Underwater panos

  • Trevor Curtis
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
      Hi all

      saw this and was fascinated................ http://www.refocus.de/work/underwater/

      anybody got ideas how its done?

      fotoengineering
    • Rick Drew
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
        Not that hard - I used to do U/W wide angle years ago. I used a 28mm on a
        Nikonos camera with a tripod. Used an extra weight belt to hold down the
        tripod and took the images. Back then it was manually assembling prints - no
        digital. You can do the same thing today with a dome port on a housing for
        any digital camera. Identical techniques to surface photography - you just
        need to really weight down the tripod and lots of testing for the Nodal
        Point.

        Rick Drew

      • Sebastian L.
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2008
          Hey,

          I could imagine they use a "normal" UW-housing and a robotic device,
          that dows the rest. Just a question of waterproof sealing the motors :)
          But I think this can be solved, as you can see on every RC-toy-boat.

          Greets
          S.

          Trevor Curtis schrieb:

          > Hi all
          >
          > saw this and was fascinated................
          > http://www.refocus.de/work/underwater/
          > <http://www.refocus.de/work/underwater/>
          >
          > anybody got ideas how its done?
          >
          > fotoengineering

        • Rick Drew
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2010
            I used to teach Scuba (for 20 years) but had to quit diving because of jaw
            problems. A friend started diving a couple of years ago and really took to
            underwater photography. For the past year, we've been playing with ideas
            for underwater panos. We took some test shots last week (well, he shot them,
            I stitched). Still need to do some work, but here's the first test..

            http://digitaldivemaster.com/tours/hague_quarry/diver_sculpture.htm

            Our intent is to shoot virtual tours of the major Chicago area shipwrecks!
            Just a fun project.

            Remember - this is the FIRST attempt.

            Rick Drew

          • David Boileau
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2010
              I like that... I've thinked of this kind of panos, but never done one.
              I have the needed underwater gear (fisheye) and software, so...

              Did you manage to have a fixed rotation point for taking the pictures ? (or
              reference point, or a pole ???) Or were the photos taken 100% freely ? It is
              very hard to rotate underwater without moving, even in a swimming pool...

              Thanks

              David

              ------------------------------------

              --
            • Rick Drew
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2010
                Right now we're taking down a tripod and anchoring it to the bottom.
                There's a jumbo-sized pano head attached to that. If we wanted, the same
                setup would work above water. For the next set we're bringing along a pouch
                full of stainless steel washers. These will be placed on the bottom and
                various points around the scene - the idea is to use them for alignment
                points. Currently it's taking about two hours per pano to set points - the
                junk floating around makes it impossible for points to be generated
                automatically.

                There's a photo of the setup here:

                http://digitaldivemaster.com/images/Underwater-Pano-Head2.jpg

                and