Re: enfuse - exif required?

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2 12:17 PM
      On Wednesday, April 02, 2008 at 10:33, paul womack wrote:

      > Does enfuse used EXIF information, specifically
      > exposure related (shutter speed, aperture, ISO)
      > to do its work, or does it simply deduce
      > such information from the relative
      > values of corresponding pixels?

      It doesn't need such information. It classifies pixels depending on
      the well-exposedness, the saturation or the relevant contrast. None
      of that is recorded in EXIF data...

      > I'm putting together some processing scripts,
      > and want to know wether I need to maintain
      > and propagate EXIF information as the images
      > go through stages of manipulation.

      You can use exiftool to read, evaluate and copy the EXIF info. Have a
      look at my batch file based enfuse droplets for examples:
      http://www.erik-krause.de/enfuse_droplets.zip

      best regards

    • paul womack
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7 1:24 AM
        BTW, as a "thankyou" to the enfuse developers,
        here's a photo I made using enfuse, that I think
        would have been very difficult otherwise:

        http://galootcentral.com/components/cpgalbums/userpics/10152/saw_teeth.jpg

        Here's the write up (aimed at a non photographic
        list, so denizens here may find it a bit glib)

        http://swingleydev.com/archive/get.php?message_id=178807#message

        BugBear
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 7 1:30 PM
          On Monday, April 07, 2008 at 9:24, paul womack wrote:

          > BTW, as a "thankyou" to the enfuse developers,
          > here's a photo I made using enfuse, that I think
          > would have been very difficult otherwise:
          >
          > http://galootcentral.com/components/cpgalbums/userpics/10152/saw_teeth.jpg

          Nice example! However, in a standard studio environment you would
          have used crossed polarizers (one in front of the lamp, one on the
          lens) to control reflection on the metal. And diffusors are good for
          general illumination...

          best regards
        • Rik Littlefield
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 8 8:40 AM
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@...>
            wrote:

            > On Monday, April 07, 2008 at 9:24, paul womack wrote:
            >
            > > BTW, as a "thankyou" to the enfuse developers,
            > > here's a photo I made using enfuse, that I think
            > > would have been very difficult otherwise:
            > >
            > > [long url deleted]
            >
            > Nice example! However, in a standard studio environment
            > you would have used crossed polarizers (one in front of
            > the lamp, one on the lens) to control reflection
            > on the metal. And diffusors are good for
            > general illumination...

            Erik,

            Crossed polarizers probably would not help with this subject.

            The difficulty is that all parts of the subject are metal, both light
            and dark. Crossed polarizers do cut the bright specular reflections,
            but the whole rest of the blade simply darkens to match. The paper
            background and whatever non-metallic paint or crud happens to be
            lying around gets brighter relative to the blade, but there's no
            change in the contrast ratio between dark metal and bright metal.

            I agree that careful diffusion would work well, but we often forget
            how tricky that can be to set up. I remember being very frustrated,
            40 years ago, when I first tried to get good pictures of a similar
            subject.

            Treating this as an HDR problem strikes me as a creative approach
            well worth considering.

            --Rik
          • paul womack
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 8 8:54 AM
              Rik Littlefield wrote:

              > Treating this as an HDR problem strikes me as a creative approach
              > well worth considering.

              Dunno about creative; HDR just struck me as an easy
              get out to murderous subject; I wasn't even careful
              with the location and positioning of the 4 lamps,
              relying on HDR (enfuse) to just "sort it out"
              which it did.

              BugBear
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 8 9:47 AM
                On Tuesday, April 08, 2008 at 15:40, Rik Littlefield wrote:

                > Crossed polarizers probably would not help with this subject.

                [...]

                > I agree that careful diffusion would work well, but we often forget
                > how tricky that can be to set up.

                I meant using crossed polarizers to control the direct reflection and
                do the over all lighting with a diffusor - best with a light tent
                (could be a white plastic bag in this case)...

                best regards