panoramas/Coron/kayangan_cave.html

          Done with Enfuse also. But I blend the individual images 1st before
          stitching. Canon 40D, Sigma 8mm, same exposure brackets, and
          with zenith shot.

          Cheers!

          At 06:11 AM 6/1/2008, you wrote:

          ><http://www.mediavr.com/baal.htm>http://www.mediavr.com/baal.htm
          >this is a cave I shot last week -- a "show cave" as they say -- with
          >lighting, paths, steps etc
          >
          >I didnt have much time to shoot this so couldnt do as much bracketing
          >as I would have liked but what you see is a 3 exposure 4 stop bracket
          >(-2, 0 2EV). With this kind of spot lighting on bright surfaces in a
          >cave you would need another 4 stops to get the extreme highlights I
          >think. I will have to get a little laptop to program these extended
          >exposure sequences.
          >
          >Because nothing was moving I could stitch the individual exposure
          >sequences first into panos before blending the 3 stitched panos into
          >a composite with Enfuse. Initially I loaded all the images into PTGui
          >including the exposure variants because my tripod wasnt so stable and
          >I wanted to optimize all exposures individually to compensate for
          >slight movements.
          >
          >This is 500ISO, Canon5d, Sigma 15mm, f5. Two rows. (I should have done
          >a separate zenith shot as the edge sharpness of the Sigma is not too
          >good at f5.)
          >
          >Peter Murphy
          ><http://www.mediavr.com/blog>http://www.mediavr.com/blog

        • paul womack
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
            Jann Lipka wrote:
            > ( I think it would work with a camera that has live view )

            (chuckle)

            For years owners of DSLRs have been telling us humble
            compact camera users that a "proper" viewfinder is essential,
            and the P&S LCD viewfinders have too much lag.

            So what's the latest DSLR "must have" feature?

            The same viewfinder P&S's have!

            BugBear
          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jann Lipka <jann@...> wrote:

              > I've done a shoot in a similar location , and from what I found it
              is
              > difficult to
              > use Breeze DSLR Remote PRo to photograph this kind of contrasty
              lighting
              > .
              >

              > With long exposures what I think is important is "mirror up" and
              then
              all of
              > a sudden
              > Application cannot comunicate with the camera .

              I will have to test the Breeze Remote demo ... thanks for the info!
              Here is another pano from my trip to the caves ... of a large outdoor
              cavern
              http://www.mediavr.com/grandarch.htm
              This was a 6 shot bracket -- about 9 stops. Here with Enfuse I found
              it
              better to gnerate two panoramas with Enfuse. The first with the
              bottom
              three exposures. The second with the top three. And then Enfuse those
              two panoramas.

              Peter Murphy
              http://www.mediavr.com/blog