AW: [PanoToolsNG] Re: ANN: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

  • ptgroup
    Message 1 of 27 , May 2 3:27 PM
      dalileis:
      of course I am !!!!!!
      What did you expect after the all in this thread ????

      And "IF" - I would try to trad my stuff in at Bills NN store.
      ciao
      mike
      www.360de.de

      Message 2 of 27 , May 2 3:48 PM
        Dalileis,

        >"Only amateurs use Nodal Ninja".
        Your words. Not mine, nor Matthew's. I do not attempt to put words into your mouth, please extend me the same courtesy.

        >Who would you rather entrust your money to via Paypal? Bill or Matthew?
        An Inference of 360P perpetrated theft? Wonderful.*

        >Testimonials can be altered, remember the method being used here and elsewhere.
        Liars as well? If you wish contact me offlist with any particular concerns over our bona-fide testimonials.

        A public apology would be appreciated, although judging by your demeanor to date, I shan't expect it to be forthcoming.

        Also, whilst I would have preferred Bill to have contacted me privately with any potential concerns he had over our design, what is done is done. I think Bill knows I'm a fan of his, he is a standup no-nonsense guy with a passion for panos. We can all do with more like him. My background is in Engineering, and I am 100% confident in my design. Ultimately from a torque&loading perspective on the lens mount it is identical to a telephoto lens mount system, which nikon sell and recommend in their lens instruction manuals.

        To be honest, I had hoped to just let this lie as I've been drawn into spats on this list in the past and quite frankly I'm tired of them. Ultimately it just makes everyone look silly and there are no winners. Let's let the products and outputs speak for themselves.

        Kindest,

        Stu@360P

        *If I misunderstand your comment, and you meant to say that you believe that Bill would use the money more effectively than 360P, then that may well be. 1/2 our profits we spend on beer, go-karting, and games consoles. The other 1/2 we just waste!

      • Bill Bailey
        Message 3 of 27 , May 2 3:51 PM
          Hey guys,
          We really appreciate your support and it's humbling. I do not mean to create
          any waves between vendors and we do respect our competition regardless. But
          more importantly we are customer driven.
          We are a small company and strive to build lasting relationships with our
          customers with hopes they might one day return to buy again. You spend $200
          on an item it's reassuring to know you have people behind you ready to
          assist should a problem arise. Our testimonials and NN forum posts will back
          us and you can simply ask around.
          Anyone can build a better widget (hey - NN widget? hmm ;-) - but it took 4
          years to build a company that humbly prides itself on a foundation of hard
          earned, old school, customer trust.
          Many thanks
          Bill

          dalileis-3 wrote:

          > Hi Mike
          >
          > I guess you´re kidding in which case :o)
          >
          > However, I would never ever recommend anyone to buy into this kind of
          > marketing and trade in their Nodal Ninjas for that way over priced
          > other product.
          >
          > What I´m sayin: Nodal Ninja is a professional panohead, used by
          > professionals all over the world, which are praising it for its value
          > AND quality AND the great support.
          >
          > 360precision is also a professional panohead, but the person marketing
          > it is using such low blows that it´s starting to annoy the hell out of
          > me, and I know I am not the only one.
          >
          > In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "ptgroup" <ptgroup@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> dalileis:
          >> at least you can trade it in : Matt wil pay 95 GBP !
          >> http://www.panoguide.com/forums/commercial/4800/
          >>
          >> At least I am a very satisfied NN user and Bill responses to his
          > customer.
          >>
          >> Looks like 360P doesn´t need customers:
          >>
          > http://www.panorama-forum.net/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=17015#post170
          >> 15
          >>
          >> I am in contact with Thorsten Ohme from PanoMaxx - they developed a nice
          >> head for a very reasonable price.
          >>

          >> ciao
          >> mike
          >> www.360de.de

        • dalileis
          Message 4 of 27 , May 2 4:49 PM
            "An Inference of 360P perpetrated theft? Wonderful."

