Re: [PanoToolsNG] best method to stitch 2 circular FC-E8 fisheye with ptgui ?

  • panokaemena@mac.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2008
      I dont think that Ptgui can stitch 2 FE . Make 3 or 4 shots. You will
      get a better quality and no seams.

      Willy

      On May 2, 2008, at 14:38, Benjamin Bouville wrote:

      > hello :)
      >
      > I'm using a p5100 camera with a FC-E8 circular fisheye (183°). I
      > stitch
      > with Realviz up till now but I want to try with ptgui. Is it possible
      > to stitch two shots of 183° with this very great software and what
      > could be the best method ?
      >
      > Thanks a lot :)
      >
      > Regards

      Willy Kaemena

      http://bremen.360cities.net/
      http://syria.360cities.net/
      http://lisbon.360cities.net/

      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2008
        On Friday, May 02, 2008 at 15:04, panokaemena@... wrote:

        > I dont think that Ptgui can stitch 2 FE.

        It can stitch, but only with manual alignment. It most probably won't
        find control points automatically. But there is a chance that one can
        find some manually. There might be a problem blending with such small
        overlap with enblend, smartblend or PTGui, but there still is the
        feathering algorithm of PTStitcher and the possibility to output
        layered PSD and blend manually in photoshop.

        > Make 3 or 4 shots. You will get a better quality and no seams.

        Doubtlessly true...

        best regards
      • michel thoby
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2008
          Benjamin,

          You have been wisely advised by Erik and Willy. Making three or four
          shots gives a better quality... but the 2-shots solution has some
          unique advantages!

          Take four images at 90 degrees one from each other (but with the NPP
          set as it would be set for 180 degrees spacing i.e. beta= 90 deg. See
          http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Laseresult.html) and optimize by using
          control points only for subjects that are sufficiently far (>2 m)
          from the camera. Make sure that CP are also requested for at least
          one of the opposite pairs of hemispherical images. After this
          optimization, remove the other two opposite images from the PTGui
          project and keep only the remaining pair. Save the script as a
          template for further use.
          Use the most precise rotator for the two-shots and a mounting
          interface for the camera that is accurately repeatable.

          You may know that this 2-shots technique with a fisheye is under
          these conditions, the only way to guarantee absolute absence of
          parallax errors along the (sole) seam whatever is the distance of the
          subject! And this is why you may use a template with confidence :
          http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Sunex_SuperFisheye/Plea_for_two-shots.html
          Trying to make a template with a single pair of image only would be
          vain: you need to have control points all over the images to get
          valid correction correction coefficients (a, b, c) and offset
          parameters (d and e).
          Note: I have not yet found why PTGui sometimes randomly finds
          successfully some control points on the overlapping ring on a single
          pair of images. But this is very rare indeed;-)

          Important:
          My recent experiment have shown that the real useful angle of view of
          the FC-E8 fisheye converter is about 190 degrees and not 183 degrees
          (as it was initially specified for the old CoolPix series) when
          mounted on the recent CP P5100 that has a larger sensor and most
          probably a revised lens design.
          The adapter from Agnos that fits the FC-E8 is too long to yield the
          largest angle of view: the rear of the fisheye converter should
          ideally be much closer to the front of the zoom lens when the latter
          is in "Wide" and "Converter" mode settings.
          I have therefore devised a way to benefit from this untold feature
          and wrote an article where the mechanical data are given for the
          shaving operation of the adapter: http://michel.thoby.free.fr/DuoPix/
          DuoPix_solution.html
          The image is largest in diameter and is also then sharper near the
          bluish blurry ring and the latter is thinner as the vignetting is
          reduced. The TCA is very slightly increased but it still can be well
          and simply corrected.

          I presume that the Nikon UR-E20 adapter is also not adapted (!)
          because being also too long but I am still waiting for delivery from
          Nikon France to make sure;-(

          Best regards,

          Michel Thoby