Camera settings to create panos

  • marcomarilyn
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2008
      I am a producer for a virtual tour company. I have never used the
      camera because I have been strictly production using PTGui, Photoshop,
      Pano2vr and Tourweaver. Our photographer up and walked out. All I want
      to know is what setting to use on our camera to create panos. Camera we
      are using is a Nikon D200 with a flash Nikon Speedlight SB-600. The
      manual is confusing but I am very good at figuring things out on my
      own, I don't know where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions, or
      are familiar with this camera?
    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2008
        Where are you located? If you are near one of the photographers on this
        list, you might be better off hiring them either to shoot for you or hiring
        them short term to teach you the basics of photography. I think there are
        far too many variables to be able to answer your question via email.

        Mark
        www.nyc.360cities.net
        www.pinnacle-vr.com
        www.northernlight.net

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2008
          On Thursday, April 24, 2008 at 15:41, marcomarilyn wrote:

          > All I want to know is what setting to use on our camera to create
          > panos. Camera we are using is a Nikon D200 with a flash Nikon
          > Speedlight SB-600. The manual is confusing but I am very good at
          > figuring things out on my own, I don't know where to start. Does
          > anyone have any suggestions, or are familiar with this camera?

          I'm not familiar with that particular camera, but there are some
          basics:
          - shoot with fixed exposure (manual mode, most likely identified by
          an M on the camera program dial)
          - shoot with fixed white balance. (should be accessible via menu).
          White balance can be adjusted afterwards if you shoot RAW.
          - shoot with fixed focus (eventually set to infinity).

          A flash is difficult to use for panoramas. That's definitely an
          advanced technique. Better than a flash is currently to use available
          light and eventually shoot bracketed and use a tool like enfuse
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Enfuse or the PTGui internal fusing tool.

          May be you find something in to tutorial section of the wiki,
          especially: http://wiki.panotools.org/Tutorials#Photography

          best regards