            "Liars as well? If you wish contact me offlist with any particular
            concerns over our bona-fide testimonials."

            Stu, those are your words, not mine. I do not attempt to put words
            into your mouth, please extend me the same courtesy.

            Kindest,

            Semantic Ninja

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Stuart Milne" <stuart@...> wrote:

            > Dalileis,
            >
            > >"Only amateurs use Nodal Ninja".
            > Your words. Not mine, nor Matthew's. I do not attempt to put words
            into your mouth, please extend me the same courtesy.

            > >Who would you rather entrust your money to via Paypal? Bill or
            Matthew?
            > An Inference of 360P perpetrated theft? Wonderful.*
            >
            > >Testimonials can be altered, remember the method being used here
            and elsewhere.
            > Liars as well? If you wish contact me offlist with any particular
            concerns over our bona-fide testimonials.

            > A public apology would be appreciated, although judging by your
            demeanor to date, I shan't expect it to be forthcoming.

            > Also, whilst I would have preferred Bill to have contacted me
            privately with any potential concerns he had over our design, what is
            done is done. I think Bill knows I'm a fan of his, he is a standup
            no-nonsense guy with a passion for panos. We can all do with more like
            him. My background is in Engineering, and I am 100% confident in my
            design. Ultimately from a torque&loading perspective on the lens mount
            it is identical to a telephoto lens mount system, which nikon sell and
            recommend in their lens instruction manuals.

            > To be honest, I had hoped to just let this lie as I've been drawn
            into spats on this list in the past and quite frankly I'm tired of
            them. Ultimately it just makes everyone look silly and there are no
            winners. Let's let the products and outputs speak for themselves.

            > Kindest,
            >
            > Stu@360P
            >
            > *If I misunderstand your comment, and you meant to say that you
            believe that Bill would use the money more effectively than 360P, then
            that may well be. 1/2 our profits we spend on beer, go-karting, and
            games consoles. The other 1/2 we just waste!

          • Andrew Crawford
            Message 5 of 27 , May 2 5:27 PM
              Ken Warner wrote:
              > While I am one to beat a dead horse frequently. All
              > I'm going to say is that my monopod doesn't need a
              > rotator -- but it needs a way to position the lens
              > over the axis of rotation and tilt the camera
              > around the nodal point easily.

              You mean something like this?

              http://www.evermore.com/temp/PanoBracket/

              I took a few measurements, played with a piece of cardboard for a few
              minutes and, had a local steel place fabricate this for me. Then, I
              covered it with a clear protective coat, glued on some cork, and
              installed a threaded bolt. It took a few whacks with a hammer to get it
              spot-on but, it works fantastic. Of course, it is specific to a
              particular body and lens combination (Canon Rebel and Nikon 10.5mm fisheye).

              Andrew Crawford
            • Matthew Rogers
              Message 6 of 27 , May 2 5:42 PM

                > I guess you´re kidding in which case :o)
                >
                > However, I would never ever recommend anyone to buy into this kind of
                > marketing and trade in their Nodal Ninjas for that way over priced
                > other product.

                What are you talking about, I get asked all the time if we take trade-
                ins and on the rare occasion we do. There's absolutely nothing wrong
                with offering a trade-in, Nodal Ninja buy back pano-heads. Lot's of
                industries offer trade-ins. Maybe you didn’t realise you can trade-in
                your old car and get money off a new one :) It's not as though we're
                poaching email addresses from email lists and forums and spamming
                people. We were 100% honest and upfront about the deal. And some
                people have already responded in excitement to the offer.

                What you also may not realise is that a large percentage of our
                customers upgrade from other panoheads. Quite often they just throw
                the old in the back of the cupboard or flog it on ebay. I know I still
                have three old Kaidan heads rumbling around somewhere.

                We're actually going to set-up a programme where-by students can apply
                for the panoheads free of charge on a case by case basis.

