Widescreens on the march

  • Carel Struycken
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 1, 2006
      I have been getting a trickle of email through my website from people
      who have widescreen LCDs. To avoid the amazing number of un-used bars
      many people are cluttering their browser-windows with, I was using a
      "chromeless" popup window to display fullscreen. But on a higher than
      1240x1024 resolution or a widescreen, that will give some ugly results.
      Yesterday, in an electronics/computer store, I noticed an alarming
      number of widescreen LCDs with very attractive pricing for sale.

      Fiero came to the rescue with a new version of detectvr.js
      IMHO, detectvr.js has now become the easiest way to place a panorama
      on your website, including Eolas work-around and plugin detection plus
      some more bells & whistles. I bet it is even faster than using a
      dynamic html scheme with database. Starting from a template, all I
      have to do is add the name of the .mov file and name the html page.
      http://www.devalvr.com/instalacion/detectvr.zip

      ¡¡Thanks Fiero!!

      Carel
    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 1, 2006
        Carel,

        I have no experience with this type of setup, but am VERY interested. Could
        you provide some more details of how you run your website, specific to VR's?
        When you say a template, are you referring to a generic html page that you
        just update with the name of the MOV then save as a new page?

        Thanks,

        Mark
        www.northernlight.net
        www.pinnacle-vr.com

      • Carel
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 1, 2006
          Mark D. Fink wrote:

          > Carel,
          >
          > I have no experience with this type of setup, but am VERY interested.
          > Could
          > you provide some more details of how you run your website, specific to
          > VR's?
          > When you say a template, are you referring to a generic html page that you
          > just update with the name of the MOV then save as a new page?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Mark
          > www.northernlight.net
          > www.pinnacle-vr.com

          Hi Mark,

          Yes, it is a simple template. The link *to* the page is a javascript link,
          that forces the popup window (not the main browser window!!) to full screen
          and chromeless. The template hardly has anything on it except a few lines of
          javascript and the name of the pano-file.

          Even better would be if the link to the page were normal and the sizing and
          chrome would be done by the pano-page, but I have not figured that out yet.
          Detectvr.js checks which plugins are available and serves the pano up in
          that format. There is also an option to let the user override the plugin
          preference, which leaves a cookie for future visits. At the moment I am not
          using that. For the javascript, which I only plan to use for real estate
          purposes, you would need to upload a downsized equirectangular, because of
          the ram limitations of java.

          Included in Fiero's zip file are some sample html pages.

          Carel
          Sent from the PanoToolsNG forum at Nabble.com.
        • wardnet2001
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 2, 2006

            http://www.nabble.com/Widescreens-on-the-march-tf2204358.html#a6107979
            > Sent from the PanoToolsNG forum at Nabble.com.

            Hi

            I'm interested in the detectvr as well and was wondering if anyone
            knows how to modify it to detect Immervision PurePlayer, a java
            solution which can go fullscreen.

            I dont understand how the code in the "detectvr.js" file works and
            experimented unsucessfully with this (to substitute PTViewer with
            PurePlayer):

            I replaced in the "panorama.html" sample the "testfileForJava.jpg"
            part with "ed_fest2006_dance.ivp" and placed the relevent ivp file in
            the folder.

            I replaced in the "detectvr.js" file, at line 178, the
            code="ptviewer.class" part with code="PurePlayer"
            and also archive="ptviewer.jar" with archive="PurePlayer.jar" and
            placed the "PurePlayer.jar" file in the folder.

            This is partly successful in that the PurePlayer applet does load but
            does not display the panorama, ie I get a white window above the
            PurePlayer controls.

            I suppose PurePlayer needs something else somewhere in "panorama.html"
            or "detectvr.js" to make it load. But what? This is way beyond my
            ability, any ideas?

