Re: [PanoToolsNG] ANN: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

  • Daniel Reetz
    Message 1 of 27 , May 2, 2008
      > I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
      > Living on a budget and without tools sucks...

      I know how you feel. I spent a year in Russia without any tools-- it
      was really hard. It was there that I bought a Nodal Ninja; I bought it
      after I saw Nick Fan gracefully responding to criticism in the Realviz
      Stitcher forums. I was impressed with his response and his willingness
      to help with my problems with the Russian postal system.

      When I returned to the US and had the opportunity to spend $$$ on a
      new system, I ended up making my own. I bought a mill, mini-lathe and
      rotary table and machined a very precise rotator to my own
      specifications. Here's a development shot of it:

      http://danreetz.com/ongoing/2008_daniel_reetz__0023_camera_rotator.jpg

      To each their own. Looking forward to the 180.
      DR

      > Andrew Crawford wrote:
      > > Ken Warner wrote:
      > >
      > >>While I am one to beat a dead horse frequently. All
      > >>I'm going to say is that my monopod doesn't need a
      > >>rotator -- but it needs a way to position the lens
      > >>over the axis of rotation and tilt the camera
      > >>around the nodal point easily.
      > >

      > > You mean something like this?
      > >
      > > http://www.evermore.com/temp/PanoBracket/
      > >
      > > I took a few measurements, played with a piece of cardboard for a few
      > > minutes and, had a local steel place fabricate this for me. Then, I
      > > covered it with a clear protective coat, glued on some cork, and
      > > installed a threaded bolt. It took a few whacks with a hammer to get it
      > > spot-on but, it works fantastic. Of course, it is specific to a
      > > particular body and lens combination (Canon Rebel and Nikon 10.5mm
      > fisheye).
      > >
      > > Andrew Crawford

    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 27 , May 3, 2008
        Beautiful work! What great fun it would be to build
        my own pano head.

        From what I've seen on the net, I agree with your
        views on NN and the positive attitudes of the
        guys there.

        I'm just trying to make the right choices for myself.

        Daniel Reetz wrote:
        >> I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
        >> Living on a budget and without tools sucks...
        >

        > I know how you feel. I spent a year in Russia without any tools-- it
        > was really hard. It was there that I bought a Nodal Ninja; I bought it
        > after I saw Nick Fan gracefully responding to criticism in the Realviz
        > Stitcher forums. I was impressed with his response and his willingness
        > to help with my problems with the Russian postal system.
        >
        > When I returned to the US and had the opportunity to spend $$$ on a
        > new system, I ended up making my own. I bought a mill, mini-lathe and
        > rotary table and machined a very precise rotator to my own
        > specifications. Here's a development shot of it:
        >
        > http://danreetz.com/ongoing/2008_daniel_reetz__0023_camera_rotator.jpg
        >
        > To each their own. Looking forward to the 180.
        > DR
        >

        >> Andrew Crawford wrote:

        >> > You mean something like this?
        >> >
        >> > http://www.evermore.com/temp/PanoBracket/
        >> >
        >> > I took a few measurements, played with a piece of cardboard for a few
        >> > minutes and, had a local steel place fabricate this for me. Then, I
        >> > covered it with a clear protective coat, glued on some cork, and
        >> > installed a threaded bolt. It took a few whacks with a hammer to get it
        >> > spot-on but, it works fantastic. Of course, it is specific to a
        >> > particular body and lens combination (Canon Rebel and Nikon 10.5mm
        >>fisheye).
        >> >
        >> > Andrew Crawford

      • Bill Bailey
        Message 3 of 27 , May 3, 2008
          Forum decorum concerns have been brought to our attention by the moderators
          of PanoToolsNG.
          We are very embarrassed that this announcement has taken an unprofessional
          tone and sincerely apologize for this.
          I believe it best we simply step aside and we'll refrain from using this
          platform to announce future product release.
          We would kindly ask folks to stop by our website or visit our new NN forum
          from time to time as we have many new products on the horizon.

          All the best.

          Bill Bailey
          Director Global Sales and Marketing
          www.NodalNinja.com
          Message 4 of 27 , May 3, 2008
            It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
            this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.

            AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
            announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
            manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.

            Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
            IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
            attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
            NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
            would have been enough.

            Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
            that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
            barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.

            Please stay.
            Yuv

            Bill Bailey wrote:
            > Forum decorum concerns have been brought to our attention by the moderators
            > of PanoToolsNG.
            > We are very embarrassed that this announcement has taken an unprofessional
            > tone and sincerely apologize for this.
            > I believe it best we simply step aside and we'll refrain from using this
            > platform to announce future product release.
            > We would kindly ask folks to stop by our website or visit our new NN forum
            > from time to time as we have many new products on the horizon.
            >
            > All the best.
            >
            > Bill Bailey
            > Director Global Sales and Marketing
            > www.NodalNinja.com
          • Keith Martin
            Message 5 of 27 , May 3, 2008
              I concur 100% with Yuval's words, from the request that you and other
              hardware manufacturers keep posting info about new developments here,
              through to the personal reluctance to use web-based forums. :-)

              Sometime around 3/5/08 (at 14:13 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

              >It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
              >this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.
              >
              >AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
              >announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
              >manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.
              >
              >Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
              >IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
              >attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
              >NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
              >would have been enough.
              >
              >Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
              >that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
              >barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.
              >
              >Please stay.
              >Yuv
            • Milko K. Amorth
              Message 6 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                Ditto on all points.
                Well put, Yuv.
                Nothing wrong with mods showing the flag publicly. Sometimes people do
                not realize the 'tone' in their writing. Its an international list after
                all.

                Cheers, Milko

                --
                Milko K.Amorth
                ph:604.561.5101

                www.VRCanada.ca
                360° Immersive Imaging
                Skype: VRdundee

                Check out the new release of Lucid Flash Viewer in HD!
              • AYRTON
                Message 7 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                  On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:

                  > I concur 100% with Yuval's words, from the request that you and other
                  > hardware manufacturers keep posting info about new developments here,
                  > through to the personal reluctance to use web-based forums. :-)

                  idem
                  it's the same with me
                  both subjects
                  I hate forums :-(
                  I like to receive new peoducts infos :-)

                  Abcs
                  AYRTON

                  > Sometime around 3/5/08 (at 14:13 -0400) Yuval Levy said:
                  >
                  > >It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
                  > >this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.
                  > >
                  > >AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
                  > >announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
                  > >manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.
                  > >
                  > >Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
                  > >IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
                  > >attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
                  > >NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
                  > >would have been enough.
                  > >
                  > >Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
                  > >that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
                  > >barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.
                  > >
                  > >Please stay.
                  > >Yuv

                  ------------
                  | A Y R |
                  | T O N |
                  ------------

                  + 55 21 9982 6313

                  http://ayrton360.com
                  http://rio.360cities.net
                  http://vrfolio.com
                  http://ayrton.com

                • Andrew Crawford
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                    Ken Warner wrote:
                    > I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
                    > Living on a budget and without tools sucks...

                    I do understand.

                    FWIW, the local steel place charged me about $30 USD for half an hour of
                    their time and a little piece of steel. I probably spent another couple
                    hours adding 50 cents worth of cork, a fraction of a $4 can of clear
                    coat, and 25 cents worth of screws.

                    Andrew Crawford