Re: [PanoToolsNG] Space Navigator and recent panoramic viewers - ?

  • Philipp B. Koch
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 29 3:37 PM
      Milko K. Amorth schrieb:
      > I love it for GE and Photoshop.....get it if you can you will never want
      > to be without it.
      What benefits does one have exactly in Photoshop with the Space
      Navigator? I work a lot with PS CS3 on PC, but only with 2D-stuff. Since
      I can easily zoom in and out with <ALT> + mouse wheel and drag with
      <SPACE>+left mouse key, I wonder how Space Navigator could make this
      more convenient? Do I miss something here?

      Best regards, Philipp
    • Milko K. Amorth
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 29 3:54 PM
        Hi Philip,
        > Do I miss something here?

        Not really, if you dont know. But if you do, you just might. What ever
        works for you is fine. It takes some time to get used to it, too

        Check this out:
        http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/dcc/photoshop.php

        Cheers, Milko

        --
        Milko K.Amorth
        ph:604.561.5101

        www.VRCanada.ca
        360° Immersive Imaging
        Skype: VRdundee

        Check out the new release of Lucid Flash Viewer in HD!
      • Philipp B. Koch
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 29 4:09 PM
          Milko K. Amorth schrieb:
          > Hi Philip,
          >
          >> Do I miss something here?
          >>

          > Not really, if you dont know. But if you do, you just might. What ever
          > works for you is fine. It takes some time to get used to it, too
          >
          > Check this out:
          > http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/dcc/photoshop.php
          Thanks, Milko! OK, besides the fact that this presentation guy obviously
          has a soft spot for dragons and especially fpr drastically dragging
          3D-dragons in Photoshop (<-- sorry for this, I just couldn't resist),
          this looks indeed tempting; if it really works this nice, it seems to
          make working with big images (e.g. panoramas) a lot easier, where
          panning and zooming is necessary very often. Maybe I should consider to
          buy one. (Oh, if I only was less a techie :-)

          Cheers, Philipp
        • Fung Yu
          Message 4 of 16 , May 29, 2008
            Hi Friends,

            Sometime ago, the above subject topic came up. I got very interested
            in the SN (space navigator), especially for kiosk-type LCD screen
            interactivity.

            Well, today I unwrapped my SN personal edition at last, courtesy of
            a friend who just arrived from US.

            The device is quite sleek and a great sight to behold vis-a-vis with the
            standard mouse.

            And as expected, the software(drivers) that comes with it is just for
            some specific applications and not really for VR interactivity. It does
            have rudimentary QTVR support on IE, but that was it.

            Not giving up, I was able to find a home-made driver that make the SN
            act like a mouse. After half a day tinkering with the software, finally
            able to get it working.

            So been playing with it on DevalVR, FPP, QTVR, both in browser mode
            and in stand-alone mode. It basically behave like a joy-stick, need some
            getting use to...but works! Certainly adds to the "wow" factor with the
            luminous blue glow.

            Regards,
          • Carel
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
              1drey wrote:

              > Did anybody use http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacenavigator.php with
              > DevalVR and Flash-based panoramic viewers?
              >
              > Think about getting one for a small stand on the upcoming exibition.

              For the museum show last year I used stainless steel trackballs. There were
              two buttons for in and out zooming and a third for switching to a pano of
              the same location with different lighting conditions. These things were
              built into a little pillar and practically indestructible:
              http://www.b3-industrie.com/trackingballs/index.html
              They behaved flawlessly with tens of thousands of visitors, including school
              children.

              Carel

            • fierodeval
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                Hi Andrey,

                Space Navigator can be used with latest version of DevalVR (7,0,0,17),
                player and plugins.
                In the 3Dconnexion Control Panel you must set "Zoom direction" to
                "Up/Down", all the other settings by default.

                This is the first version with Space Navigator support, maybe this
                needs some improvements yet. It requires the file TDxInput.dll, that
                is automatically installed in latest versions of 3Dconnexion drivers.

                Anybody with SpaceNavigator to test?

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                  Hi Fiero,

                  Excellent support. Bravo. I love it. Thank you.

                  > Anybody with SpaceNavigator to test?

                  Individual profile....works very well and smooth in all directions
                  IExplorer 7.0.5730.13
                  Opera 9.50beta
                  Firefox 3.0

                  IExplorer in Explorer profile is more sensitive in its settings and the
                  'zoom direction' is reversed!
                  (push/pull up and down is forward /backward in its settings and vice versa)
                  Not such a big deal...one can set it and forget it, once figured out.

                  Now, that's a way to navigate a panorama! The smoothness is still
                  unsurpassed, in my book.

                  How is the Mac version coming along?

                  Saludos, Milko
                • Sam Cuttriss
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                    sorry just got on the list.
                    so i missed the start of this thread,
                    i have a space pilot i can test with on mac/ vista 64 / xp64 and xp 32....
                    if that helps.

