[ANN] 360Precision Atome - Lens Clasp Panoramic Tripod Head

  • Matthew Rogers
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 29, 2008
      360Precision product announcement.

      Pre-Order Price: £159 ex VAT (final price est. £199 ex VAT).
      Shipping: End of May 2008
      Available for: Nikkor 10.5, Sigma 4.5, Sigma 8mm, Sigma 10mm and
      others to follow shortly.

      For the past 15 months we've been working on an evolutionary design
      for a new panoramic tripod head. Finally after numerous prototypes,
      testing and changes we're proud to announce the availability of the
      new 360Precision Atome.

      The 360Precision Atome continues our tradition of unique products
      designed for panoramic photographers by panoramic photographers.

      The 360Precision Atome features a unique quick release lens clasp
      system. The quick release clasp allows for fast one-handed operation.
      As the clasp stays permanently attached to the lens you only need to
      level the lens/camera in the Atome on initial set-up. Each time you
      place the lens/clasp back into the holder you can be guaranteed that
      the camera/lens will be level and ready to shoot.

      We're in the process of verifying the accuracy of the 360Precision
      Atome for use in a batchable work-flow. Initial tests are extremely
      positive and we'll post an update when out tests have been finalised.

      We're launching the 360Precision Atome at a pre-order price of £159 ex
      VAT + shipping. We're expecting initial stock to sell out in days so
      get your order in quickly. The Atome will be shipping initially for
      the Nikkor 10.5 with the various Sigma versions shipping shortly
      afterwards.

      Features of the 360Precision Atome include:

      • Quick release lens clasp.
      • Clasp stays permanently attached to the lens.
      • Lightweight at only 420gms (standard stainless base).
      • Zero footprint base rotator (applicable lenses only).
      • Perfect for use as a second head for
      hiking, travel or back-packing.
      • Initially available for Nikkor 10.5mm, coming soon for
      Sigma 4.5mm and Sigma 8mm f3.5
      • 3,4 or 6 click stops (lens dependent).
      • Central 3/8" mount, perfect for use in pole
      panoramic photography.
      • Stainless steel or lightweight aluminum base option.

      The 360Precision Atome is the perfect panoramic head where weight,
      accuracy and ease of use is a priority. The quick release system
      allows you to go from panoramic photography to standard photography
      and back in seconds. Each clasp and holder is designed to minimise the
      nadir footprint and allows for full 360º spherical panos without the
      need to shoot a zenith shot (lens dependant). If you do need to shoot
      a zenith you can remove the camera and lens one handed in 2-3 seconds,
      shoot the zenith handheld and lock the clasp back into the base.

      We'll also be offering special bundles for customers wanting to
      purchase an Atome with an Absolute or Adjuste. We'll be adding cheaper
      shipping options to the website shortly but if anyone needs cheaper
      shipping now just reply to the order confirmation for options and we
      can adjust the ship option and cost before processing the order.

      You can check out the more details and photos on the 360Precision
      website: www.360precision.com

      If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

      Matthew Rogers
      Co-founder
      360Precision.com

    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 29, 2008
        Congratulations Matthew

        Any plans for a Tokina 10-17 mmm
        I've replaced mine Nikkor 10,5mm for it since it gives me more "lens" :-)
        And on the Sigma 8mm can I use with the ƒ: 4 ?

        Thanks
        AYRTON

        ------------
        | A Y R |
        | T O N |
        ------------

        + 55 21 9982 6313

        http://ayrton360.com
        http://rio.360cities.net
        http://vrfolio.com
        http://ayrton.com

      • Andrei Zdetovetchi
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 29, 2008
          Very interesting Matthew, but what about the Peleng 8mm?
          I'd like a head like Atome for my Peleng but everywhere I look it seems to be ignored by the panohead manufacturers... :P

          Best regards,
          Andrei Zdetovetchi

          Muza pierduta - http://zdeto.wordpress.com/
          the panoblogus - http://www.csvd.ro/panoblog/
          flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zdeto/
          ---

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 29, 2008
              Hi Andrei,

              Once we get the main lenses supported we will definitely looked into
              a Peleng 8mm version.

              Matt

              On 29 Apr 2008, at 14:16, Andrei Zdetovetchi wrote:

              > Very interesting Matthew, but what about the Peleng 8mm?
              > I'd like a head like Atome for my Peleng but everywhere I look it
              > seems to be ignored by the panohead manufacturers... :P
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Andrei Zdetovetchi
              >
              > Muza pierduta - http://zdeto.wordpress.com/
              > the panoblogus - http://www.csvd.ro/panoblog/
              > flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zdeto/
              > ---

            • Matthew Rogers
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 29, 2008
                Hi AYRTON,

                Definitely, I use my 10-17 more and more and would love a 10-17 Atome
                for myself. As for other lenses like the f4 the timeframe for delivery
                will depend purely on demand.