            Bill
          • fierodeval
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 2, 2006
              Hi Bill,

              I don't know how to configure Immervision player, but I have seen some
              examples and maybe you must replace 'file' by 'panorama' in line 179:

              str+='<param name="panorama" value="'+javafile+'">';

              And if you use a custom gui you can add more parameters:

              str+='<param name="gui" value="your_gui.ivu">';

              regards
              fiero

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "wardnet2001" <bill.wardnet@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@> wrote:
              > >

              > > using that. For the javascript, which I only plan to use for real
              estate
              > > purposes, you would need to upload a downsized equirectangular,
              > because of
              > > the ram limitations of java.
              > >
              > > Included in Fiero's zip file are some sample html pages.
              > >
              > > Carel
              > > --
              > http://www.nabble.com/Widescreens-on-the-march-tf2204358.html#a6107979
              > > Sent from the PanoToolsNG forum at Nabble.com.
              > >
              > Hi
              >
              > I'm interested in the detectvr as well and was wondering if anyone
              > knows how to modify it to detect Immervision PurePlayer, a java
              > solution which can go fullscreen.
              >
              > I dont understand how the code in the "detectvr.js" file works and
              > experimented unsucessfully with this (to substitute PTViewer with
              > PurePlayer):
              >
              > I replaced in the "panorama.html" sample the "testfileForJava.jpg"
              > part with "ed_fest2006_dance.ivp" and placed the relevent ivp file in
              > the folder.
              >
              > I replaced in the "detectvr.js" file, at line 178, the
              > code="ptviewer.class" part with code="PurePlayer"
              > and also archive="ptviewer.jar" with archive="PurePlayer.jar" and
              > placed the "PurePlayer.jar" file in the folder.
              >
              > This is partly successful in that the PurePlayer applet does load but
              > does not display the panorama, ie I get a white window above the
              > PurePlayer controls.
              >
              > I suppose PurePlayer needs something else somewhere in "panorama.html"
              > or "detectvr.js" to make it load. But what? This is way beyond my
              > ability, any ideas?
              >
              > Bill

            • wardnet2001
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 2, 2006
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "fierodeval" <fierodeval@...> wrote:

                > Hi Bill,
                >
                > I don't know how to configure Immervision player, but I have seen some
                > examples and maybe you must replace 'file' by 'panorama' in line 179:
                >
                > str+='<param name="panorama" value="'+javafile+'">';
                >
                > And if you use a custom gui you can add more parameters:
                >
                > str+='<param name="gui" value="your_gui.ivu">';
                >

                > regards
                > fiero
                >

                > > Hi
                > >
                > > I'm interested in the detectvr as well and was wondering if anyone
                > > knows how to modify it to detect Immervision PurePlayer, a java
                > > solution which can go fullscreen.
                > >
                > > I dont understand how the code in the "detectvr.js" file works and
                > > experimented unsucessfully with this (to substitute PTViewer with
                > > PurePlayer):
                > >
                > > I replaced in the "panorama.html" sample the "testfileForJava.jpg"
                > > part with "ed_fest2006_dance.ivp" and placed the relevent ivp file in
                > > the folder.
                > >
                > > I replaced in the "detectvr.js" file, at line 178, the
                > > code="ptviewer.class" part with code="PurePlayer"
                > > and also archive="ptviewer.jar" with archive="PurePlayer.jar" and
                > > placed the "PurePlayer.jar" file in the folder.
                > >
                > > This is partly successful in that the PurePlayer applet does load but
                > > does not display the panorama, ie I get a white window above the
                > > PurePlayer controls.
                > >
                > > I suppose PurePlayer needs something else somewhere in "panorama.html"
                > > or "detectvr.js" to make it load. But what? This is way beyond my
                > > ability, any ideas?
                > >
                > > Bill

                Hi fiero

                Yes! That works. I've got it working here on my hard drive within
                your provided example. My next step is to get it working online.
                Fabulous, many thanks.

                Bill
              • wardnet2001
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 2, 2006
                  Hi fiero

                  Another question for you please. I would like to make java
                  (PurePlayer) the prefered option before QuickTime. So where do I
                  change this in the files?

                  Thanks again
                  Bill
                • fierodeval
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                    Hi,

                    Only change the order of lines 127 to 135:

                    if(javaInstalled && javafile) writeJAVA=1;
                    else if(pluginDevalVRInstalled && pluginQTInstalled)
                    {
                    if(makeDevalVRdefault) writeDevalVR=1;
                    else writeQT=1;
                    }
                    else if(pluginDevalVRInstalled) writeDevalVR=1;
                    else if(pluginQTInstalled) writeQT=1;
                    else writeInstall=1;

                    About the size of viewer, by default is 100% width and 94% height, but
                    it's possible to specify any size in writevrcode call in
                    panorama.html, for example:

                    writevrcode("testfileForQT.mov","testfileForJava.jpg","400","300");

                    wrote:

                    > Hi fiero
                    >
                    > Another question for you please. I would like to make java
                    > (PurePlayer) the prefered option before QuickTime. So where do I
                    > change this in the files?
                    >
                    > Thanks again
                    > Bill