                    _sam

                    Milko K. Amorth wrote:

                    > Hi Fiero,
                    >
                    > Excellent support. Bravo. I love it. Thank you.
                    >
                    > > Anybody with SpaceNavigator to test?
                    > >

                    > Individual profile....works very well and smooth in all directions
                    > IExplorer 7.0.5730.13
                    > Opera 9.50beta
                    > Firefox 3.0
                    >
                    > IExplorer in Explorer profile is more sensitive in its settings and the
                    > 'zoom direction' is reversed!
                    > (push/pull up and down is forward /backward in its settings and vice
                    > versa)
                    > Not such a big deal...one can set it and forget it, once figured out.
                    >
                    > Now, that's a way to navigate a panorama! The smoothness is still
                    > unsurpassed, in my book.
                    >
                    > How is the Mac version coming along?
                    >
                    > Saludos, Milko

                  • fierodeval
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                      Hi Sam,

                      You can browse all messages through Yahoo groups page, see this
                      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/19786

                      I only have a SpaceNavigator, so it would be very nice if you test
                      your SpacePilot in any Windows system with any DevalVR page, you can
                      see some examples in www.devalvr.com. I don't know if SpacePilot uses
                      the same interface than SpaceNavigator.

                      Milko, about profiles, maybe when you open IExplorer is selected a
                      different profile in 3Dconnexion Control Panel than when you open
                      Firefox. Try to open this control panel when you are in the panorama
                      to verify it. This is the only feature that I don't understand
                      completely yet, I must do more test with profiles.

                      Thanks!
                      fiero

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Sam Cuttriss <cuttriss@...> wrote:

                      > sorry just got on the list.
                      > so i missed the start of this thread,
                      > i have a space pilot i can test with on mac/ vista 64 / xp64 and xp
                      32....
                      > if that helps.
                      >
                      > _sam
                      >

                      > Milko K. Amorth wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Fiero,
                      > >
                      > > Excellent support. Bravo. I love it. Thank you.
                      > >
                      > > > Anybody with SpaceNavigator to test?
                      > > >

                      > > Individual profile....works very well and smooth in all directions
                      > > IExplorer 7.0.5730.13
                      > > Opera 9.50beta
                      > > Firefox 3.0
                      > >
                      > > IExplorer in Explorer profile is more sensitive in its settings
                      and the
                      > > 'zoom direction' is reversed!
                      > > (push/pull up and down is forward /backward in its settings and vice
                      > > versa)
                      > > Not such a big deal...one can set it and forget it, once figured out.
                      > >
                      > > Now, that's a way to navigate a panorama! The smoothness is still
                      > > unsurpassed, in my book.
                      > >
                      > > How is the Mac version coming along?
                      > >
                      > > Saludos, Milko

                    • Milko K. Amorth
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                        Hi Fiero,
                        > maybe when you open IExplorer is selected a
                        > different profile in 3Dconnexion Control Panel than when you open
                        > Firefox.
                        In IE it initially it opend in IE profile. As it would initially open in
                        QuicktimeVR profile when a QTVR in Quicktime was loaded. Once set up it
                        would auto save it as IE - "user' profile and and the second boot of Ie
                        it would load that IE -User profile again. It works fine from there on.
                        Its just that the zoom direction is reversed....but that can be set once
                        and is kept that way by the IE-user profile.
                        > Try to open this control panel when you are in the panorama
                        > to verify
                        IE and the other browsers all recognized the last used user profile when
                        the browser is started up and it works fine.
                        > This is the only feature that I don't understand
                        > completely yet, I must do more test with profiles.

                        The panel has an auto save configuration setting, which can be chosen.
                        One can set up as many configs as one would like and use 'save as' a
                        panorama instance. I do, as I use slightly different speeds in Google
                        Earth and Photoshop, therefore I got 3 custom profiles besides the
                        generic ones to choose from, now.

                        Works like a charm.

                        Cheers, Milko
                      • Fung Yu
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                          Hi Fiero,

                          I just tested my SN with the new version of Deval. It works
                          wonderfully. I however leave the zoom settings as is. Now
                          if we can only figure out a way for selecting other VRs in
                          a menu function... ;-)

                          Many thanks again on your work.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 9, 2008
                            Hi Fung Yu,

                            > Now if we can only figure out a way for selecting other VRs in
                            > a menu function...

                            :) I was thinking about this too. It could be good to have a way to
                            navigate only with the SpaceNavigator. This could be very nice to use
                            it in exhibitions, because it's a VERY robust gadget for public use.

                            About the implementation. I changed some small things in the behavior,
                            because 3Dconnexion staff adviced me about a consistent response with
                            how people will expect the behavior should be. Not all works correctly
                            with all default settings in the control panel and with the default
                            "Overall Speed" (this is the 3rd tick from the left). They certified
                            the plugin and will add DevalVR to its supported applications list
                            these days.

                            regards!
                            fiero

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 1, 2008