re: SPAM-LOW: Re: [PanoToolsNG] A challenge to Panographers around the world

  • Stuart Milne
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006
      Hi Carlos,

      Just a couple of suggestions from me.

      1. I Would be wary of using a cube. I think that no matter what you attempt it will be obvious that you are stood in a cube (even if you get good illumination, the focusing distance your eyes are looking at will give it away.)

      [That said, if you plan to try to project something that would be similar to a cube when shot (e.g. a view from inside a square room), then the cubic projection would be most suited and would look awesome.]

      My guess however, is that you will be dealing mostly with outdoor scenes, of scenes with no 'cubic' feel to them. These scenes will be far more 'cylindrical' in nature, and is what I would try to replicate. Would it be possible to build a circular rig, and stretch a cylindrical pano onto it? You could then put a circular 'sky' above, I think the join point would be noticable, but in most panoramas there would be little information up there to detract from the effect. IMO this is a much nicer propsition than a cubic image where you will have multiple discontinuites.

      __________

      2. Stood in an illuminated light box (whatever shape it will be) should certainly be quite impressive. I think that directional audio would be relatively easy to impliment, and would make the experience noticably more involving.

      When you shoot the panorama, take a directional mic with you (or multiple if you have the means, it would be best this way as it would record a more realistic environment echos etc.), and record in multiple directions (maybe 6 around and 1 up). Place speakers external to your light box, pointing in from the correct direction you recorded the sounds from, and play on loop.

      Done correctly, I think the sound would produce an awesome environment, and with modern dolby digital muxing you could actually get a single 5 channel system made with a £300 off the shelf system and a DVD burner :-)

      Kindest,

      Stu

    • Carlos Chegado - www.netlojas.biz
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006
        Stuart,

        Yes, you have a point there, the choice to be made is between a Cube and
        a Cylinder, both forms may work depending on the scene to be shown.

        Sound is definitely a plus.

        I never recorded any sound while shooting panos, don't know a thing
        about it and don't have any equipment either.
        What is needed to record ambient sound on a place? What kind of micros
        and recorders work best? Suggestions needed.

        Carlos Chegado

        Olho de Peixe Lda