best method to stitch 2 circular FC-E8 fisheye with ptgui ?

  • Benjamin Bouville
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2 5:38 AM
      hello :)

      I'm using a p5100 camera with a FC-E8 circular fisheye (183°). I stitch
      with Realviz up till now but I want to try with ptgui. Is it possible
      to stitch two shots of 183° with this very great software and what
      could be the best method ?

      Thanks a lot :)

      Regards
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2 6:03 AM
        On Friday, May 02, 2008 at 12:38, Benjamin Bouville wrote:

        > I'm using a p5100 camera with a FC-E8 circular fisheye (183°). I stitch
        > with Realviz up till now but I want to try with ptgui. Is it possible
        > to stitch two shots of 183° with this very great software and what
        > could be the best method ?

        Load the images, eventually correct Field of View, On Image paramters
        tab (eventually choose "Advanced" interface) in the Yaw column
        manually set second image to 180°, spot preview in pano editor
        (Ctrl+E). If necessary you can try to find some control points in the
        overlap and get an even better alignment. Save the project for later
        use as a template.

        For better results you might want to calibrate your lens. This is
        best done with a 3 shot or 4 shot panorama where you can use the
        control point generator, generate lots of control points and optimize
        for FoV, a, b and c and eventually lens shift (in case of a slightly
        decentered FC adaptor).

        best regards
      • panokaemena@mac.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2 6:04 AM
          I dont think that Ptgui can stitch 2 FE . Make 3 or 4 shots. You will
          get a better quality and no seams.

          Willy

          On May 2, 2008, at 14:38, Benjamin Bouville wrote:

          > hello :)
          >
          > I'm using a p5100 camera with a FC-E8 circular fisheye (183°). I
          > stitch
          > with Realviz up till now but I want to try with ptgui. Is it possible
          > to stitch two shots of 183° with this very great software and what
          > could be the best method ?
          >
          > Thanks a lot :)
          >
          > Regards

          Willy Kaemena

          http://bremen.360cities.net/
          http://syria.360cities.net/
          http://lisbon.360cities.net/

          Message 4 of 5 , May 2 6:12 AM
            On Friday, May 02, 2008 at 15:04, panokaemena@... wrote:

            > I dont think that Ptgui can stitch 2 FE.

            It can stitch, but only with manual alignment. It most probably won't
            find control points automatically. But there is a chance that one can
            find some manually. There might be a problem blending with such small
            overlap with enblend, smartblend or PTGui, but there still is the
            feathering algorithm of PTStitcher and the possibility to output
            layered PSD and blend manually in photoshop.

            > Make 3 or 4 shots. You will get a better quality and no seams.

            Doubtlessly true...

            best regards
          • michel thoby
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2 10:41 AM
              Benjamin,

              You have been wisely advised by Erik and Willy. Making three or four
              shots gives a better quality... but the 2-shots solution has some
              unique advantages!

              Take four images at 90 degrees one from each other (but with the NPP
              set as it would be set for 180 degrees spacing i.e. beta= 90 deg. See
              http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Laseresult.html) and optimize by using
              control points only for subjects that are sufficiently far (>2 m)
              from the camera. Make sure that CP are also requested for at least
              one of the opposite pairs of hemispherical images. After this
              optimization, remove the other two opposite images from the PTGui
              project and keep only the remaining pair. Save the script as a
              template for further use.
              Use the most precise rotator for the two-shots and a mounting
              interface for the camera that is accurately repeatable.

              You may know that this 2-shots technique with a fisheye is under
              these conditions, the only way to guarantee absolute absence of
              parallax errors along the (sole) seam whatever is the distance of the
              subject! And this is why you may use a template with confidence :
              http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Sunex_SuperFisheye/Plea_for_two-shots.html
              Trying to make a template with a single pair of image only would be
              vain: you need to have control points all over the images to get
              valid correction correction coefficients (a, b, c) and offset
              parameters (d and e).
              Note: I have not yet found why PTGui sometimes randomly finds
              successfully some control points on the overlapping ring on a single
              pair of images. But this is very rare indeed;-)

              Important:
              My recent experiment have shown that the real useful angle of view of
              the FC-E8 fisheye converter is about 190 degrees and not 183 degrees
              (as it was initially specified for the old CoolPix series) when
              mounted on the recent CP P5100 that has a larger sensor and most
              probably a revised lens design.
              The adapter from Agnos that fits the FC-E8 is too long to yield the
              largest angle of view: the rear of the fisheye converter should
              ideally be much closer to the front of the zoom lens when the latter
              is in "Wide" and "Converter" mode settings.
              I have therefore devised a way to benefit from this untold feature
              and wrote an article where the mechanical data are given for the
              shaving operation of the adapter: http://michel.thoby.free.fr/DuoPix/
              DuoPix_solution.html
              The image is largest in diameter and is also then sharper near the
              bluish blurry ring and the latter is thinner as the vignetting is
              reduced. The TCA is very slightly increased but it still can be well
              and simply corrected.

              I presume that the Nikon UR-E20 adapter is also not adapted (!)
              because being also too long but I am still waiting for delivery from
              Nikon France to make sure;-(

              Best regards,

              Michel Thoby