Re: [PanoToolsNG] ANN: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 27 , May 3, 2008
      Beautiful work! What great fun it would be to build
      my own pano head.

      From what I've seen on the net, I agree with your
      views on NN and the positive attitudes of the
      guys there.

      I'm just trying to make the right choices for myself.

      Daniel Reetz wrote:
      >> I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
      >> Living on a budget and without tools sucks...
      >

      > I know how you feel. I spent a year in Russia without any tools-- it
      > was really hard. It was there that I bought a Nodal Ninja; I bought it
      > after I saw Nick Fan gracefully responding to criticism in the Realviz
      > Stitcher forums. I was impressed with his response and his willingness
      > to help with my problems with the Russian postal system.
      >
      > When I returned to the US and had the opportunity to spend $$$ on a
      > new system, I ended up making my own. I bought a mill, mini-lathe and
      > rotary table and machined a very precise rotator to my own
      > specifications. Here's a development shot of it:
      >
      > http://danreetz.com/ongoing/2008_daniel_reetz__0023_camera_rotator.jpg
      >
      > To each their own. Looking forward to the 180.
      > DR
      >

      >> Andrew Crawford wrote:

      >> > You mean something like this?
      >> >
      >> > http://www.evermore.com/temp/PanoBracket/
      >> >
      >> > I took a few measurements, played with a piece of cardboard for a few
      >> > minutes and, had a local steel place fabricate this for me. Then, I
      >> > covered it with a clear protective coat, glued on some cork, and
      >> > installed a threaded bolt. It took a few whacks with a hammer to get it
      >> > spot-on but, it works fantastic. Of course, it is specific to a
      >> > particular body and lens combination (Canon Rebel and Nikon 10.5mm
      >>fisheye).
      >> >
      >> > Andrew Crawford

    • Bill Bailey
      Message 2 of 27 , May 3, 2008
        Forum decorum concerns have been brought to our attention by the moderators
        of PanoToolsNG.
        We are very embarrassed that this announcement has taken an unprofessional
        tone and sincerely apologize for this.
        I believe it best we simply step aside and we'll refrain from using this
        platform to announce future product release.
        We would kindly ask folks to stop by our website or visit our new NN forum
        from time to time as we have many new products on the horizon.

        All the best.

        Bill Bailey
        Director Global Sales and Marketing
        www.NodalNinja.com
        Message 3 of 27 , May 3, 2008
          It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
          this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.

          AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
          announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
          manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.

          Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
          IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
          attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
          NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
          would have been enough.

          Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
          that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
          barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.

          Please stay.
          Yuv

          Bill Bailey wrote:
          > Forum decorum concerns have been brought to our attention by the moderators
          > of PanoToolsNG.
          > We are very embarrassed that this announcement has taken an unprofessional
          > tone and sincerely apologize for this.
          > I believe it best we simply step aside and we'll refrain from using this
          > platform to announce future product release.
          > We would kindly ask folks to stop by our website or visit our new NN forum
          > from time to time as we have many new products on the horizon.
          >
          > All the best.
          >
          > Bill Bailey
          > Director Global Sales and Marketing
          > www.NodalNinja.com
        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 27 , May 3, 2008
            I concur 100% with Yuval's words, from the request that you and other
            hardware manufacturers keep posting info about new developments here,
            through to the personal reluctance to use web-based forums. :-)

            Sometime around 3/5/08 (at 14:13 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

            >It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
            >this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.
            >
            >AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
            >announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
            >manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.
            >
            >Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
            >IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
            >attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
            >NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
            >would have been enough.
            >
            >Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
            >that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
            >barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.
            >
            >Please stay.
            >Yuv
          • Milko K. Amorth
            Message 5 of 27 , May 3, 2008
              Ditto on all points.
              Well put, Yuv.
              Nothing wrong with mods showing the flag publicly. Sometimes people do
              not realize the 'tone' in their writing. Its an international list after
              all.

              Cheers, Milko

              --
              Milko K.Amorth
              ph:604.561.5101

              www.VRCanada.ca
              360° Immersive Imaging
              Skype: VRdundee

              Check out the new release of Lucid Flash Viewer in HD!
            • AYRTON
              Message 6 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:

                > I concur 100% with Yuval's words, from the request that you and other
                > hardware manufacturers keep posting info about new developments here,
                > through to the personal reluctance to use web-based forums. :-)

                idem
                it's the same with me
                both subjects
                I hate forums :-(
                I like to receive new peoducts infos :-)

                Abcs
                AYRTON

                > Sometime around 3/5/08 (at 14:13 -0400) Yuval Levy said:
                >
                > >It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
                > >this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.
                > >
                > >AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
                > >announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
                > >manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.
                > >
                > >Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
                > >IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
                > >attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
                > >NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
                > >would have been enough.
                > >
                > >Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
                > >that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
                > >barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.
                > >
                > >Please stay.
                > >Yuv

                ------------
                | A Y R |
                | T O N |
                ------------

                + 55 21 9982 6313

                http://ayrton360.com
                http://rio.360cities.net
                http://vrfolio.com
                http://ayrton.com

              • Andrew Crawford
                Message 7 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                  Ken Warner wrote:
                  > I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
                  > Living on a budget and without tools sucks...

                  I do understand.

                  FWIW, the local steel place charged me about $30 USD for half an hour of
                  their time and a little piece of steel. I probably spent another couple
                  hours adding 50 cents worth of cork, a fraction of a $4 can of clear
                  coat, and 25 cents worth of screws.

                  Andrew Crawford