Re: new forum set up

  • wblakesx
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
      Sorry , in transition and I just caught up...

      So what sort of categories migh we want? Pans, Software, Utilility,
      Price weighting against utiliity for various uses. Comment on Lenses,
      camerae(?), spit it out we'll edit later.

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "mickael therer" <360days@...> wrote:

      > ahuum,
      >
      > Yahoo and such html email suck, always have and always will, untill
      > standards are achieved.
      > email should just be that and no more: plain text that ALL READERS
      can read.

      > Let's not buy into the marketing emphasis, less is really more here
      > if we are to stick to email,, and I wish we quit the Yahoo model
      > alltogether. Look at the garbage below, I couldn't even design a
      > crappy sig like that even if I wanted to
      >
      > -m (flooded with emails and ranting in ascii)
      >

      > On 7/11/06, Carl von Einem <einem@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > one of my egos wrote:
      > > > I just deleted over 80 lines of garbage.
      > >

      > > ...and just switched from 'full featured emails' to 'traditional', so
      > > much better for my eyes.

    • yuval_levy
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, de gava <wblakesx@...> wrote:
        > For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list of...

        Anything else?

        For a start, it would be nice if you would introduce yourself. I had a
        pleasure, like the other moderators, to read that you "did some pano
        work 6 years ago, I want to develope 'vr' skills. ". I searched for
        "de gava" and for your email address and came across nothing vr but
        the June 12 yahoo mail worm that infected so many YahooGroups. I don't
        even know if "de gava" is your real name. From Google I found out that
        you are probably in Miami and you might have written an article about
        voting machines fraud. Hot weather, eh dude?

        You will find an FAQ at <http://ptfaq.org/> - and there are other
        community ressources which at the moment are... uhum... still hijacked
        and hence I will not link them here. I am sure you can operate
        google.com, right? and maybe structure your findings as an FAQ or a
        list of links and share them with us?

        Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome message to this list -
        specifically what is on topic and what is not. I've added a second
        bullet to that message under "off topic". There is another list that
        deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free to read it and
        make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant problems that
        this community is currently dealing with. Then make whatever
        proposition seems sensible to you. I suspect that for the time being
        you will not find many volunteers for your plans, but nice try anyway.

        Yuv
      • Carl von Einem
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
          not too bad... ;-)

          yuval_levy wrote:
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, de gava <wblakesx@...> wrote:
          >> For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list of...
          >
          > Anything else?
          >
          > For a start, it would be nice if you would introduce yourself. I had a
          > pleasure, like the other moderators, to read that you "did some pano
          > work 6 years ago, I want to develope 'vr' skills. ". I searched for
          > "de gava" and for your email address and came across nothing vr but
          > the June 12 yahoo mail worm that infected so many YahooGroups. I don't
          > even know if "de gava" is your real name. From Google I found out that
          > you are probably in Miami and you might have written an article about
          > voting machines fraud. Hot weather, eh dude?
          >
          > You will find an FAQ at <http://ptfaq.org/> - and there are other
          > community ressources which at the moment are... uhum... still hijacked
          > and hence I will not link them here. I am sure you can operate
          > google.com, right? and maybe structure your findings as an FAQ or a
          > list of links and share them with us?
          >
          > Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome message to this list -
          > specifically what is on topic and what is not. I've added a second
          > bullet to that message under "off topic". There is another list that
          > deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free to read it and
          > make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant problems that
          > this community is currently dealing with. Then make whatever
          > proposition seems sensible to you. I suspect that for the time being
          > you will not find many volunteers for your plans, but nice try anyway.
          >
          > Yuv

        • Carl von Einem
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
            One (read: Carl) should clearly read his own words again when posting to
            the list.

            Carl von Einem made a stupid comment:
            > not too bad...

            Trying to put some sense into that: I like this "welcome message" file
            (which I didn't receive when I was approved). So "trying out the
            features of Yahoo groups" is something I really encourage in some way. I
            also don't like the "bells and whistles" HTMl postings as they are
            really awful for digest readers and for the archive. I am actually used
            to plain ascii digests and prefer those over Yahoo's web interface.

            The FAQ asked for by "de gava" is sort of a legitimate question. So why
            not use the according sections of our group to link to the basics?

            OTOH Yuv has a good point in saying that the priorities lay on other
            topics. Maybe in calmer words?

            > yuval_levy provoked:
            >>
            >> You will find an FAQ at <http://ptfaq.org/> - and there are other
            >> community ressources which at the moment are... uhum... still hijacked
            >> and hence I will not link them here. I am sure you can operate
            >> google.com, right? and maybe structure your findings as an FAQ or a
            >> list of links and share them with us?

