Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: A challenge to Panographers around the world

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 85 , Sep 2, 2006
      On 2 Sep 2006 at 0:50, Carlos Chegado - www.netlojas.biz wrote:

      This is indeed a very interesting idea, which I've also been thinking about for a while,
      after printing out a few small PhiloSpheres.
      Coincidentially I will today get a used plotter from a friend (for free :).
      It's a 60" Encad Novajet 700. I don't know much about it, but it seems to print color at
      up to 600dpi at a60cm width. Do you think this plotter/printer would be up to the task?
      It should be 2 banners for each cube face.
      It is supposed to be able to plot on a lot of media, including film, vinyl, Tyvek and
      canvas.
      I see that there are lots of (expensive) RIPs available for this plotter. Is this really
      necessary for photo printing, or would it be OK to print using the XP driver (and ICC
      profiles?)? As you see I don't have much experience in this area. I have had an Epson
      3000 (A2) for several years now, but I never used any RIPs or anything to get good
      results. Now the black ink has clogged completely though ;)

> [...]
      > >
      > > As long as it's up to panels of the size equivalent to
      > > equirectangular panos of approximately 20.000 px wide that's not an
      > > issue as Hans said.
      > >
      > > But what comes to my mind is that a resolution of 50 dpi might not be
      > > enough if viewed from the center of a 3m cube.
      > >
      > > Printing is an option but projection might be another. Think of
      > > companies like Barco as sponsors.
      > >
      > > Some thoughts on the presentation of the cubes:
      > > For indoor use there would be a lighting issue. For outdoor use the
      > > cubes would have to be weatherproof. In both cases the construction
      > > of the cube should affect the picture as less as possible.
      > >
      > > It might be desirable to keep the cubes dismountable in some way, so
      > > the exhibition could be shown in other locations around the world.
      > >
      > > If we can develop some detailed design parameters I might be able to
      > > discuss this with the guys of a company that uses membrane technology
      > > for architectural projects of all kind.
      > >
      > > All the best
      > > Juergen
      > >
      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Carlos Chegado -
      > > www.netlojas.biz" <carloschegado@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello,
      > > >
      > > > I have a challenge for all of you.
      > > > Several times was discussed on this list the way to get us off the
      > > > virtual screen into the real world.
      > > > One way to do this is to build life size cubes and print the inside
      > > > panels with the cubic projections that we use to make cubic QTVR
      > > files
      > > > (although with more resolution) so that a person could walk in and
      > > feel
      > > > like it was there.
      > > >
      > > > Well, yesterday was talking about this with the owner of an
      > > important
      > > > Art Gallery here in Portugal, and he is interested in making a big
      > > show
      > > > using this concept.
      > > >
      > > > He has the space needed and will finance the building of the boxes,
      > > > happen to own a Large Format Print Center here in Portugal and I
      > > can
      > > > print the whole thing as big as needed, all together we have the
      > > > creative drive needed to make this a success.
      > > >
      > > > This is not like printing equirectangular images that most people
      > > can't
      > > > figure out what it is, this is about capture some point of view
      > > > somewhere around the world and displaying it 180x360º elsewhere
      > > > retaining the same perspective, a truly immersive feeling.
      > > >
      > > > The question is, can this be done?
      > > >
      > > > I don't know if it will work out, I only promise I will try to make
      > > it work.
      > > >
      > > > We have to decide how to make this cubes.
      > > >
      > > > We have to decide a theme for it.
      > > >
      > > > We have to decide some technical aspects like resolution and the
      > > file
      > > > size of the cubes.
      > > >
      > > > Can we make this into art objects?
      > > >
      > > > Let's discuss this and if more people then me are interested in

      bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
      Kristiansand, Norway
    • Bruno Postle
      Message 85 of 85 , Sep 13, 2006
        On Wed 13-Sep-2006 at 11:05 +0200, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

        > I will hopefully be able to have a prototype made soon too. The roof will probably not be
        > flat, but pyramid-like, and there will be an internal structure inside, including a zig-
        > zag structure to hold the roof. I don't know yet if there will be a printed ceiling. Do
        > you think it would be enough to just "perspective correct" the 4 wedge shapes from a
        > single zenith square?

        Yes, just split the square zenith image into four triangles and
        stretch them to match the shape of the triangle of your pyramid
        sides. This isn't exactly correct, but it will be near enough as
        so long as your pyramid is shallow.

        --
        Bruno