                  • wardnet2001
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "fierodeval" <fierodeval@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > Only change the order of lines 127 to 135:
                      >
                      > if(javaInstalled && javafile) writeJAVA=1;
                      > else if(pluginDevalVRInstalled && pluginQTInstalled)
                      > {
                      > if(makeDevalVRdefault) writeDevalVR=1;
                      > else writeQT=1;
                      > }
                      > else if(pluginDevalVRInstalled) writeDevalVR=1;
                      > else if(pluginQTInstalled) writeQT=1;
                      > else writeInstall=1;
                      >

                      > About the size of viewer, by default is 100% width and 94% height, but
                      > it's possible to specify any size in writevrcode call in
                      > panorama.html, for example:
                      >
                      > writevrcode("testfileForQT.mov","testfileForJava.jpg","400","300");
                      >

                      > regards!
                      > fiero
                      >

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "wardnet2001" <bill.wardnet@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi fiero
                      > >
                      > > Another question for you please. I would like to make java
                      > > (PurePlayer) the prefered option before QuickTime. So where do I
                      > > change this in the files?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks again
                      > > Bill

                      Brilliant, thanks! I'll try this later. Meanwhile here's a test with
                      the standard order I worked out. Your js script is really good, first
                      it will try to open in DevalVR, 2nd choice is QuickTime, third is
                      PurePlayer, all fullscreen. I haven't had an opportunity to try a
                      large monitor yet, I think the size of the new popup "fullscreen"
                      window should be constrained to a size, an opportunity to try maybe
                      tomorrow. Thanks to this list and your own forum, and previous posts
                      by Carel. I'm sure the code (I've made) will be a little untidy.

                      http://www.billward.org/detectvr2/start5.html

                      Bill
                    • Darcy Veer
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                        Hi Fiero,

                        This is pretty cool. I'm not well versed in java script, but was able
                        to modify some of your HTML templates and use it with my own panos. I
                        also added the "Change Viewer" option to the page and it showed up
                        like a charm. The one thing I don't understand is how this actually
                        changes the chosen viewer. I have Quicktime installed on my computer,
                        but wanted to see how the java viewer was working. When I click on
                        the bubble next to java, nothing happens. What is the next step to
                        invoke the java player once the QT player is already displaying the
                        pano?

                        Thanks for sharing this BTW!!

                        Darcy Veer

                        On 9/3/06, wardnet2001 <bill.wardnet@...> wrote:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "fierodeval" <fierodeval@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi,
                        > >
                        > > Only change the order of lines 127 to 135:
                        > >
                        > > if(javaInstalled && javafile) writeJAVA=1;
                        > > else if(pluginDevalVRInstalled && pluginQTInstalled)
                        > > {
                        > > if(makeDevalVRdefault) writeDevalVR=1;
                        > > else writeQT=1;
                        > > }
                        > > else if(pluginDevalVRInstalled) writeDevalVR=1;
                        > > else if(pluginQTInstalled) writeQT=1;
                        > > else writeInstall=1;
                        > >

                        > > About the size of viewer, by default is 100% width and 94% height, but
                        > > it's possible to specify any size in writevrcode call in
                        > > panorama.html, for example:
                        > >
                        > > writevrcode("testfileForQT.mov","testfileForJava.jpg","400","300");
                        > >

                        > > regards!
                        > > fiero
                        > >

                        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "wardnet2001" <bill.wardnet@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi fiero
                        > > >
                        > > > Another question for you please. I would like to make java
                        > > > (PurePlayer) the prefered option before QuickTime. So where do I
                        > > > change this in the files?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks again
                        > > > Bill
                        > > >

                        > Brilliant, thanks! I'll try this later. Meanwhile here's a test with
                        > the standard order I worked out. Your js script is really good, first
                        > it will try to open in DevalVR, 2nd choice is QuickTime, third is
                        > PurePlayer, all fullscreen. I haven't had an opportunity to try a
                        > large monitor yet, I think the size of the new popup "fullscreen"
                        > window should be constrained to a size, an opportunity to try maybe
                        > tomorrow. Thanks to this list and your own forum, and previous posts
                        > by Carel. I'm sure the code (I've made) will be a little untidy.
                        >
                        > http://www.billward.org/detectvr2/start5.html
                        >
                        > Bill