            Good idea: "de gava" and whoever likes to fill in some early content.
            Post it here for others or even better: look for the appropriate section

            >> Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome message to this list -
            >> specifically what is on topic and what is not. I've added a second
            >> bullet to that message under "off topic". There is another list that
            >> deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free to read it and
            >> make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant problems that
            >> this community is currently dealing with. Then make whatever
            >> proposition seems sensible to you. I suspect that for the time being
            >> you will not find many volunteers for your plans, but nice try anyway.

            Yuv is understandably a bit concerned about others trying to bring the
            discussion away from those topics we feel to be top priority right now.
            But then... hey, this is the "non-political" list! Keep on bringing
            ideas! This list is brand new and needs some time to organize itself, we
            need everyones help!

            Carl

            ps.
            "de gava", do you have a name for us we can use without those quotation
            marks? Thanks...
          • Thomas Rauscher
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
              Hello Mickael,

              on Tuesday, July 11, 2006, 02:16:19 you wrote:

              mt> ahuum,

              mt> Yahoo and such html email suck, always have and always will, untill
              mt> standards are achieved.
              mt> email should just be that and no more: plain text that ALL READERS can read.

              Have you seen the option at "Edit Membership"
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/join ?

              Just set the "Message Preference" to "Traditional" and you will have
              nice ASCII emails.... ;)

              MfG,
              Thomas.
            • mickael therer
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
                am I dumb, or am I dumb ?

                thank you Thomas !

                -m

                --
                http://www.360days.com
                http://ww2panorama.org
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
                  Well Shut my mouth(keyboard)

                  " Re: new forum set up
                  Posted by: "yuval_levy" yuval_levy@... [ my
                  email address is, like yours in the digest]

                  <wblakesx@...> wrote:
                  > For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list
                  of...

                  "Anything else? [ yes, here was an enquiry, not a
                  statement ]

                  "For a start, it would be nice if you would introduce
                  yourself.

                  "I searched for
                  "de gava" and for your email address and came across
                  nothing vr but
                  the June 12 yahoo mail worm that infected so many ...I
                  don't
                  even know if "de gava" is your real name. From Google
                  I found out that
                  you are probably in Miami and you might have written
                  an article about
                  voting machines fraud. YahooGroups. [ and who said the
                  inquisition was dead? and this para has a peculiar
                  traducatory feel if not intent]

                  "Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome
                  message to this list -
                  specifically what is on topic and what is not. [ no
                  it is Not at all clear, and if you examine it from a
                  npov...]

                  "There is another list that
                  deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free
                  to read it and
                  make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant
                  [ wow you have a strange prose style] problems that
                  this community is currently dealing with. [ where?
                  where's the link?, are you a good mod? or a soso mod?
                  ]
                  Then make whatever
                  proposition seems sensible to you. [ after being
                  castigated for the same thing? sorta puts a damper on
                  ykwim? as does :]
                  I suspect that for the time being
                  you will not find many volunteers for your plans [ I
                  think you may have driven a few off ], but nice try
                  anyway.[ Are you a native English speaker? this kind
                  of phrase is rather jarring, like my Italian friend
                  saying to black people and jews, "you people", of
                  course he says it to everyone, but the black people
                  don't know it. I rather hope you aren't very fluent in
                  the language]

                  Sorry all. I've alienated a mod and perhaps afew
                  others. I'm getting the feeling that it is too stuffy
                  around here and I don't need this shizo treatment.
                  Perhaps I'll place a proxy here or perhaps I'll bugger
                  off. I was trying to move the group to a higher
                  ground, but I can see many here are caught up in
                  details, like close ups.
                  -David, my real name

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • de gava
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
                    I see no answer to my last post perhaps i should
                    drop the issue and move on, but first: It should be
                    remembered by those on the digest scheme that Fora
                    are arranged by Threads. Threads are easy to opt out
                    of and contain their own subject matter, so why a
                    narrow and capricious take on what may be posted?
                    After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
                    will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
                    proper time and place to Institute...institutional
                    utilities.
                    That said, and hoping and 'controversy' is settled,
                    noted that Fora have threads as a constituent and a
                    proper differentiation pointed out, : I belong to a
                    Forum for old cars ( to keep mine running). Everytime
                    I go there there is at least one post from the
                    ministers stating that For Sale items have their own
                    page and a link give. This thread is posted Every
                    dayin that forum. Explicitly, such a device can aid
                    navigation tremendously as it can tip to a nav page
                    and queries can be directected there.
                    As it is the thread will jumble, perhaps that will
                    make for more dedicated membership, there's generally
                    a sort of yin to yang thing, but it also opens up some
                    other probs.
                    I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.
                    Hope some here can read the tea leaves.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • serge Maandag (yahoo)
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
                      > After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
                      > will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
                      > proper time and place to Institute...institutional
                      > utilities.