                We've now sold well over 1,000 panoheads and I've only ever had one
                customer tell me that they thought that the head was over-priced.
                Until you've actually seen one and used it day to day you have no
                right to comment. You can say what you want but the Absolute and
                Adjuste are the only panoheads available that are accurate enough to
                offer true batch stitching.

                If you run a business shooting panoramas and not just as a hobby then
                you might be able to actually see the benefit. We get emails from
                customers all the time telling us that without the 360Precision
                Absolute there's no way they could shoot and produce the amount of
                content they can in such short timeframes. And in some cases, without
                our products their projects would never be viable.

                > What I´m sayin: Nodal Ninja is a professional panohead, used by
                > professionals all over the world, which are praising it for its value
                > AND quality AND the great support.

                It was tongue in cheek, you need to chill out and not take everything
                so seriously. But can you use an Hasselblad H3D with a 150mm lens or a
                1DsMK3 with a 500mm lens on a Nodal Ninja, probably not and it's not
                designed to handle it. Again, unless you've actually seen or used our
                products you don't know what you're talking about.
                > 360precision is also a professional panohead, but the person marketing
                > it is using such low blows that it´s starting to annoy the hell out of
                > me, and I know I am not the only one.

                How is offering a trade-in any different than offering to buy back a
                product ? It's actually more fair to the buyer because we're not
                restricting the offer to just trade-ins on old 360Precision heads.

                > In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "ptgroup" <ptgroup@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > dalileis:
                > > at least you can trade it in : Matt wil pay 95 GBP !
                > > http://www.panoguide.com/forums/commercial/4800/
                > >
                > > At least I am a very satisfied NN user and Bill responses to his
                > customer.
                > >
                > > Looks like 360P doesn´t need customers:
                > >
                > http://www.panorama-forum.net/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=17015#post170
                > > 15
                > >
                > > I am in contact with Thorsten Ohme from PanoMaxx - they developed
                > a nice
                > > head for a very reasonable price.
                > >

                > > ciao
                > > mike
                > > www.360de.de

              • Ken Warner
                Message 7 of 27 , May 2 5:53 PM
                  Yes, something like that. I really don't want to carry more
                  weight around than necessary. Any of the commercial
                  pano heads would do but in most cases they are over kill
                  because they have to work for a whole bunch of different
                  cameras. So far, the NN series is closest to what I want.

                  I keep waiting for the right auction on eBay.

                  I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
                  Living on a budget and without tools sucks...

                  Andrew Crawford wrote:
                  > Ken Warner wrote:
                  >
                  >>While I am one to beat a dead horse frequently. All
                  >>I'm going to say is that my monopod doesn't need a
                  >>rotator -- but it needs a way to position the lens
                  >>over the axis of rotation and tilt the camera
                  >>around the nodal point easily.
                  >

                  > You mean something like this?
                  >
                  > http://www.evermore.com/temp/PanoBracket/
                  >
                  > I took a few measurements, played with a piece of cardboard for a few
                  > minutes and, had a local steel place fabricate this for me. Then, I
                  > covered it with a clear protective coat, glued on some cork, and
                  > installed a threaded bolt. It took a few whacks with a hammer to get it
                  > spot-on but, it works fantastic. Of course, it is specific to a
                  > particular body and lens combination (Canon Rebel and Nikon 10.5mm fisheye).
                  >
                  > Andrew Crawford

                • Daniel Reetz
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 2 11:41 PM
                    > I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
                    > Living on a budget and without tools sucks...

                    I know how you feel. I spent a year in Russia without any tools-- it
                    was really hard. It was there that I bought a Nodal Ninja; I bought it
                    after I saw Nick Fan gracefully responding to criticism in the Realviz
                    Stitcher forums. I was impressed with his response and his willingness
                    to help with my problems with the Russian postal system.

