Which viewer to use...

  • scannerist
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 3, 2006
      After looking at a number of viewers, I think I've settled on
      Immervision's PURE TOOLS based on my needs. Tell me where I could do
      better or where you think I may be wrong, or lastly, if you agree in
      general with my choice. Here are my needs:

      Some form of encryption so I can demo panos to clients on a temporal
      "timed" basis and / or restrict viewing of the pano to a specific
      domain or web page.

      Minimal to no branding of the viewer (simply because I don't like the
      distractions of advertising)

      High resolution at full screen and smooth movement

      Customizable GUI

      Browser compatibility -- Java seems to be the answer here. (Do I
      really have to provide a QT option at this point? Is it a better viewer?)

      While some of this may sound like an advertisement for Immervision,
      it's not. I have some things I wish were better with the product.
      While the coding for the product appears to be fairly "open
      architecture", and while I like the "PURE TOOLS" aspect, the product
      is underdeveloped for my needs. While I have a background as a
      programmer, I am looking for a more robust "toolkit" for creating a
      more personalized GUI (drag and drop) without having to learn more
      proprietary code.

      I've asked a few questions about this on Immervision forums relative
      to the future of the product, but the conversations there seem to be a
      bit sparse which seems to be a little odd for what otherwise seems to
      be a good core product. Am I missing something or is it the product is
      just that new?

      One of my concerns, in general, is based on what I see is happening
      with the likes of IPIX going out of business -- that and various bits
      and pieces about patents and lawsuits surrounding panoramic
      technologies. I am considering doing this on a part time / full time
      basis and I would like to avoid "compatibility" and "licensing" issues
      -- if that's possible.

      I don't need all the dirty details; I'd just like to know, in brief:
      who the primary players are and what lawsuits are being watched and
      followed so I can do some Googling on the topic.

      Thanks to this group as always. Excellent resource.
    • Tom! Striewisch
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 11, 2006
        Sie schrieben:

        >anyway dont want to mess up their computer. Many offices are very
        >scared of touching their setup. I don't know what you do about these
        >users, all I can think of is to put a plain jpg and instruct them to
        >squint as they pan their eyes accross...

        Maybe you will try my solution:
        http://www.essen-360grad.de/ohnejava/
        Use the link at the bottom of the center frame, named:
        "Ohne Javaplayer"
        Afterwards you can see an older(*) circular panorama with "hotspots"

        (*)Made in the "stoneage" with my first digitalcamera, an AGFA 1280

        Tom!
        Kugelpanorama-Schulungen: http://www.kugelbild.de