                Matt

              • Wheaton, Simon
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 29, 2008
                  Does the Atome (and P5100) shoot up/down rows, or just a single horizontal row? From looking at the product pics on the website, it doesn't seem to rotate up/down as well as around, so no good for spherical panos, only cylindrical panos, is that right?.

                  If up/down rows for spherical panos, I'd like one for my Canon 10-22mm lens.

                  Thanks,
                  Simon
                  Canberra
                  AUSTRALIA

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 29, 2008
                    That's good news, Matt. Do you have any ETA? ;)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 29, 2008
                      Hi Simon,

                      It's really only design for single row fisheye panoramas. We will
                      however have the various upright supports tilted to allow a full
                      sphericals to be taken. For example, with the 8mm or 10mm versions
                      titled at 10-15º you can shoot full sphericals with only 4 and 6 shots
                      respectively.

                      We could probably adapt the Atome to shoot multi-rows but it's not
                      planned at this stage and to be honest, probably won't happen anytime
                      soon if at all.

                      Matt

                      On 29 Apr 2008, at 14:52, Wheaton, Simon wrote:

                      > Does the Atome (and P5100) shoot up/down rows, or just a single
                      > horizontal row? From looking at the product pics on the website, it
                      > doesn't seem to rotate up/down as well as around, so no good for
                      > spherical panos, only cylindrical panos, is that right?.
                      >
                      > If up/down rows for spherical panos, I'd like one for my Canon
                      > 10-22mm lens.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Simon
                      > Canberra
                      > AUSTRALIA
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Rodolpho Pajuaba
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 29, 2008
                        One can place the Atom on a vertical, indexed bracket and it will work
                        as a multi-row attachment. I even thought that that´s what the Adjuste
                        rig was - unfortunatey I was wrong :-( .
                        Regards,
                        Rodolpho Pajuaba

                        Matthew Rogers wrote:
                        > Hi Simon,
                        >
                        > It's really only design for single row fisheye panoramas. We will
                        > however have the various upright supports tilted to allow a full
                        > sphericals to be taken. For example, with the 8mm or 10mm versions
                        > titled at 10-15º you can shoot full sphericals with only 4 and 6 shots
                        > respectively.
                        >
                        > We could probably adapt the Atome to shoot multi-rows but it's not
                        > planned at this stage and to be honest, probably won't happen anytime
                        > soon if at all.
                        >
                        > Matt

                      • dsoc01
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 29, 2008
                          Hi Matthew,

                          1. Is the rotational feature of the rotator-base optionally "lockable" to prevent lens/camera combo from flopping around? If it is lockable, is it also possible to have the lens/camera to spin free ("clutchless") for accurate placement before lock-down?

                          2. Can the same base rotator be use with a Nikon 10.5mm AND Sigma 8mm with the appropriate lens clasp, assuming the click-stops are adjustable? Or is each base specific for each lens (:-() ?

                          Thanks.

                          Dan

                          At 1:26 PM +0100 4/29/08, Matthew Rogers wrote:
                          >360Precision product announcement.
                        • Ken Warner
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 29, 2008
                            That looks great. I hope you have different size
                            clamps for different diameter lens *AND EXTENSION TUBES*

                            Something like that is what I need for my compact Fuji e900
                            with an extension tube.

                            Matthew Rogers wrote:
                            > 360Precision product announcement.
                            >
                            > Pre-Order Price: £159 ex VAT (final price est. £199 ex VAT).
                            > Shipping: End of May 2008
                            > Available for: Nikkor 10.5, Sigma 4.5, Sigma 8mm, Sigma 10mm and
                            > others to follow shortly.
                            >
                            > For the past 15 months we've been working on an evolutionary design
                            > for a new panoramic tripod head. Finally after numerous prototypes,
                            > testing and changes we're proud to announce the availability of the
                            > new 360Precision Atome.
                            >[stuff deleted]
                          • Matthew Rogers
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 29, 2008
                              Hi Dan,

                              The Atome is limited on features to keep both the weight and cost
                              down and make it as simple to use as possible. We always take
                              suggestions on board and if we receive enough demand for a certain
                              feature then we will look into it.

                              1. There's no locking mechanism but you can always tighten the ball
                              plunger to stop the head from spinning.

                              2. Not really, there's only the main barrel and bearings in common.
                              We seriously thought about making the Y section universal but this
                              would add to the weight, size and cost of the head. When we looked at
                              the number of current customers using multiple fisheye lenses compared
                              to just one it didn�t make sense. Keeping the Atome specific to one
                              set-up benefits both the largest number of customers and the product
                              itself.

                              Matt

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 29, 2008
                                On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Hi AYRTON,
                                > Definitely, I use my 10-17 more and more and would love a 10-17
                                > Atome for myself.

                                OK
                                so put me on waiting list for the Tokina 10-17 :-)

                                Cheers and again congratulations on a beautifull designed head.

                                AYRTON

                                | A Y R |
                                | T O N |

                                + 55 21 9982 6313