Re: [PanoToolsNG] ANN: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

  • Andrew Crawford
    Message 1 of 27 , May 2, 2008
      Ken Warner wrote:
      > While I am one to beat a dead horse frequently. All
      > I'm going to say is that my monopod doesn't need a
      > rotator -- but it needs a way to position the lens
      > over the axis of rotation and tilt the camera
      > around the nodal point easily.

      You mean something like this?

      http://www.evermore.com/temp/PanoBracket/

      I took a few measurements, played with a piece of cardboard for a few
      minutes and, had a local steel place fabricate this for me. Then, I
      covered it with a clear protective coat, glued on some cork, and
      installed a threaded bolt. It took a few whacks with a hammer to get it
      spot-on but, it works fantastic. Of course, it is specific to a
      particular body and lens combination (Canon Rebel and Nikon 10.5mm fisheye).

      Andrew Crawford
    • Matthew Rogers
      Message 2 of 27 , May 2, 2008

        > I guess you´re kidding in which case :o)
        >
        > However, I would never ever recommend anyone to buy into this kind of
        > marketing and trade in their Nodal Ninjas for that way over priced
        > other product.

        What are you talking about, I get asked all the time if we take trade-
        ins and on the rare occasion we do. There's absolutely nothing wrong
        with offering a trade-in, Nodal Ninja buy back pano-heads. Lot's of
        industries offer trade-ins. Maybe you didn’t realise you can trade-in
        your old car and get money off a new one :) It's not as though we're
        poaching email addresses from email lists and forums and spamming
        people. We were 100% honest and upfront about the deal. And some
        people have already responded in excitement to the offer.

        What you also may not realise is that a large percentage of our
        customers upgrade from other panoheads. Quite often they just throw
        the old in the back of the cupboard or flog it on ebay. I know I still
        have three old Kaidan heads rumbling around somewhere.

        We're actually going to set-up a programme where-by students can apply
        for the panoheads free of charge on a case by case basis.

        We've now sold well over 1,000 panoheads and I've only ever had one
        customer tell me that they thought that the head was over-priced.
        Until you've actually seen one and used it day to day you have no
        right to comment. You can say what you want but the Absolute and
        Adjuste are the only panoheads available that are accurate enough to
        offer true batch stitching.

        If you run a business shooting panoramas and not just as a hobby then
        you might be able to actually see the benefit. We get emails from
        customers all the time telling us that without the 360Precision
        Absolute there's no way they could shoot and produce the amount of
        content they can in such short timeframes. And in some cases, without
        our products their projects would never be viable.

        > What I´m sayin: Nodal Ninja is a professional panohead, used by
        > professionals all over the world, which are praising it for its value
        > AND quality AND the great support.

        It was tongue in cheek, you need to chill out and not take everything
        so seriously. But can you use an Hasselblad H3D with a 150mm lens or a
        1DsMK3 with a 500mm lens on a Nodal Ninja, probably not and it's not
        designed to handle it. Again, unless you've actually seen or used our
        products you don't know what you're talking about.
        > 360precision is also a professional panohead, but the person marketing
        > it is using such low blows that it´s starting to annoy the hell out of
        > me, and I know I am not the only one.

        How is offering a trade-in any different than offering to buy back a
        product ? It's actually more fair to the buyer because we're not
        restricting the offer to just trade-ins on old 360Precision heads.

        > In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "ptgroup" <ptgroup@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > dalileis:
        > > at least you can trade it in : Matt wil pay 95 GBP !
        > > http://www.panoguide.com/forums/commercial/4800/
        > >
        > > At least I am a very satisfied NN user and Bill responses to his
        > customer.
        > >
        > > Looks like 360P doesn´t need customers:
        > >
        > http://www.panorama-forum.net/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=17015#post170
        > > 15
        > >
        > > I am in contact with Thorsten Ohme from PanoMaxx - they developed
        > a nice
        > > head for a very reasonable price.
        > >

        > > ciao
        > > mike
        > > www.360de.de

      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 27 , May 2, 2008
          Yes, something like that. I really don't want to carry more
          weight around than necessary. Any of the commercial
          pano heads would do but in most cases they are over kill
          because they have to work for a whole bunch of different
          cameras. So far, the NN series is closest to what I want.