                    When I returned to the US and had the opportunity to spend $$$ on a
                    new system, I ended up making my own. I bought a mill, mini-lathe and
                    rotary table and machined a very precise rotator to my own
                    specifications. Here's a development shot of it:

                    http://danreetz.com/ongoing/2008_daniel_reetz__0023_camera_rotator.jpg

                    To each their own. Looking forward to the 180.
                    DR

                    > Andrew Crawford wrote:
                    > > Ken Warner wrote:
                    > >
                    > >>While I am one to beat a dead horse frequently. All
                    > >>I'm going to say is that my monopod doesn't need a
                    > >>rotator -- but it needs a way to position the lens
                    > >>over the axis of rotation and tilt the camera
                    > >>around the nodal point easily.
                    > >

                    > > You mean something like this?
                    > >
                    > > http://www.evermore.com/temp/PanoBracket/
                    > >
                    > > I took a few measurements, played with a piece of cardboard for a few
                    > > minutes and, had a local steel place fabricate this for me. Then, I
                    > > covered it with a clear protective coat, glued on some cork, and
                    > > installed a threaded bolt. It took a few whacks with a hammer to get it
                    > > spot-on but, it works fantastic. Of course, it is specific to a
                    > > particular body and lens combination (Canon Rebel and Nikon 10.5mm
                    > fisheye).
                    > >
                    > > Andrew Crawford

                  • Ken Warner
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 3 2:39 AM
                      Beautiful work! What great fun it would be to build
                      my own pano head.

                      From what I've seen on the net, I agree with your
                      views on NN and the positive attitudes of the
                      guys there.

                      I'm just trying to make the right choices for myself.

                      Daniel Reetz wrote:
                      >> I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
                      >> Living on a budget and without tools sucks...
                      >

                      > I know how you feel. I spent a year in Russia without any tools-- it
                      > was really hard. It was there that I bought a Nodal Ninja; I bought it
                      > after I saw Nick Fan gracefully responding to criticism in the Realviz
                      > Stitcher forums. I was impressed with his response and his willingness
                      > to help with my problems with the Russian postal system.
                      >
                      > When I returned to the US and had the opportunity to spend $$$ on a
                      > new system, I ended up making my own. I bought a mill, mini-lathe and
                      > rotary table and machined a very precise rotator to my own
                      > specifications. Here's a development shot of it:
                      >
                      > http://danreetz.com/ongoing/2008_daniel_reetz__0023_camera_rotator.jpg
                      >
                      > To each their own. Looking forward to the 180.
                      > DR
                      >

                      >> Andrew Crawford wrote:

                      >> > You mean something like this?
                      >> >
                      >> > http://www.evermore.com/temp/PanoBracket/
                      >> >
                      >> > I took a few measurements, played with a piece of cardboard for a few
                      >> > minutes and, had a local steel place fabricate this for me. Then, I
                      >> > covered it with a clear protective coat, glued on some cork, and
                      >> > installed a threaded bolt. It took a few whacks with a hammer to get it
                      >> > spot-on but, it works fantastic. Of course, it is specific to a
                      >> > particular body and lens combination (Canon Rebel and Nikon 10.5mm
                      >>fisheye).
                      >> >
                      >> > Andrew Crawford

                    • Bill Bailey
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 3 7:28 AM
                        Forum decorum concerns have been brought to our attention by the moderators
                        of PanoToolsNG.
                        We are very embarrassed that this announcement has taken an unprofessional
                        tone and sincerely apologize for this.
                        I believe it best we simply step aside and we'll refrain from using this
                        platform to announce future product release.
                        We would kindly ask folks to stop by our website or visit our new NN forum
                        from time to time as we have many new products on the horizon.

                        All the best.

                        Bill Bailey
                        Director Global Sales and Marketing
                        www.NodalNinja.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 3 11:13 AM
                          It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
                          this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.

                          AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
                          announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
                          manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.

                          Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
                          IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
                          attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
                          NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
                          would have been enough.

                          Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
                          that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
                          barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.

