Re: [PanoToolsNG] Space Navigator and recent panoramic viewers - ?

  • Milko K. Amorth
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 29, 2008
      Hi Philip,
      > Do I miss something here?

      Not really, if you dont know. But if you do, you just might. What ever
      works for you is fine. It takes some time to get used to it, too

      Check this out:
      http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/dcc/photoshop.php

      Cheers, Milko

      --
      Milko K.Amorth
      ph:604.561.5101

      www.VRCanada.ca
      360° Immersive Imaging
      Skype: VRdundee

      Check out the new release of Lucid Flash Viewer in HD!
    • Philipp B. Koch
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 29, 2008
        Milko K. Amorth schrieb:
        > Hi Philip,
        >
        >> Do I miss something here?
        >>

        > Not really, if you dont know. But if you do, you just might. What ever
        > works for you is fine. It takes some time to get used to it, too
        >
        > Check this out:
        > http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/dcc/photoshop.php
        Thanks, Milko! OK, besides the fact that this presentation guy obviously
        has a soft spot for dragons and especially fpr drastically dragging
        3D-dragons in Photoshop (<-- sorry for this, I just couldn't resist),
        this looks indeed tempting; if it really works this nice, it seems to
        make working with big images (e.g. panoramas) a lot easier, where
        panning and zooming is necessary very often. Maybe I should consider to
        buy one. (Oh, if I only was less a techie :-)

        Cheers, Philipp
      • Fung Yu
        Message 3 of 16 , May 29 1:22 AM
          Hi Friends,

          Sometime ago, the above subject topic came up. I got very interested
          in the SN (space navigator), especially for kiosk-type LCD screen
          interactivity.

          Well, today I unwrapped my SN personal edition at last, courtesy of
          a friend who just arrived from US.

          The device is quite sleek and a great sight to behold vis-a-vis with the
          standard mouse.

          And as expected, the software(drivers) that comes with it is just for
          some specific applications and not really for VR interactivity. It does
          have rudimentary QTVR support on IE, but that was it.

          Not giving up, I was able to find a home-made driver that make the SN
          act like a mouse. After half a day tinkering with the software, finally
          able to get it working.

          So been playing with it on DevalVR, FPP, QTVR, both in browser mode
          and in stand-alone mode. It basically behave like a joy-stick, need some
          getting use to...but works! Certainly adds to the "wow" factor with the
          luminous blue glow.

          Regards,
        • Carel
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
            1drey wrote:

            > Did anybody use http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacenavigator.php with
            > DevalVR and Flash-based panoramic viewers?
            >
            > Think about getting one for a small stand on the upcoming exibition.

            For the museum show last year I used stainless steel trackballs. There were
            two buttons for in and out zooming and a third for switching to a pano of
            the same location with different lighting conditions. These things were
            built into a little pillar and practically indestructible:
            http://www.b3-industrie.com/trackingballs/index.html
            They behaved flawlessly with tens of thousands of visitors, including school
            children.

            Carel

          • fierodeval
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
              Hi Andrey,

              Space Navigator can be used with latest version of DevalVR (7,0,0,17),
              player and plugins.
              In the 3Dconnexion Control Panel you must set "Zoom direction" to
              "Up/Down", all the other settings by default.

              This is the first version with Space Navigator support, maybe this
              needs some improvements yet. It requires the file TDxInput.dll, that
              is automatically installed in latest versions of 3Dconnexion drivers.

              Anybody with SpaceNavigator to test?

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                Hi Fiero,

                Excellent support. Bravo. I love it. Thank you.

                > Anybody with SpaceNavigator to test?

                Individual profile....works very well and smooth in all directions
                IExplorer 7.0.5730.13
                Opera 9.50beta
                Firefox 3.0

                IExplorer in Explorer profile is more sensitive in its settings and the
                'zoom direction' is reversed!
                (push/pull up and down is forward /backward in its settings and vice versa)
                Not such a big deal...one can set it and forget it, once figured out.

                Now, that's a way to navigate a panorama! The smoothness is still
                unsurpassed, in my book.

                How is the Mac version coming along?

                Saludos, Milko
              • Sam Cuttriss
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                  sorry just got on the list.
                  so i missed the start of this thread,
                  i have a space pilot i can test with on mac/ vista 64 / xp64 and xp 32....
                  if that helps.