          I keep waiting for the right auction on eBay.

          I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
          Living on a budget and without tools sucks...

          Andrew Crawford wrote:
          > Ken Warner wrote:
          >
          >>While I am one to beat a dead horse frequently. All
          >>I'm going to say is that my monopod doesn't need a
          >>rotator -- but it needs a way to position the lens
          >>over the axis of rotation and tilt the camera
          >>around the nodal point easily.
          >

          > You mean something like this?
          >
          > http://www.evermore.com/temp/PanoBracket/
          >
          > I took a few measurements, played with a piece of cardboard for a few
          > minutes and, had a local steel place fabricate this for me. Then, I
          > covered it with a clear protective coat, glued on some cork, and
          > installed a threaded bolt. It took a few whacks with a hammer to get it
          > spot-on but, it works fantastic. Of course, it is specific to a
          > particular body and lens combination (Canon Rebel and Nikon 10.5mm fisheye).
          >
          > Andrew Crawford

        • Daniel Reetz
          Message 4 of 27 , May 2, 2008
            > I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
            > Living on a budget and without tools sucks...

            I know how you feel. I spent a year in Russia without any tools-- it
            was really hard. It was there that I bought a Nodal Ninja; I bought it
            after I saw Nick Fan gracefully responding to criticism in the Realviz
            Stitcher forums. I was impressed with his response and his willingness
            to help with my problems with the Russian postal system.

            When I returned to the US and had the opportunity to spend $$$ on a
            new system, I ended up making my own. I bought a mill, mini-lathe and
            rotary table and machined a very precise rotator to my own
            specifications. Here's a development shot of it:

            http://danreetz.com/ongoing/2008_daniel_reetz__0023_camera_rotator.jpg

            To each their own. Looking forward to the 180.
            DR

            > Andrew Crawford wrote:
            > > Ken Warner wrote:
            > >
            > >>While I am one to beat a dead horse frequently. All
            > >>I'm going to say is that my monopod doesn't need a
            > >>rotator -- but it needs a way to position the lens
            > >>over the axis of rotation and tilt the camera
            > >>around the nodal point easily.
            > >

            > > You mean something like this?
            > >
            > > http://www.evermore.com/temp/PanoBracket/
            > >
            > > I took a few measurements, played with a piece of cardboard for a few
            > > minutes and, had a local steel place fabricate this for me. Then, I
            > > covered it with a clear protective coat, glued on some cork, and
            > > installed a threaded bolt. It took a few whacks with a hammer to get it
            > > spot-on but, it works fantastic. Of course, it is specific to a
            > > particular body and lens combination (Canon Rebel and Nikon 10.5mm
            > fisheye).
            > >
            > > Andrew Crawford

          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 27 , May 3, 2008
              Beautiful work! What great fun it would be to build
              my own pano head.

              From what I've seen on the net, I agree with your
              views on NN and the positive attitudes of the
              guys there.

              I'm just trying to make the right choices for myself.

              Daniel Reetz wrote:
              >> I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
              >> Living on a budget and without tools sucks...
              >

              > I know how you feel. I spent a year in Russia without any tools-- it
              > was really hard. It was there that I bought a Nodal Ninja; I bought it
              > after I saw Nick Fan gracefully responding to criticism in the Realviz
              > Stitcher forums. I was impressed with his response and his willingness
              > to help with my problems with the Russian postal system.
              >
              > When I returned to the US and had the opportunity to spend $$$ on a
              > new system, I ended up making my own. I bought a mill, mini-lathe and
              > rotary table and machined a very precise rotator to my own
              > specifications. Here's a development shot of it:
              >
              > http://danreetz.com/ongoing/2008_daniel_reetz__0023_camera_rotator.jpg
              >
              > To each their own. Looking forward to the 180.
              > DR
              >

              >> Andrew Crawford wrote:

              >> > You mean something like this?
              >> >
              >> > http://www.evermore.com/temp/PanoBracket/
              >> >
              >> > I took a few measurements, played with a piece of cardboard for a few
              >> > minutes and, had a local steel place fabricate this for me. Then, I
              >> > covered it with a clear protective coat, glued on some cork, and
              >> > installed a threaded bolt. It took a few whacks with a hammer to get it
              >> > spot-on but, it works fantastic. Of course, it is specific to a
              >> > particular body and lens combination (Canon Rebel and Nikon 10.5mm
              >>fisheye).
              >> >
              >> > Andrew Crawford