                      Off-topic will only become a problem once it gets annoying.
                      No worries. This looks to me like something regarding a
                      wish list for rules/regulations. That definitely belongs to
                      the Panotools-List list :)
                      Please join us there.

                      > I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.

                      Yep, here is one.
                      Welcome to the group!

                      Serge.
                    • tflyfish2002
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
                        Man,
                        You've got more Rabbit than Sainsbury's.
                        Why not sign your posts and you might get taken a bit more seriously.
                        I don't wish to start a Flame war, but the word Troll comes to mind.
                        So correct me if I am wrong.

                        Bazzer-- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, de gava <wblakesx@...> wrote:

                        > I see no answer to my last post perhaps i should
                        > drop the issue and move on, but first: It should be
                        > remembered by those on the digest scheme that Fora
                        > are arranged by Threads. Threads are easy to opt out
                        > of and contain their own subject matter, so why a
                        > narrow and capricious take on what may be posted?
                        > After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
                        > will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
                        > proper time and place to Institute...institutional
                        > utilities.
                        > That said, and hoping and 'controversy' is settled,
                        > noted that Fora have threads as a constituent and a
                        > proper differentiation pointed out, : I belong to a
                        > Forum for old cars ( to keep mine running). Everytime
                        > I go there there is at least one post from the
                        > ministers stating that For Sale items have their own
                        > page and a link give. This thread is posted Every
                        > dayin that forum. Explicitly, such a device can aid
                        > navigation tremendously as it can tip to a nav page
                        > and queries can be directected there.
                        > As it is the thread will jumble, perhaps that will
                        > make for more dedicated membership, there's generally
                        > a sort of yin to yang thing, but it also opens up some
                        > other probs.
                        > I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.
                        > Hope some here can read the tea leaves.

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • Ian Wood
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                          (Puts on shiny new moderators hat)

                          This list is for shiny, happy people having fun discussing panoramas.

                          All politics and/or list management topics should be discussed in the
                          appropriate place:

                          (Takes off shiny new moderators hat)

                          Ian
                        • yuval_levy
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                            > (Puts on shiny new moderators hat)
                            >
                            > This list is for shiny, happy people having fun discussing panoramas.
                            >
                            > All politics and/or list management topics should be discussed in the
                            > appropriate place:
                            >
                            > (Takes off shiny new moderators hat)

                            I think this is what Bazzer was trying to say to our exhuberant
                            anonymous newbie and I respect Bazzer for that. We know him and we
                            know he does not have flowers in his mouth. We know his panoramas work
                            and we know that he is often helpful with peer support online.

                            Not things that can be said about "de gava", who wonders why a Jew
                            with Italian as mother tongue and four additional languages under his
                            belt does not answer his off-topic posts and off-list provocations in
                            which his answer to a request for panorama related credential reads
                            like a dating ad?

                            People who have been around in this community long enough know me and
                            my panorama credentials. They also know that I don't have flowers in
                            my mouth either. I rather not answer the provocation than spit fire.

                            shiny happy people laughing.
                            Yuv
                          • de gava
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                              This is outrageous use of this list after the caution
                              given by this jerk to me!!! Bipolar is my guess. Loose
                              name dropping and putting words into other's mouths
                              seems alittle too 'happy' for me. He has my email and
                              is abusing the list and any staus mod or not within. I
                              take this as a personal attack as is generally grounds
                              for banning or a caution. And the Anti Jew Jew baiting
                              is extemely offensive.

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Kathy Wheeler
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                                I am sure I do not need to remind the good members of this list that
                                inflammatory posts, deliberate or otherwise, should not be responded
                                to either on list or off.

                                Regards,
                                KathyW.
                              • Flemming V. Larsen
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 14, 2006
                                  Totally agree. As a wise person once said:

                                  "Not until we understand, that deep down we really don't understand each
                                  other, we can begin to understand"

                                  so be polite and tolerant - and if you still want to bang your head on
                                  somebody try some other place - perhaps here.....;-):
                                  http://widelec.org/zidane.html

                                  - Flemming ;-)