First Post to Group - possibly dumb software player question...

  • Andy Barnett
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
      Hi Guys,

      First off I'd like to introduce myself - my name's Andy Barnett and I'm from
      Hever in Kent, United Kingdom (about a mile from the castle before anyone
      asks - lots of photo opertunities 8-).

      I've been playing with cylindrical panos for about 3 years now (Canon EOS
      350, Sigma 10-20mm/Panosaurus/Panavue, PTGui & Pano Tools.) - it's taken me
      that long to find the group!

      As to the question.

      I have a mate who is a "high art" interior designer/decorator who produces
      some pretty amazing stuff and we've been talking about including some pano's
      of his work on his web site which would be easy to do.

      However I got to thinking it would be really cool to have two panos running
      side by side as a "before" and "after" - again easy to do.

      But what would be really cool would be to sync the players linking the
      rotational position and zoom so one "tracks" the other - from my somewhat
      sparse knowledge not easy 8-(

      So my somewhat dumb first question to the guru's is "Is this possible and if
      so how?" - its currently beyond me!

      TIA for any suggestions!

      Andy B.

    • Philipp B. Koch
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
        Andy Barnett schrieb:
        > But what would be really cool would be to sync the players linking the
        > rotational position and zoom so one "tracks" the other - from my somewhat
        > sparse knowledge not easy 8-(
        >
        > So my somewhat dumb first question to the guru's is "Is this possible and if
        > so how?" - its currently beyond me!
        Hello Andy,

        I'm far away from being a guru, yet I can answer your question partly.
        Unfortunately, you don't write which players you use... Well, I am using
        Flash Panorama Player (FPP), and with this one it's an easy thing to do.
        You simply make your two panos, and via XML you define a hotspot, a
        timer intervall or whatever you like in the first pano so that it
        changes to the second pano within the same flash window. If you choose
        "pano.leash=lock", then pan, tilt and zoom stay exactly the same during
        transition. Provided you produce the two panos exactly overlapping, you
        have a real before/after-effect.

        The respective part of the XML could be as easy as this:

        <spot id="before" url="images/before.png"
        static="1" salign="TR" align="TR" visible="0"
        onClick="before.visible=0;after.visible=1;
        pano.leash=lock;loadPano(panoName=panos/after,300);"
        />

        <spot id="after" url="images/after.png"
        static="1" salign="TR" align="TR" visible="1"
        onClick="before.visible=1;after.visible=0;
        pano.leash=lock;loadPano(panoName=panos/before,300);"
        />

        This defines two hotspots (buttons) in the top right corner of the flash
        window: One to show the "before", one for the "after" pano. When a
        button is clicked, it disappears (showing the other one instead) and
        loads the respective pano. That's it :-)

        Hope that helps... Best regards, Philipp
      • Andy Barnett
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
          Wow - quick reply or what.

          I must admit I haven't played with FPP at all - slap my wrist.

          Looks like it will do exactly what I want with the exception of two panos
          side by side - time to go play me-thinks!

          Thanks again for the quick reply!

          Andy B.
        • Philipp B. Koch
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
            You can also have two panos side by side with FPP: You would simply
            define two Flash objects in your HTML which are side by side.
            Since FPP is also controllable via Javascript and so on, you could for
            example have one pano control the other pano's movement at the
            same time -- all it takes is a little programming.

            I only work with FPP (I don't use other players), so I can not compare
            by personal experience. But FPP is cheap and very powerful.
            So I think it's not the worst to give it a try. There's also a highly
            frequented forum for FPP, and people there are very responsive. I'm
            not a FPP-master, but many of the users there are; I received a lot of
            help there already.

            Regards, Philipp

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
              On Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 9:31, Andy Barnett wrote:

              > But what would be really cool would be to sync the players linking the
              > rotational position and zoom so one "tracks" the other - from my somewhat
              > sparse knowledge not easy 8-(

              As far as I know DevalVR can do that as well - there was an example
              some month ago for stereo, but that should not matter:
              http://www.nabble.com/-td14952423.html

              Spi-V can switch smoothely between different panoramas:
              http://fieldofview.com/spv/show.php?file=metamorphosis.xml

              QTVR can by synced to a certain extent, here switchable:
              http://www.mediavr.com/oldnewpand.htm

              And even PTViewer can do it.

              best regards
            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
                Sometime around 19/4/08 (at 18:22 +0200) Erik Krause said:

                >As far as I know DevalVR can do that as well - there was an example
                >some month ago for stereo, but that should not matter:
                >http://www.nabble.com/-td14952423.html
                >
                >Spi-V can switch smoothely between different panoramas:
                >http://fieldofview.com/spv/show.php?file=metamorphosis.xml
                >
                >QTVR can by synced to a certain extent, here switchable:
                >http://www.mediavr.com/oldnewpand.htm
                >
                >And even PTViewer can do it.

                Interesting collection of possibilities, thanks!

                The DevalVR option did sound very promising - but no matter how cool
                it gets (and it is getting damn cool, apparently), until there's a
                Mac version it is not something that I can see or would consider
                using.

                Spi-V doesn't work with Intel Macs unless the browser is relaunched
                in Rosetta mode, which ain't gonna happen. If I'm reluctant, why
                would a casual visitor even consider it?

                The QTVR example keeps the rotation in sync, which is cool. It isn't
                the original poster's ideal of having two panos shown side by side,
                but it is an option. Clunky though - a video dissolve would be nicer.

                Anyone know of a PTViewer example?

                I think FPP is going to be the way to go here.

              • Serge Maandag
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
                  > Anyone know of a PTViewer example?

                  http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/11537

                  Forget about the example links in that email. I sold the domain
                  maandag.com some time ago. But the quoted code works.

                  Serge Maandag
                  http://360photo.org/

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
                    On Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 17:41, Keith Martin wrote:

                    > The QTVR example keeps the rotation in sync, which is cool. It isn't
                    > the original poster's ideal of having two panos shown side by side,
                    > but it is an option. Clunky though - a video dissolve would be nicer.

                    It is possible to sync two viewers as well. There was an example some
                    time ago, but I didn't search long enough to find it. I think it used
                    Javascript to do it. Movement of the secondary pano was a bit
                    delayed, hence no way for stereo panos (unless you want to get
                    seasick of course ;-) but for a before and after it should work...

                    best regards
                  • Andy Barnett
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 20, 2008
                      Thanks for all the advice guys; I didn't realize I had so many options!

                      Guess it time to go play!

                      Andy B.