AW: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Painting an Elephant, Pano

  • ptgroup
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 6, 2008
      Roger nice image,
      I like the point of view - makes children larger - elephnat to :-)
      ciao
      mike
      www.360de.de

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 6, 2008
        That low view with the children worked out nice, I didn't think it
        was going to when the children mover close to the camera trying to
        see the LCD view on it. But luckily with the wide FOV this Canon 5D
        and Nikkor 10.5mm lens has it worked out nicely.

        Here's a behind the scenes view
        http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/painting_rear4.html

        Cheers,
        Roger Berry

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 8, 2008
            Bruno,

            I am using 0.7 beta 3 from a ZIP file of prebuilt Windows binaries
            that was labeled 0.7 beta 4.... I'm not quite sure what that
            means. Do you think there's a better version that got lost somewhere?

            nathan

            At 05:13 AM 4/6/2008, you wrote:

            >On Sat 05-Apr-2008 at 23:30 -0400, Nate wrote:
            > >I know most of you are doing complex 360 degree panos, but I'm
            > >starting with stitching together a bunch of photos that cover maybe
            > >1/4 to 1/8 of the horizon. I've downloaded Hugin (for PC) and PTGUI
            > >(for Mac). PTGUI allowed me to stitch together a great pano with no
            > >troubles. Hugin asks for more information that I have.
            >
            >What version of hugin are you using?
            >
            >--
            >Bruno

          • Carel
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 8, 2008
              Roger Berry wrote:

              > That low view with the children worked out nice, I didn't think it
              > was going to when the children mover close to the camera trying to
              > see the LCD view on it. But luckily with the wide FOV this Canon 5D
              > and Nikkor 10.5mm lens has it worked out nicely.
              >
              > Here's a behind the scenes view
              > http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/painting_rear4.html
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Roger Berry

              Roger,

              Was the low one done with your home made upside down panohead/spike? From
              your kneeling position it looks like it might have been a horizontal pole.
              Here is a video of a painting elephant (sorry, I could not resist):
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He7Ge7Sogrk

              Carel
            • Bruno Postle
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 9, 2008
                On Tue 08-Apr-2008 at 21:48 -0400, Nate wrote:

                >I am using 0.7 beta 3 from a ZIP file of prebuilt Windows binaries
                >that was labeled 0.7 beta 4.... I'm not quite sure what that
                >means. Do you think there's a better version that got lost somewhere?

                You can download a much more recent hugin Windows _testers_
                pre-release from panospace.wordpress.com, but no version of hugin
                has a built-in lens database, so you may not find what you are
                looking for.

                --
                Bruno
              • Nate
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 9, 2008
                  Bruno,

                  Thanks for the continuing conversation. I will check out the tester's version.

                  I am not necessarily interested in the lens database. I mentioned it
                  since it looks like a clue as to how to get me through step 1 -
                  selecting the pictures and entering the mystery "HOV". I don't know
                  what I need to enter in that field. HOV is meaningless to me, and
                  there is no help for calculating it.

                  I thought the lens parameters would help with that, since one is
                  apparently able to select part of the lens database under some
                  circumstances. There is a grayed-out button on that dialog, after all.

                  Stemming from the big question "What do I enter for HOV", is "Why
                  does PTGUI get along without asking me such a question?" Does PTGUI
                  not care? Does PTGUI parse the EXIF data in my TIF files, while
                  Hugin does not?

                  nathan

                  At 12:32 PM 4/9/2008, you wrote:

                  >On Tue 08-Apr-2008 at 21:48 -0400, Nate wrote:
                  > >
                  > >I am using 0.7 beta 3 from a ZIP file of prebuilt Windows binaries
                  > >that was labeled 0.7 beta 4.... I'm not quite sure what that
                  > >means. Do you think there's a better version that got lost somewhere?
                  >
                  >You can download a much more recent hugin Windows _testers_
                  >pre-release from panospace.wordpress.com, but no version of hugin
                  >has a built-in lens database, so you may not find what you are
                  >looking for.
                • Bruno Postle
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 10, 2008
                    On Wed 09-Apr-2008 at 21:51 -0400, Nate wrote:

                    >I am not necessarily interested in the lens database. I mentioned it
                    >since it looks like a clue as to how to get me through step 1 -
                    >selecting the pictures and entering the mystery "HOV". I don't know
                    >what I need to enter in that field. HOV is meaningless to me, and
                    >there is no help for calculating it.

                    This is the horizontal angle of view, hugin can calculate it for you
                    as part of the optimisation process. Until then you can just enter
                    an approximation: pocket cameras have an angle of view of about
                    50°, a fisheye is unlikely to have an angle of view more than 180°.

                    http://wiki.panotools.org/Field_of_View

                    --
                    Bruno
                  • Nate
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 10, 2008
                      Fantastic, Bruno.

                      Given that easy trig calculation on the Panotools
                      wiki, I'm not sure why some of my images are
                      being problematic with the HFOV, since I believe
                      the focal length was in the EXIF data.

                      In any case, the new tester version of Hugin was
                      able to stitch together my DSLR photos with no
                      problem, and it looks great. Whatever was the
                      problem in the first place with 0.7 beta 3/4, the
                      newest version has figured it out (with my DSLR
                      photos at least). Now it's on to work on the pocket cameras panos!

                      thanks for your help,
                      nathan