                      • fierodeval
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                          Hi Darcy,

                          You must reload the page. If your panorama is in the same page than
                          viewer options, you can add a link to reload, for example:

                          <A href="javascript:window.location.reload()">click here to change
                          viewer</A>

                          Or, easier, you can add this line at the end of changeFavoriteViewer
                          function:

                          window.location.reload()

                          best regards
                          fiero

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Darcy Veer" <veerd1@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Fiero,
                          >
                          > This is pretty cool. I'm not well versed in java script, but was able
                          > to modify some of your HTML templates and use it with my own panos. I
                          > also added the "Change Viewer" option to the page and it showed up
                          > like a charm. The one thing I don't understand is how this actually
                          > changes the chosen viewer. I have Quicktime installed on my computer,
                          > but wanted to see how the java viewer was working. When I click on
                          > the bubble next to java, nothing happens. What is the next step to
                          > invoke the java player once the QT player is already displaying the
                          > pano?
                          >
                          > Thanks for sharing this BTW!!
                          >
                          > Darcy Veer

                        • Darcy Veer
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 3, 2006
                            Fiero,

                            Thanks for your reply! I don't mean for you to do my work for me, but
                            maybe you could take a look at this link and see what happens when you
                            try to change the viewer. I put the reload command in the js after
                            the changeFavoriteViewer option. It definitely reloads, but it
                            doesn't change it to the java viewer. Any ideas?

                            http://www.theveerfamily.com/detectvr/panoramamodified.html

                            Darcy Veer

                            On 9/3/06, fierodeval <fierodeval@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Darcy,
                            >
                            > You must reload the page. If your panorama is in the same page than
                            > viewer options, you can add a link to reload, for example:
                            >
                            > <A href="javascript:window.location.reload()">click here to change
                            > viewer</A>
                            >
                            > Or, easier, you can add this line at the end of changeFavoriteViewer
                            > function:
                            >
                            > window.location.reload()
                            >
                            > best regards
                            > fiero
                            >

                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Darcy Veer" <veerd1@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi Fiero,
                            > >
                            > > This is pretty cool. I'm not well versed in java script, but was able
                            > > to modify some of your HTML templates and use it with my own panos. I
                            > > also added the "Change Viewer" option to the page and it showed up
                            > > like a charm. The one thing I don't understand is how this actually
                            > > changes the chosen viewer. I have Quicktime installed on my computer,
                            > > but wanted to see how the java viewer was working. When I click on
                            > > the bubble next to java, nothing happens. What is the next step to
                            > > invoke the java player once the QT player is already displaying the
                            > > pano?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks for sharing this BTW!!
                            > >
                            > > Darcy Veer

                          • wardnet2001
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Darcy Veer" <veerd1@...> wrote:

                              > Fiero,
                              >
                              > Thanks for your reply! I don't mean for you to do my work for me, but
                              > maybe you could take a look at this link and see what happens when you
                              > try to change the viewer. I put the reload command in the js after
                              > the changeFavoriteViewer option. It definitely reloads, but it
                              > doesn't change it to the java viewer. Any ideas?
                              >
                              > http://www.theveerfamily.com/detectvr/panoramamodified.html
                              >
                              > Darcy Veer

                              Hi Darcy

                              A quick look at the source code of the page suggests to me that you
                              are trying to open "studio.jpg" with this. I think this should be
                              "studio.ivp" - you have to prepare a separate PurePlayer .ivp version
                              of your pano for the script to find.

                              Bill
                            • Darcy Veer
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006
                                Bill,

                                Thanks for looking at my page. I was actually trying to use the
                                ptviewer option. That's what I thought the default java player was
                                since the script is in the folder. Correct me if I'm wrong.

                                Darcy

                                On 9/4/06, wardnet2001 <bill.wardnet@...> wrote:

                                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Darcy Veer" <veerd1@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Fiero,
                                > >
                                > > Thanks for your reply! I don't mean for you to do my work for me, but
                                > > maybe you could take a look at this link and see what happens when you
                                > > try to change the viewer. I put the reload command in the js after
                                > > the changeFavoriteViewer option. It definitely reloads, but it
                                > > doesn't change it to the java viewer. Any ideas?
                                > >
                                > > http://www.theveerfamily.com/detectvr/panoramamodified.html
                                > >
                                > > Darcy Veer
                                > >
                                > Hi Darcy
                                >
                                > A quick look at the source code of the page suggests to me that you
                                > are trying to open "studio.jpg" with this. I think this should be
                                > "studio.ivp" - you have to prepare a separate PurePlayer .ivp version
                                > of your pano for the script to find.
                                >
                                > Bill

                              • wardnet2001
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006
                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Darcy Veer" <veerd1@...> wrote:

                                  > Bill,
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for looking at my page. I was actually trying to use the
                                  > ptviewer option. That's what I thought the default java player was
                                  > since the script is in the folder. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                                  >
                                  > Darcy

                                  My mistake, I replied too hastily. No idea of solution then from me,
                                  though I'm interested.

