new camera for Nikon FC-E8 Fisheye

  • Flemming V. Larsen
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2 2:13 AM
      For my mushroom "macro" photography I'm still using my old coolpix 995. But I'd like to get some more resolution than the 3.34 mp.
      First I was thinking about getting a 60mm micro nikkor for my D70. But then again that would mean I had to lay down in the dirt to look through the viewfinder - and (allthough I know I won't get the same picture quality with the smaller ccd) I can get a brand new 6-8 mp compact with swivel-screen/body for the same price.
      I've been searching the market to see if it could be possible to find one where I could fit the FC-E8 Fisheye on, so I also can use the new camera for my "FungOrama"-shots (www.in2.dk/svpan/) - But I can't find any.
      The new Nikon Coolpix S10 6mp might be the answer - anyone seen it for real and know if there is a lensthread underneath the square lensfront?
      Or anyone know of any other (brand) compact camera that will take the FC-E8 Fisheye?

      - Flemming

    • hmmsomethingelse
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2 5:46 AM
        > Or anyone know of any other (brand) compact camera that will take
        the FC-E8 Fisheye? Flemming

        Nikon coolpix 5000 5mp slow and complicated but last supported
        coolpix. Flip screen but doubt you would really see much quality
        advantage.

        Canon a95 5mp no autobracketing or advanced features but nice small
        compact 5mp camera, ask luc vascon for thoughts.

        Nikon coolpix 8400 8mp works with the right nikon adaptor tube.
        Unsuported but the best quality you will get. But they still sell
        second hand for a fair bit, but probably the best quality you can get
        out of a fc-e8

        I understood the fc-e9 fisheye came out in order to cover the larger
        sensors of newer cameras so I assume the fc-e8 can't work with most
        newer cameras, even if they have mounting threads, severe vignetting
        and such but I could be wrong. The 8400 presumably being an unusual
        throwback.
      • djfreddystapersma
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3 9:46 AM
          > Nikon coolpix 8400 8mp works with the right nikon adaptor tube.
          > Unsuported but the best quality you will get. But they still sell
          > second hand for a fair bit, but probably the best quality you can get
          > out of a fc-e8

          So you say a fc-e8 will work on the 8400??
          WOW cool..
          I've been looking online for info about other camera's that will fit
          my fc-e8 lens but never found that info.
          What tube do you need to use it? And what do you mean with
          unsupported??

          thnx for this info!
        • hmmsomethingelse
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3 11:03 AM
            > So you say a fc-e8 will work on the 8400??
            > What tube do you need to use it? And what do you mean with
            > unsupported??

            Um UR-E15 I think but anyway the one with a that fits the 8400 at one
            end and has a 28mm thread at the other.

            995's still go for around a hundred euros on ebay so you could trade
            up but then you wouldn't have a small camera any more.

            I notice right angle viewers like
            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=18002452894
            around. Perhaps you could use something similar with you d70 and
            peleng for low down shots?