            • Bill Bailey
              Message 6 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                Forum decorum concerns have been brought to our attention by the moderators
                of PanoToolsNG.
                We are very embarrassed that this announcement has taken an unprofessional
                tone and sincerely apologize for this.
                I believe it best we simply step aside and we'll refrain from using this
                platform to announce future product release.
                We would kindly ask folks to stop by our website or visit our new NN forum
                from time to time as we have many new products on the horizon.

                All the best.

                Bill Bailey
                Director Global Sales and Marketing
                www.NodalNinja.com
                Message 7 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                  It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
                  this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.

                  AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
                  announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
                  manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.

                  Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
                  IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
                  attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
                  NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
                  would have been enough.

                  Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
                  that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
                  barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.

                  Please stay.
                  Yuv

                  Bill Bailey wrote:
                  > Forum decorum concerns have been brought to our attention by the moderators
                  > of PanoToolsNG.
                  > We are very embarrassed that this announcement has taken an unprofessional
                  > tone and sincerely apologize for this.
                  > I believe it best we simply step aside and we'll refrain from using this
                  > platform to announce future product release.
                  > We would kindly ask folks to stop by our website or visit our new NN forum
                  > from time to time as we have many new products on the horizon.
                  >
                  > All the best.
                  >
                  > Bill Bailey
                  > Director Global Sales and Marketing
                  > www.NodalNinja.com
                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                    I concur 100% with Yuval's words, from the request that you and other
                    hardware manufacturers keep posting info about new developments here,
                    through to the personal reluctance to use web-based forums. :-)

                    Sometime around 3/5/08 (at 14:13 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

                    >It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
                    >this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.
                    >
                    >AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
                    >announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
                    >manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.
                    >
                    >Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
                    >IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
                    >attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
                    >NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
                    >would have been enough.
                    >
                    >Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
                    >that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
                    >barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.
                    >
                    >Please stay.
                    >Yuv
                  • Milko K. Amorth
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                      Ditto on all points.
                      Well put, Yuv.
                      Nothing wrong with mods showing the flag publicly. Sometimes people do
                      not realize the 'tone' in their writing. Its an international list after
                      all.

                      Cheers, Milko

                      --
                      Milko K.Amorth
                      ph:604.561.5101

                      www.VRCanada.ca
                      360° Immersive Imaging
                      Skype: VRdundee

                      Check out the new release of Lucid Flash Viewer in HD!
                    • AYRTON
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 3, 2008
                        On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:

                        > I concur 100% with Yuval's words, from the request that you and other
                        > hardware manufacturers keep posting info about new developments here,
                        > through to the personal reluctance to use web-based forums. :-)

                        idem
                        it's the same with me
                        both subjects
                        I hate forums :-(
                        I like to receive new peoducts infos :-)

                        Abcs
                        AYRTON

                        > Sometime around 3/5/08 (at 14:13 -0400) Yuval Levy said:
                        >
                        > >It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
                        > >this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.
                        > >
                        > >AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
                        > >announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
                        > >manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.
                        > >
                        > >Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
                        > >IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
                        > >attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
                        > >NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
                        > >would have been enough.
                        > >
                        > >Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
                        > >that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
                        > >barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.
                        > >
                        > >Please stay.
                        > >Yuv

                        ------------
                        | A Y R |
                        | T O N |
                        ------------

                        + 55 21 9982 6313

                        http://ayrton360.com
                        http://rio.360cities.net
                        http://vrfolio.com
                        http://ayrton.com

                      • Andrew Crawford
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 4, 2008
                          Ken Warner wrote:
                          > I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
                          > Living on a budget and without tools sucks...

                          I do understand.

                          FWIW, the local steel place charged me about $30 USD for half an hour of
                          their time and a little piece of steel. I probably spent another couple
                          hours adding 50 cents worth of cork, a fraction of a $4 can of clear
                          coat, and 25 cents worth of screws.

                          Andrew Crawford