Re: [PanoToolsNG] Space Navigator and recent panoramic viewers - ?

  • Philipp B. Koch
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 29, 2008
      Milko K. Amorth schrieb:
      > Hi Philip,
      >
      >> Do I miss something here?
      >>

      > Not really, if you dont know. But if you do, you just might. What ever
      > works for you is fine. It takes some time to get used to it, too
      >
      > Check this out:
      > http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/dcc/photoshop.php
      Thanks, Milko! OK, besides the fact that this presentation guy obviously
      has a soft spot for dragons and especially fpr drastically dragging
      3D-dragons in Photoshop (<-- sorry for this, I just couldn't resist),
      this looks indeed tempting; if it really works this nice, it seems to
      make working with big images (e.g. panoramas) a lot easier, where
      panning and zooming is necessary very often. Maybe I should consider to
      buy one. (Oh, if I only was less a techie :-)

      Cheers, Philipp
    • Fung Yu
      Message 2 of 16 , May 29, 2008
        Hi Friends,

        Sometime ago, the above subject topic came up. I got very interested
        in the SN (space navigator), especially for kiosk-type LCD screen
        interactivity.

        Well, today I unwrapped my SN personal edition at last, courtesy of
        a friend who just arrived from US.

        The device is quite sleek and a great sight to behold vis-a-vis with the
        standard mouse.

        And as expected, the software(drivers) that comes with it is just for
        some specific applications and not really for VR interactivity. It does
        have rudimentary QTVR support on IE, but that was it.

        Not giving up, I was able to find a home-made driver that make the SN
        act like a mouse. After half a day tinkering with the software, finally
        able to get it working.

        So been playing with it on DevalVR, FPP, QTVR, both in browser mode
        and in stand-alone mode. It basically behave like a joy-stick, need some
        getting use to...but works! Certainly adds to the "wow" factor with the
        luminous blue glow.

        Regards,
      • Carel
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
          1drey wrote:

          > Did anybody use http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacenavigator.php with
          > DevalVR and Flash-based panoramic viewers?
          >
          > Think about getting one for a small stand on the upcoming exibition.

          For the museum show last year I used stainless steel trackballs. There were
          two buttons for in and out zooming and a third for switching to a pano of
          the same location with different lighting conditions. These things were
          built into a little pillar and practically indestructible:
          http://www.b3-industrie.com/trackingballs/index.html
          They behaved flawlessly with tens of thousands of visitors, including school
          children.

          Carel

        • fierodeval
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
            Hi Andrey,

            Space Navigator can be used with latest version of DevalVR (7,0,0,17),
            player and plugins.
            In the 3Dconnexion Control Panel you must set "Zoom direction" to
            "Up/Down", all the other settings by default.

            This is the first version with Space Navigator support, maybe this
            needs some improvements yet. It requires the file TDxInput.dll, that
            is automatically installed in latest versions of 3Dconnexion drivers.

            Anybody with SpaceNavigator to test?

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, 1drey <ilyin1drey@...> wrote:

            > Did anybody use
            http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacenavigator.php with
            > DevalVR and Flash-based panoramic viewers?
            >
            > Think about getting one for a small stand on the upcoming exibition.

          • Milko K. Amorth
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
              Hi Fiero,

              Excellent support. Bravo. I love it. Thank you.

              > Anybody with SpaceNavigator to test?

              Individual profile....works very well and smooth in all directions
              IExplorer 7.0.5730.13
              Opera 9.50beta
              Firefox 3.0

              IExplorer in Explorer profile is more sensitive in its settings and the
              'zoom direction' is reversed!
              (push/pull up and down is forward /backward in its settings and vice versa)
              Not such a big deal...one can set it and forget it, once figured out.

              Now, that's a way to navigate a panorama! The smoothness is still
              unsurpassed, in my book.

              How is the Mac version coming along?

              Saludos, Milko
            • Sam Cuttriss
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                sorry just got on the list.
                so i missed the start of this thread,
                i have a space pilot i can test with on mac/ vista 64 / xp64 and xp 32....
                if that helps.

