360Precision Adjuste not being very precise!

  • Scott Witte
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2008
      I've had great difficulty batch stitching or applying a template using
      the 360 Precision Adjuste for some time. In my efforts to find out what
      is wrong I just conducted a test to see if the head actually aligned
      precisely and repeatably. It doesn't. In fact this has always been a
      concern since it just doesn't seem to snap into place that well and I
      even have taken to moving back and forth over the detent to be "sure" it
      is in place. So, I tested by taking a shot, then a complete rotation,
      take another shot etc. for five or six rotations. I open the images in
      Lightroom, applied a crop to the first and synced it to all the others
      so I know they all covered exactly the same area of each image. I
      assembled them in to this animated GIF at 100%
      <http://www.scottwitte.com/temp/360P_Accuracy.gif> Result: you can see
      they don't exactly line up.

      This seems contrary to the very essence of the 360P line. So, can this
      be my problem? Is there an adjustment that will fix it?

      BTW, I'm mounting directly to the center column of a Bogen / Monfrotto
      3236 tripod. The legs are not fully extend and are tightly locked. The
      center post is not extended and is securely tighten. The whole thing was
      sitting on a sturdy wood floor, and it sure doesn't feel to be moving at
      all, so I would be surprised if the problem is the tripod.

      Please note: This is NOT to trash the Adjuste, which I know has a great
      reputation. But something seems wrong with mine, my system or something
      that I am doing. I have emailed Matt and am sure he will get back to me
      but I have a rather large job on Monday and I'm hoping I can resolve
      this before then.

      --
      Scott Witte
      ---------------------------------

      Member, APA | Midwest

    • Chris Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2008
        Hi Scott..

        I have an "Adjust" and it works great.

        I noticed your animated gif was a series of 5

        With the Adjust I believe it's to be set to 4/6/8/ or up to 36 shots
        around..depending on your detent ring and camera set-up. no 5 series

        When you unscrew the top with the level on it you have 4 allen keyed options

        You need to tighten down the option you want to shot.. The others should
        be"up"

        If you tighten too much or not enough the ring will not "snap" securely or
        will not move easily.

        Check all your settings, if that doesn't work.. they'll solve your problem
        through "support".

        Good luck

        chris

        Chris Thomas

        Photographer

        cell... 604-649-5352

        In North America

        call... 1-800-870-5110

        <http://www.scottwit <http://www.scottwitte.com/temp/360P_Accuracy.gif>
        te.com/temp/360P_Accuracy.gif> Result: you can see
        they don't exactly line up.

        [Chris Thomas] snip

      • Scott Witte
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2008
          For anyone interested (and based on how many followed the link to my
          animated GIF a lot of you were), I want to report that Stu kindly took
          time from his weekend to help me sort out the problem. When I started
          this I got a variation of 5 to 9 pixels between shots taken at the same
          detent. After the adjustments Stu recommended I am down to one or two,
          it seems. That should work for me.

          So, Thanks, Stu!

          --
          Scott Witte
          ---------------------------------
          *WITTE *ON* LOCATION*
          414.345.9660
          www.scottwitte.com <http://www.scottwitte.com>

          Member, APA | Midwest

        • John Riley
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2008
            What did you have to adjust?

            John Riley
            johnriley@...
            jriley@...

            On May 4, 2008, at 3:19 PM, Scott Witte wrote:

            > For anyone interested (and based on how many followed the link to my
            > animated GIF a lot of you were), I want to report that Stu kindly took
            > time from his weekend to help me sort out the problem. When I started
            > this I got a variation of 5 to 9 pixels between shots taken at the
            > same
            > detent. After the adjustments Stu recommended I am down to one or two,
            > it seems. That should work for me.
            >
            > So, Thanks, Stu!
            >
            > --
            > Scott Witte

          • Scott Witte
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2008
              John Riley wrote:
              > What did you have to adjust?
              Simply put, the detent plunger tension. (I have the MK1 version of the
              head.) It was worrisome loosening the screw to make the adjustment as it
              was frozen with Locktite or something similar and I was afraid I would
              strip the head. But I managed. By changing the tension I got something
              that seems good. I will know better after this week's VR shoot.

              --
              Scott Witte