                          Please stay.
                          Yuv

                          Bill Bailey wrote:
                          > Forum decorum concerns have been brought to our attention by the moderators
                          > of PanoToolsNG.
                          > We are very embarrassed that this announcement has taken an unprofessional
                          > tone and sincerely apologize for this.
                          > I believe it best we simply step aside and we'll refrain from using this
                          > platform to announce future product release.
                          > We would kindly ask folks to stop by our website or visit our new NN forum
                          > from time to time as we have many new products on the horizon.
                          >
                          > All the best.
                          >
                          > Bill Bailey
                          > Director Global Sales and Marketing
                          > www.NodalNinja.com
                        • Keith Martin
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 3 11:25 AM
                            I concur 100% with Yuval's words, from the request that you and other
                            hardware manufacturers keep posting info about new developments here,
                            through to the personal reluctance to use web-based forums. :-)

                            Sometime around 3/5/08 (at 14:13 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

                            >It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
                            >this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.
                            >
                            >AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
                            >announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
                            >manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.
                            >
                            >Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
                            >IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
                            >attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
                            >NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
                            >would have been enough.
                            >
                            >Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
                            >that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
                            >barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.
                            >
                            >Please stay.
                            >Yuv
                          • Milko K. Amorth
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 3 12:31 PM
                              Ditto on all points.
                              Well put, Yuv.
                              Nothing wrong with mods showing the flag publicly. Sometimes people do
                              not realize the 'tone' in their writing. Its an international list after
                              all.

                              Cheers, Milko

                              --
                              Milko K.Amorth
                              ph:604.561.5101

                              www.VRCanada.ca
                              360° Immersive Imaging
                              Skype: VRdundee

                              Check out the new release of Lucid Flash Viewer in HD!
                            • AYRTON
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 3 3:10 PM
                                On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:

                                > I concur 100% with Yuval's words, from the request that you and other
                                > hardware manufacturers keep posting info about new developments here,
                                > through to the personal reluctance to use web-based forums. :-)

                                idem
                                it's the same with me
                                both subjects
                                I hate forums :-(
                                I like to receive new peoducts infos :-)

                                Abcs
                                AYRTON

                                > Sometime around 3/5/08 (at 14:13 -0400) Yuval Levy said:
                                >
                                > >It would be a sad loss to most of us if you had to refrain from using
                                > >this mailing list to announce future product release. Please reconsider.
                                > >
                                > >AFAIK nothing has changed to the list policy. Factual commercial
                                > >announcements, open and honest, like those seen from you and other
                                > >manufacturers in the past, are and should be welcome.
                                > >
                                > >Instead of preventing commercial announcements, the moderators should
                                > >IMO intervene *publicly* and isolate offensive statements before they
                                > >attract further reactions from the *general public*. A simple "MOD
                                > >NOTICE" to defuse the tension before an all out flame war breaks out
                                > >would have been enough.
                                > >
                                > >Thanks for the invite to join your forum. I'll politely decline, but
                                > >that's me. I find that web based forums do not work well for me. High
                                > >barrier to participation; noisy user interface; high noise/signal ratio.
                                > >
                                > >Please stay.
                                > >Yuv

                                ------------
                                | A Y R |
                                | T O N |
                                ------------

                                + 55 21 9982 6313

                                http://ayrton360.com
                                http://rio.360cities.net
                                http://vrfolio.com
                                http://ayrton.com

                              • Andrew Crawford
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 4 2:45 PM
                                  Ken Warner wrote:
                                  > I could build something myself if I had access to a machine shop.
                                  > Living on a budget and without tools sucks...

                                  I do understand.

                                  FWIW, the local steel place charged me about $30 USD for half an hour of
                                  their time and a little piece of steel. I probably spent another couple
                                  hours adding 50 cents worth of cork, a fraction of a $4 can of clear
                                  coat, and 25 cents worth of screws.

                                  Andrew Crawford