Re: [PanoToolsNG] ANN: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 27 , May 2, 2008
      Yes, something like that. I really don't want to carry more
      weight around than necessary. Any of the commercial
      pano heads would do but in most cases they are over kill
      because they have to work for a whole bunch of different
      cameras. So far, the NN series is closest to what I want.

      I keep waiting for the right auction on eBay.

      I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
      Living on a budget and without tools sucks...

      Andrew Crawford wrote:
      > Ken Warner wrote:
      >
      >>While I am one to beat a dead horse frequently. All
      >>I'm going to say is that my monopod doesn't need a
      >>rotator -- but it needs a way to position the lens
      >>over the axis of rotation and tilt the camera
      >>around the nodal point easily.
      >

      > You mean something like this?
      >
      > http://www.evermore.com/temp/PanoBracket/
      >
      > I took a few measurements, played with a piece of cardboard for a few
      > minutes and, had a local steel place fabricate this for me. Then, I
      > covered it with a clear protective coat, glued on some cork, and
      > installed a threaded bolt. It took a few whacks with a hammer to get it
      > spot-on but, it works fantastic. Of course, it is specific to a
      > particular body and lens combination (Canon Rebel and Nikon 10.5mm fisheye).
      >
      > Andrew Crawford

    • Daniel Reetz
      Message 2 of 27 , May 2, 2008
        > I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
        > Living on a budget and without tools sucks...

        I know how you feel. I spent a year in Russia without any tools-- it
        was really hard. It was there that I bought a Nodal Ninja; I bought it
        after I saw Nick Fan gracefully responding to criticism in the Realviz
        Stitcher forums. I was impressed with his response and his willingness
        to help with my problems with the Russian postal system.

        When I returned to the US and had the opportunity to spend $$$ on a
        new system, I ended up making my own. I bought a mill, mini-lathe and
        rotary table and machined a very precise rotator to my own
        specifications. Here's a development shot of it:

        http://danreetz.com/ongoing/2008_daniel_reetz__0023_camera_rotator.jpg

        To each their own. Looking forward to the 180.
        DR

        > Andrew Crawford wrote:
        > > Ken Warner wrote:
        > >
        > >>While I am one to beat a dead horse frequently. All
        > >>I'm going to say is that my monopod doesn't need a
        > >>rotator -- but it needs a way to position the lens
        > >>over the axis of rotation and tilt the camera
        > >>around the nodal point easily.
        > >

        > > You mean something like this?
        > >
        > > http://www.evermore.com/temp/PanoBracket/
        > >
        > > I took a few measurements, played with a piece of cardboard for a few
        > > minutes and, had a local steel place fabricate this for me. Then, I
        > > covered it with a clear protective coat, glued on some cork, and
        > > installed a threaded bolt. It took a few whacks with a hammer to get it
        > > spot-on but, it works fantastic. Of course, it is specific to a
        > > particular body and lens combination (Canon Rebel and Nikon 10.5mm
        > fisheye).
        > >
        > > Andrew Crawford

      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 27 , May 3, 2008
          Beautiful work! What great fun it would be to build
          my own pano head.

          From what I've seen on the net, I agree with your
          views on NN and the positive attitudes of the
          guys there.

          I'm just trying to make the right choices for myself.

          Daniel Reetz wrote:
          >> I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
          >> Living on a budget and without tools sucks...
          >

          > I know how you feel. I spent a year in Russia without any tools-- it
          > was really hard. It was there that I bought a Nodal Ninja; I bought it
          > after I saw Nick Fan gracefully responding to criticism in the Realviz
          > Stitcher forums. I was impressed with his response and his willingness
          > to help with my problems with the Russian postal system.
          >
          > When I returned to the US and had the opportunity to spend $$$ on a
          > new system, I ended up making my own. I bought a mill, mini-lathe and
          > rotary table and machined a very precise rotator to my own
          > specifications. Here's a development shot of it:
          >
          > http://danreetz.com/ongoing/2008_daniel_reetz__0023_camera_rotator.jpg
          >
          > To each their own. Looking forward to the 180.
          > DR
          >

          >> Andrew Crawford wrote:

          >> > You mean something like this?
          >> >
          >> > http://www.evermore.com/temp/PanoBracket/
          >> >
          >> > I took a few measurements, played with a piece of cardboard for a few
          >> > minutes and, had a local steel place fabricate this for me. Then, I
          >> > covered it with a clear protective coat, glued on some cork, and
          >> > installed a threaded bolt. It took a few whacks with a hammer to get it
          >> > spot-on but, it works fantastic. Of course, it is specific to a
          >> > particular body and lens combination (Canon Rebel and Nikon 10.5mm
          >>fisheye).
          >> >
          >> > Andrew Crawford

        • Bill Bailey
          Message 4 of 27 , May 3, 2008
            Forum decorum concerns have been brought to our attention by the moderators
            of PanoToolsNG.
            We are very embarrassed that this announcement has taken an unprofessional
            tone and sincerely apologize for this.
            I believe it best we simply step aside and we'll refrain from using this
            platform to announce future product release.
            We would kindly ask folks to stop by our website or visit our new NN forum
            from time to time as we have many new products on the horizon.

            All the best.

            Bill Bailey
            Director Global Sales and Marketing
            www.NodalNinja.com
            Message 5 of 27 , May 3, 2008
              It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
              this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.

              AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
              announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
              manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.

              Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
              IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
              attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
              NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
              would have been enough.

              Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
              that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
              barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.

              Please stay.
              Yuv

              Bill Bailey wrote:
              > Forum decorum concerns have been brought to our attention by the moderators
              > of PanoToolsNG.
              > We are very embarrassed that this announcement has taken an unprofessional
              > tone and sincerely apologize for this.
              > I believe it best we simply step aside and we'll refrain from using this
              > platform to announce future product release.
              > We would kindly ask folks to stop by our website or visit our new NN forum
              > from time to time as we have many new products on the horizon.
              >
              > All the best.
              >
              > Bill Bailey
              > Director Global Sales and Marketing
              > www.NodalNinja.com
            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                I concur 100% with Yuval's words, from the request that you and other
                hardware manufacturers keep posting info about new developments here,
                through to the personal reluctance to use web-based forums. :-)

                Sometime around 3/5/08 (at 14:13 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

                >It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
                >this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.
                >
                >AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
                >announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
                >manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.
                >
                >Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
                >IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
                >attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
                >NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
                >would have been enough.
                >
                >Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
                >that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
                >barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.
                >
                >Please stay.
                >Yuv
              • Milko K. Amorth
                Message 7 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                  Ditto on all points.
                  Well put, Yuv.
                  Nothing wrong with mods showing the flag publicly. Sometimes people do
                  not realize the 'tone' in their writing. Its an international list after
                  all.

                  Cheers, Milko

                  --
                  Milko K.Amorth
                  ph:604.561.5101

                  www.VRCanada.ca
                  360° Immersive Imaging
                  Skype: VRdundee

                  Check out the new release of Lucid Flash Viewer in HD!
                • AYRTON
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                    On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:

                    > I concur 100% with Yuval's words, from the request that you and other
                    > hardware manufacturers keep posting info about new developments here,
                    > through to the personal reluctance to use web-based forums. :-)

                    idem
                    it's the same with me
                    both subjects
                    I hate forums :-(
                    I like to receive new peoducts infos :-)

                    Abcs
                    AYRTON

                    > Sometime around 3/5/08 (at 14:13 -0400) Yuval Levy said:
                    >
                    > >It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
                    > >this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.
                    > >
                    > >AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
                    > >announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
                    > >manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.
                    > >
                    > >Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
                    > >IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
                    > >attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
                    > >NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
                    > >would have been enough.
                    > >
                    > >Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
                    > >that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
                    > >barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.
                    > >
                    > >Please stay.
                    > >Yuv

                    ------------
                    | A Y R |
                    | T O N |
                    ------------

                    + 55 21 9982 6313

                    http://ayrton360.com
                    http://rio.360cities.net
                    http://vrfolio.com
                    http://ayrton.com

                  • Andrew Crawford
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                      Ken Warner wrote:
                      > I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
                      > Living on a budget and without tools sucks...

                      I do understand.

                      FWIW, the local steel place charged me about $30 USD for half an hour of
                      their time and a little piece of steel. I probably spent another couple
                      hours adding 50 cents worth of cork, a fraction of a $4 can of clear
                      coat, and 25 cents worth of screws.

                      Andrew Crawford