                  _sam

                  Milko K. Amorth wrote:

                  > Hi Fiero,
                  >
                  > Excellent support. Bravo. I love it. Thank you.
                  >
                  > > Anybody with SpaceNavigator to test?
                  > >

                  > Individual profile....works very well and smooth in all directions
                  > IExplorer 7.0.5730.13
                  > Opera 9.50beta
                  > Firefox 3.0
                  >
                  > IExplorer in Explorer profile is more sensitive in its settings and the
                  > 'zoom direction' is reversed!
                  > (push/pull up and down is forward /backward in its settings and vice
                  > versa)
                  > Not such a big deal...one can set it and forget it, once figured out.
                  >
                  > Now, that's a way to navigate a panorama! The smoothness is still
                  > unsurpassed, in my book.
                  >
                  > How is the Mac version coming along?
                  >
                  > Saludos, Milko

                • fierodeval
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                    Hi Sam,

                    You can browse all messages through Yahoo groups page, see this
                    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/19786

                    I only have a SpaceNavigator, so it would be very nice if you test
                    your SpacePilot in any Windows system with any DevalVR page, you can
                    see some examples in www.devalvr.com. I don't know if SpacePilot uses
                    the same interface than SpaceNavigator.

                    Milko, about profiles, maybe when you open IExplorer is selected a
                    different profile in 3Dconnexion Control Panel than when you open
                    Firefox. Try to open this control panel when you are in the panorama
                    to verify it. This is the only feature that I don't understand
                    completely yet, I must do more test with profiles.

                    Thanks!
                    fiero

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Sam Cuttriss <cuttriss@...> wrote:

                    > sorry just got on the list.
                    > so i missed the start of this thread,
                    > i have a space pilot i can test with on mac/ vista 64 / xp64 and xp
                    32....
                    > if that helps.
                    >
                    > _sam
                    >

                    > Milko K. Amorth wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Fiero,
                    > >
                    > > Excellent support. Bravo. I love it. Thank you.
                    > >
                    > > > Anybody with SpaceNavigator to test?
                    > > >

                    > > Individual profile....works very well and smooth in all directions
                    > > IExplorer 7.0.5730.13
                    > > Opera 9.50beta
                    > > Firefox 3.0
                    > >
                    > > IExplorer in Explorer profile is more sensitive in its settings
                    and the
                    > > 'zoom direction' is reversed!
                    > > (push/pull up and down is forward /backward in its settings and vice
                    > > versa)
                    > > Not such a big deal...one can set it and forget it, once figured out.
                    > >
                    > > Now, that's a way to navigate a panorama! The smoothness is still
                    > > unsurpassed, in my book.
                    > >
                    > > How is the Mac version coming along?
                    > >
                    > > Saludos, Milko

                  • Milko K. Amorth
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                      Hi Fiero,
                      > maybe when you open IExplorer is selected a
                      > different profile in 3Dconnexion Control Panel than when you open
                      > Firefox.
                      In IE it initially it opend in IE profile. As it would initially open in
                      QuicktimeVR profile when a QTVR in Quicktime was loaded. Once set up it
                      would auto save it as IE - "user' profile and and the second boot of Ie
                      it would load that IE -User profile again. It works fine from there on.
                      Its just that the zoom direction is reversed....but that can be set once
                      and is kept that way by the IE-user profile.
                      > Try to open this control panel when you are in the panorama
                      > to verify
                      IE and the other browsers all recognized the last used user profile when
                      the browser is started up and it works fine.
                      > This is the only feature that I don't understand
                      > completely yet, I must do more test with profiles.

                      The panel has an auto save configuration setting, which can be chosen.
                      One can set up as many configs as one would like and use 'save as' a
                      panorama instance. I do, as I use slightly different speeds in Google
                      Earth and Photoshop, therefore I got 3 custom profiles besides the
                      generic ones to choose from, now.

                      Works like a charm.

                      Cheers, Milko
                    • Fung Yu
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                        Hi Fiero,

                        I just tested my SN with the new version of Deval. It works
                        wonderfully. I however leave the zoom settings as is. Now
                        if we can only figure out a way for selecting other VRs in
                        a menu function... ;-)

                        Many thanks again on your work.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 9, 2008
                          Hi Fung Yu,

                          > Now if we can only figure out a way for selecting other VRs in
                          > a menu function...

                          :) I was thinking about this too. It could be good to have a way to
                          navigate only with the SpaceNavigator. This could be very nice to use
                          it in exhibitions, because it's a VERY robust gadget for public use.

                          About the implementation. I changed some small things in the behavior,
                          because 3Dconnexion staff adviced me about a consistent response with
                          how people will expect the behavior should be. Not all works correctly
                          with all default settings in the control panel and with the default
                          "Overall Speed" (this is the 3rd tick from the left). They certified
                          the plugin and will add DevalVR to its supported applications list
                          these days.

                          regards!
                          fiero

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 1, 2008