Re: Timelapse panorama project

  • johncharlesriley
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, pau valiente <groups@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone, we have finally finished the timelapse panorama project
      > I did talk some weeks ago. You can check the results in:
      > http://mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/
      > There you will find the panorama divided on three parts to fit a PAL
      > movie, a lucid viewer pano with the video (i'ts a pitty not to have
      > directional sound) and finally the youtube videos where you can see
      > the exposition being build and the final result.
      >
      > Comments are welcome!
      > I hope you like it!
      >

      > pau valiente
      > www.pau.cc

      Hi Pau,

      That is very cool, especially when the pigs come to visit. (Did any of the pigs show an
      unwelcome interest in your tripod/camera setup?) There are a few questions I want to ask
      about the project.

      How does the resolution in the installation compare to the lucid viewer on the web? I am
      imagining it must be a good deal higher.

      Did you take all of the pictures yourself or did you have some assistants? I would zone
      out or fall asleep after a few hours and miss some shots for sure 8-)

      Looking back over your posts, it sounds like you had a good deal of trouble with the
      stitching and alignment from one pano to the next. Do you think using a panohead like
      the 360Precision (and a heavily weighted tripod) with a template for batch stitching could
      have made your life a lot easier? Just the hours you would have saved probably would
      have paid for one!

      How did you run the projection system? How did you divide up the panorama between
      the eight projectors and synchronize them? Were you running it all off of a single
      computer with several video cards or what? Details!

      I would like to do an installation of this sort and any lessons you have learned that you
      would like to share with us are welcomed.

      Good work!

      John Riley
    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
        Sometime around 29/4/08 (at 18:08 +0200) pau valiente said:

        >Hi everyone, we have finally finished the timelapse panorama project
        >I did talk some weeks ago. You can check the results in:
        >http://mardeimagenes.com/guadix_expo/

        Beautiful, strange, mesmerising.
        Yet again, I regret only understanding English!

        I look forward to hearing more information about how you did this.

      • ziouga
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2008
          > Comments are welcome!
          > I hope you like it!

          Great, Pau!

          This project must have represented a huge amount of work...
          Hope you'll find the time to realize a making-of of the whole workflow! :)))

          I like particularily the delicate colors and natural feeling that you preserved.
          I also appreciate the real book that pops up sometimes!

          greetings
          Alessandro
        • pau valiente
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2008
            Keith, John, Alessandro,
            thanks for your nice words, after all the work done on this project
            is very recomfortable to feel that interest. Thanks!
            I'll see if in any piece of free time I get soon I can do a
            "subtitled" panorama, maybe will be the first! ;-) At least I'll try
            to translate the script or make a little summary.
            I went to do the photographs with a friend of mine who is Director of
            Photography in movies and is interested about panoramas. It was hard
            to be there from 7:30 morning till 20:00 evening, and each 5 minutes
            do the 6 shots horizontal at 10mm with the canon 10-22 (landscape
            position). Sometimes I went to relax and walk a little and sometimes
            she stayed at the feet of the tripod reading .....
            The pigs where very scared of our presence at first, but as some of
            them where aproaching and we stayed very stable, finally all of them
            came by our side. After some time we had to jump in front of them to
            make them move one or two meters away of us. The problem was that
            they were sniffing and eating and lots of them went to eat our food,
            and because of the 360 photographs we had to hide the food from the
            camera at the back of the first tree. Also they where so intrigued
            about us being there that some where to try the taste of the
            tripod!!! Imagine my face when I turned to check the tripod and saw a
            big pig tasting the tripod with his tongue!!!! :-o

            The resolution of the installation is much better than the one on the
            web viewer. We where working with 8 PAL with some space between them
            doing a final panorama size of 7205 by 405 pixels (PAL anamorphic of
            576 pixels). Here you can see an example of the final canvas: http://
            tinyurl.com/6yfq6q

            The bigger problems stiching were my fault when photographing, first
            of all the biggest problem was that in two moments during the shot we
            did touch slightly the zoom ring and change it a little. And being in
            the PTGUI app, I did tell the application to not to optimize the lens
            setting different for all the images because some times I got worst
            results than using the same setting for all. The second thing was
            that the PTGUI app is not prepared (or not yet ;-) for timelapse
            panoramas with the panosaurus head, so when you ask to look for
            points it doesn't look for points between each consecutive image and
            looks between the images that had lots of resemblance (or so it
            seems). But anyway, that's simple to fix by forcing it to look for
            points between each pair MANUALLY .... 8-o (I had some other friends
            also helping me in this hard and boring work!). The rest was fine, I
            missed some automatisms in the PTGUI app, but I understand that the
            use I gave it it's not the normal use everybody gives. As I had
            800-1000 photos per place (so finally 2600-3000 photographs in three
            projects).
            Of course a 360precision would have made my life a lot easier, I
            think that a NN3 would have done also my life easier as it have
            detent too, but the panosaurus head we used worked perfectly I must
            say. The problem was that in this project the budget was very thin
            and it was impossible to think about a 360p. Next time maybe ;-)

            Technically once I had all the "frames" stitched we entered in a
            process of video postproduction of a canvas of 7205 by 600 that later
            croped to the 7205 by 405 (proporionally to a 16:9 aspect ratio). As
            you can see on the canvas I showed you ( http://tinyurl.com/6yfq6q )
            the black bars where the structure of the projection screen, the grey
            spaces are the part that we don't project because there is where the
            people enter and leave.
            Once finished the postproduction, I divided the big canvas in 8 video
            movies (in after effects). The projection system is a flash card
            based video player sincronized by a dmx system I think. As I didn't
            do the technollogy design I can tell. Anyway it's nothing extremelly
            dificult to achieve.

            If anyone of you have further questions, don't hestiate to ask, I'll
            be glad to answer! Also would like to hear about your project, John,
            maybe we could collaborate!

            Thanks all again for your words!

            pau valiente
            www.pau.cc