Re: [PanoToolsNG] Timelapse panorama project

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
      Sometime around 29/4/08 (at 18:08 +0200) pau valiente said:

      >Hi everyone, we have finally finished the timelapse panorama project
      >I did talk some weeks ago. You can check the results in:
      >http://mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/

      Beautiful, strange, mesmerising.
      Yet again, I regret only understanding English!

      I look forward to hearing more information about how you did this.

    • ziouga
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2008
        > Comments are welcome!
        > I hope you like it!

        Great, Pau!

        This project must have represented a huge amount of work...
        Hope you'll find the time to realize a making-of of the whole workflow! :)))

        I like particularily the delicate colors and natural feeling that you preserved.
        I also appreciate the real book that pops up sometimes!

        greetings
        Alessandro
      • pau valiente
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5 12:40 PM
          Keith, John, Alessandro,
          thanks for your nice words, after all the work done on this project
          is very recomfortable to feel that interest. Thanks!
          I'll see if in any piece of free time I get soon I can do a
          "subtitled" panorama, maybe will be the first! ;-) At least I'll try
          to translate the script or make a little summary.
          I went to do the photographs with a friend of mine who is Director of
          Photography in movies and is interested about panoramas. It was hard
          to be there from 7:30 morning till 20:00 evening, and each 5 minutes
          do the 6 shots horizontal at 10mm with the canon 10-22 (landscape
          position). Sometimes I went to relax and walk a little and sometimes
          she stayed at the feet of the tripod reading .....
          The pigs where very scared of our presence at first, but as some of
          them where aproaching and we stayed very stable, finally all of them
          came by our side. After some time we had to jump in front of them to
          make them move one or two meters away of us. The problem was that
          they were sniffing and eating and lots of them went to eat our food,
          and because of the 360 photographs we had to hide the food from the
          camera at the back of the first tree. Also they where so intrigued
          about us being there that some where to try the taste of the
          tripod!!! Imagine my face when I turned to check the tripod and saw a
          big pig tasting the tripod with his tongue!!!! :-o

          The resolution of the installation is much better than the one on the
          web viewer. We where working with 8 PAL with some space between them
          doing a final panorama size of 7205 by 405 pixels (PAL anamorphic of
          576 pixels). Here you can see an example of the final canvas: http://
          tinyurl.com/6yfq6q

          The bigger problems stiching were my fault when photographing, first
          of all the biggest problem was that in two moments during the shot we
          did touch slightly the zoom ring and change it a little. And being in
          the PTGUI app, I did tell the application to not to optimize the lens
          setting different for all the images because some times I got worst
          results than using the same setting for all. The second thing was
          that the PTGUI app is not prepared (or not yet ;-) for timelapse
          panoramas with the panosaurus head, so when you ask to look for
          points it doesn't look for points between each consecutive image and
          looks between the images that had lots of resemblance (or so it
          seems). But anyway, that's simple to fix by forcing it to look for
          points between each pair MANUALLY .... 8-o (I had some other friends
          also helping me in this hard and boring work!). The rest was fine, I
          missed some automatisms in the PTGUI app, but I understand that the
          use I gave it it's not the normal use everybody gives. As I had
          800-1000 photos per place (so finally 2600-3000 photographs in three
          projects).
          Of course a 360precision would have made my life a lot easier, I
          think that a NN3 would have done also my life easier as it have
          detent too, but the panosaurus head we used worked perfectly I must
          say. The problem was that in this project the budget was very thin
          and it was impossible to think about a 360p. Next time maybe ;-)

          Technically once I had all the "frames" stitched we entered in a
          process of video postproduction of a canvas of 7205 by 600 that later
          croped to the 7205 by 405 (proporionally to a 16:9 aspect ratio). As
          you can see on the canvas I showed you ( http://tinyurl.com/6yfq6q )
          the black bars where the structure of the projection screen, the grey
          spaces are the part that we don't project because there is where the
          people enter and leave.
          Once finished the postproduction, I divided the big canvas in 8 video
          movies (in after effects). The projection system is a flash card
          based video player sincronized by a dmx system I think. As I didn't
          do the technollogy design I can tell. Anyway it's nothing extremelly
          dificult to achieve.

          If anyone of you have further questions, don't hestiate to ask, I'll
          be glad to answer! Also would like to hear about your project, John,
          maybe we could collaborate!

          Thanks all again for your words!

          pau valiente
          www.pau.cc