                _sam

                Milko K. Amorth wrote:

                > Hi Fiero,
                >
                > Excellent support. Bravo. I love it. Thank you.
                >
                > > Anybody with SpaceNavigator to test?
                > >

                > Individual profile....works very well and smooth in all directions
                > IExplorer 7.0.5730.13
                > Opera 9.50beta
                > Firefox 3.0
                >
                > IExplorer in Explorer profile is more sensitive in its settings and the
                > 'zoom direction' is reversed!
                > (push/pull up and down is forward /backward in its settings and vice
                > versa)
                > Not such a big deal...one can set it and forget it, once figured out.
                >
                > Now, that's a way to navigate a panorama! The smoothness is still
                > unsurpassed, in my book.
                >
                > How is the Mac version coming along?
                >
                > Saludos, Milko

              • fierodeval
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                  Hi Sam,

                  You can browse all messages through Yahoo groups page, see this
                  http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/19786

                  I only have a SpaceNavigator, so it would be very nice if you test
                  your SpacePilot in any Windows system with any DevalVR page, you can
                  see some examples in www.devalvr.com. I don't know if SpacePilot uses
                  the same interface than SpaceNavigator.

                  Milko, about profiles, maybe when you open IExplorer is selected a
                  different profile in 3Dconnexion Control Panel than when you open
                  Firefox. Try to open this control panel when you are in the panorama
                  to verify it. This is the only feature that I don't understand
                  completely yet, I must do more test with profiles.

                  Thanks!
                  fiero

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Sam Cuttriss <cuttriss@...> wrote:

                  > sorry just got on the list.
                  > so i missed the start of this thread,
                  > i have a space pilot i can test with on mac/ vista 64 / xp64 and xp
                  32....
                  > if that helps.
                  >
                  > _sam
                  >

                  > Milko K. Amorth wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Fiero,
                  > >
                  > > Excellent support. Bravo. I love it. Thank you.
                  > >
                  > > > Anybody with SpaceNavigator to test?
                  > > >

                  > > Individual profile....works very well and smooth in all directions
                  > > IExplorer 7.0.5730.13
                  > > Opera 9.50beta
                  > > Firefox 3.0
                  > >
                  > > IExplorer in Explorer profile is more sensitive in its settings
                  and the
                  > > 'zoom direction' is reversed!
                  > > (push/pull up and down is forward /backward in its settings and vice
                  > > versa)
                  > > Not such a big deal...one can set it and forget it, once figured out.
                  > >
                  > > Now, that's a way to navigate a panorama! The smoothness is still
                  > > unsurpassed, in my book.
                  > >
                  > > How is the Mac version coming along?
                  > >
                  > > Saludos, Milko

                • Milko K. Amorth
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                    Hi Fiero,
                    > maybe when you open IExplorer is selected a
                    > different profile in 3Dconnexion Control Panel than when you open
                    > Firefox.
                    In IE it initially it opend in IE profile. As it would initially open in
                    QuicktimeVR profile when a QTVR in Quicktime was loaded. Once set up it
                    would auto save it as IE - "user' profile and and the second boot of Ie
                    it would load that IE -User profile again. It works fine from there on.
                    Its just that the zoom direction is reversed....but that can be set once
                    and is kept that way by the IE-user profile.
                    > Try to open this control panel when you are in the panorama
                    > to verify
                    IE and the other browsers all recognized the last used user profile when
                    the browser is started up and it works fine.
                    > This is the only feature that I don't understand
                    > completely yet, I must do more test with profiles.

                    The panel has an auto save configuration setting, which can be chosen.
                    One can set up as many configs as one would like and use 'save as' a
                    panorama instance. I do, as I use slightly different speeds in Google
                    Earth and Photoshop, therefore I got 3 custom profiles besides the
                    generic ones to choose from, now.

                    Works like a charm.

                    Cheers, Milko
                  • Fung Yu
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                      Hi Fiero,

                      I just tested my SN with the new version of Deval. It works
                      wonderfully. I however leave the zoom settings as is. Now
                      if we can only figure out a way for selecting other VRs in
                      a menu function... ;-)

                      Many thanks again on your work.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 9, 2008
                        Hi Fung Yu,

                        > Now if we can only figure out a way for selecting other VRs in
                        > a menu function...

                        :) I was thinking about this too. It could be good to have a way to
                        navigate only with the SpaceNavigator. This could be very nice to use
                        it in exhibitions, because it's a VERY robust gadget for public use.

                        About the implementation. I changed some small things in the behavior,
                        because 3Dconnexion staff adviced me about a consistent response with
                        how people will expect the behavior should be. Not all works correctly
                        with all default settings in the control panel and with the default
                        "Overall Speed" (this is the 3rd tick from the left). They certified
                        the plugin and will add DevalVR to its supported applications list
                        these days.

                        regards!
                        fiero

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 1, 2008