Re: New Gigapixel Speedtest results

  • Helmut Dersch
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2008
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

      > To make it short: The speed-crown is back on a AMD/Windows machine.

      Not any more. The next version of PTStitcherNG (0.2a)
      finishes your test in 8min 48s, more than 2 times faster
      than the AMD machine. I will post it for download
      in the next week.

      And btw: the currently published version (0.1a)
      runs the test in 22min, which is not that much (2,53x) slower
      than the 19min for the AMD.

      >The
      > software used was Autopano Pro 1.4.1 64bit beta:
      > 19 minutes compared to 48 minutes on the PS3.
      > This is...
      > ... 2,53 times faster than the PS3

      This
      > ... 8,32 times faster than the reference machine running PTGui
      > ... and still 4,21 times faster than the reference machine running
      > Autopano Pro 32bit.

      ..... the cell processor concept is superiour
      > compared to a classic Intel-based design.
      > It isn't - it is MORE COST EFFICIENT than a Intel-based machine.

      Well, look at the price tag of
      cell-equipped IBM-blade-servers: you can buy many
      (>10 when I last checked) Intel/AMD machines for that money.

      Best regards

      Helmut Dersch