                                  Bill
                                • wardnet2001
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006
                                    wrote:

                                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Darcy Veer" <veerd1@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Bill,
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks for looking at my page. I was actually trying to use the
                                    > > ptviewer option. That's what I thought the default java player was
                                    > > since the script is in the folder. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                                    > >
                                    > > Darcy
                                    > >
                                    > My mistake, I replied too hastily. No idea of solution then from me,
                                    > though I'm interested.
                                    >
                                    > Bill

                                    Hi, me again

                                    I just downloaded Studiob.mov directly from your page and note that
                                    when I open it it is set to open as a fullscreen mov. Perhaps this is
                                    causing a problem? Also studio.jpg seems to be corrupted. Otherwise
                                    when I reconstruct your page on my hard drive with replacement files
                                    for the .mov and the .jpg it works, but without the change viewer
                                    radio buttons.

                                    Bill
                                  • wardnet2001
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006
                                      Hi Darcy

                                      I've just modified my previous posted link to achieve what I think you
                                      suggested.

                                      http://www.billward.org/detectvr2/start5.html

                                      Bill
                                    • Roger D. Williams
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006
                                        On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 05:04:02 +0900, wardnet2001
                                        <bill.wardnet@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Darcy
                                        >
                                        > I've just modified my previous posted link to achieve what I think you
                                        > suggested.
                                        >
                                        > http://www.billward.org/detectvr2/start5.html
                                        >
                                        > Bill

                                        Don't know if this is of interest, but although the site will detect and
                                        immediately use QuickTime, the DevalVR finder only looks for the
                                        plug-in. I have it installed as a viewer but it didn't find that.

                                        Roger W.

                                        --
                                        Work: www.adex-japan.com, Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                                      • Darcy Veer
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 5, 2006
                                          Thanks for all the help guys!! Unfortunately I still haven't gotten
                                          the java viewer to activate.

                                          Bill, I tried your link and yes, that is the idea I was thinking of,
                                          but I wasn't able to get the java player to load on your page either.
                                          It always chooses Quicktime. I thought it might be a Safari thing
                                          since I'm on a Mac, but I tried Firefox too and I get the same
                                          results. While I prefer Quicktime, I would love to see how the java
                                          viewer is working too. I guess I'll have to find a computer that
                                          doesn't have quicktime installed and see if the java player works.

                                          Darcy

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 5, 2006
                                            Hi Darcy,

                                            I uploaded a new modified version at
                                            http://www.devalvr.com/instalacion/detectvr.zip , download it again.
                                            Before only QT works in MacOS, now you can choose QT or Java.

                                            regards!
                                            fiero

                                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Darcy Veer" <veerd1@...> wrote:

                                            > Thanks for all the help guys!! Unfortunately I still haven't gotten
                                            > the java viewer to activate.
                                            >
                                            > Bill, I tried your link and yes, that is the idea I was thinking of,
                                            > but I wasn't able to get the java player to load on your page either.
                                            > It always chooses Quicktime. I thought it might be a Safari thing
                                            > since I'm on a Mac, but I tried Firefox too and I get the same
                                            > results. While I prefer Quicktime, I would love to see how the java
                                            > viewer is working too. I guess I'll have to find a computer that
                                            > doesn't have quicktime installed and see if the java player works.
                                            >
                                            > Darcy

                                          • Darcy Veer
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 6, 2006
                                              Hi Fiero!

                                              Hey, thanks!! Way to go!! This works in Firefox now. Just the way I
                                              was hoping it would work. It still doesn't work in Safari though. I
                                              don't want to sound ungrateful, but I figured since you are tweaking
                                              this thing you may want to know.

                                              Thanks so much for working on this and sharing it. This is how the
                                              whole community progresses in our art. I am very thankful!

                                              Darcy