Re: [PanoToolsNG] Open source flash panorama viewer based on Papervision 3D

  • Scott Pruett
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
      Patrick -

      That looks fantastic! It's marginally sluggish, although still
      smooth... my hardware could be getting old too. :) Dual G5, 1.8ghz,
      2gb RAM, Firefox 2.

      Is this assembled fully inside of Flash & exported to a single .swf?

      best,
      Scott

      On Apr 1, 2008, at 11:07 PM, Patrick Cheatham wrote:

      > Hey there:
      >
      > Hope this finds a kindred spirit or two!
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/2xpqzo
      > or
      > http://flashpanos.com/content/open-source-flash-panorama-viewer-based-papervision-3d
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Patrick

    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
        I think I found perhaps why. Refreshing it brought it back to a normal frame
        rate.. But if you doubleclick or triple click a hotspot.. the transition can
        freak on you. Partially loading some faces, and bringing the frame rate to a
        crawl.

        Ff 9.0.115

        The load meter is also offset out of its box in fullscreen. All easy fixes I
        would assume.

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        http://www.seeit360.net

        404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Cheatham" <patrick@...> wrote:

          > Hey there:
          >
          > Hope this finds a kindred spirit or two!
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/2xpqzo
          > or
          > http://flashpanos.com/content/open-source-flash-panorama-viewer-based-
          papervision-3d

          What would the advantage be with this viewer compared to FPP,
          Do they have a Gui for it.
          Can you adjust settings for quality like you can in FPP?

          Quality and performance looks very similar to FPP.
          The panning is slightly stiff on my Mac 2.0, G5 Dualcore.
          And the second time I loaded it just freezed

          FPP performs just as good with the right settings
          This is segments 40, motionquality low in FPP
          http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F2.html

          It is smoother and has no wavy lines on any of my test machines.

          If you increase the quality to medium and decrease the segments you get no shimmer
          effect and there is still minimal wavy lines.
          This one has segments 35 and motionquality medium.
          http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F3.html

          This one performs very similar to your papervison example.

          Hans
        • Patrick Cheatham
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008

            > What would the advantage be with this viewer compared to FPP,
            > Do they have a Gui for it.
            > Can you adjust settings for quality like you can in FPP?
            >
            > Quality and performance looks very similar to FPP.
            > The panning is slightly stiff on my Mac 2.0, G5 Dualcore.
            > And the second time I loaded it just freezed
            >
            > FPP performs just as good with the right settings
            > This is segments 40, motionquality low in FPP
            > http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F2.html
            >
            > It is smoother and has no wavy lines on any of my test machines.
            >
            > If you increase the quality to medium and decrease the segments you get no shimmer
            > effect and there is still minimal wavy lines.
            > This one has segments 35 and motionquality medium.
            > http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F3.html
            >
            > This one performs very similar to your papervison example.

            Hi Hans:

            Read the post at flashpanos.com regarding shimmer and wavyness... :-) These are basically parameters,
            so can be set however you like.

            The main advantage to this viewer is that it is free, and freely extensible. Again, see the post at
            flashpanos.com regarding a GUI and interest in one.

            http://tinyurl.com/2xpqzo

            I think getting the basic toolset and functionality for the viewer done first, before embarking on a GUI
            for Joe User, is the way to go.

            Cheers,

            Patrick
          • Patrick Cheatham
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Pruett <stuff@...> wrote:

              > Patrick -
              >
              > That looks fantastic! It's marginally sluggish, although still
              > smooth... my hardware could be getting old too. :) Dual G5, 1.8ghz,
              > 2gb RAM, Firefox 2.
              >
              > Is this assembled fully inside of Flash & exported to a single .swf?
              >
              > best,
              > Scott

              Hey Scott!

              Cool!

              Right now, yes -- it's all compiled into one SWF, which loads in the images.

              We're working on some sort of external XML description... Trying to decide if an arbitrary
              set of elements/attributes is the way to go, or to simply wrap ActionScript in the XML and
              then eval it on the fly...

              Cheers,

              Patrick
            • Fabio Bustamante
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                Recently I stumbled upon another Papervision 3d player called krpano.
                It's not freeware or open source, but I think it's worth to take a look
                at this sample:

                http://www.krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/balkon/balkon.xml

                A pretty comprehensive options tab can be accessed through the small
                button at the upper right part of the screen. The most interesting thing
                is to enable the "showpolys" feature and play with the details setting.
                Now I understand exactly how does getting rid of those wavy lines can
                affect performance! :)

                Another interesting thing about this player is the "fisheye" parameter,
                that gradually applies a fisheye effect to the rendering (and showing
                the effect on the poly too, which is nice). Applying some fisheye effect
                to the scene adds some curves to originally straight lines, but its
                helps a lot to avoid those strong distortions at the borders of
                panoramas... I like it a lot!

                Fabio.

                Hans Nyberg wrote:
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Cheatham" <patrick@...> wrote:
                >

                >> Hey there:
                >>
                >> Hope this finds a kindred spirit or two!
                >>
                >> http://tinyurl.com/2xpqzo
                >> or
                >> http://flashpanos.com/content/open-source-flash-panorama-viewer-based-
                >>
                > papervision-3d
                >

                > What would the advantage be with this viewer compared to FPP,
                > Do they have a Gui for it.
                > Can you adjust settings for quality like you can in FPP?
                >
                > Quality and performance looks very similar to FPP.
                > The panning is slightly stiff on my Mac 2.0, G5 Dualcore.
                > And the second time I loaded it just freezed
                >
                > FPP performs just as good with the right settings
                > This is segments 40, motionquality low in FPP
                > http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F2.html
                >
                > It is smoother and has no wavy lines on any of my test machines.
                >
                > If you increase the quality to medium and decrease the segments you get no shimmer
                > effect and there is still minimal wavy lines.
                > This one has segments 35 and motionquality medium.
                > http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F3.html
                >
                > This one performs very similar to your papervison example.
                >
                > Hans
                >

                > ------------------------------------

              • johncharlesriley
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fabio Bustamante <contato@...> wrote:

                  > Recently I stumbled upon another Papervision 3d player called krpano.
                  > It's not freeware or open source, but I think it's worth to take a look
                  > at this sample:
                  >
                  > http://www.krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/balkon/balkon.xml
                  >
                  > A pretty comprehensive options tab can be accessed through the small
                  > button at the upper right part of the screen. The most interesting thing
                  > is to enable the "showpolys" feature and play with the details setting.
                  > Now I understand exactly how does getting rid of those wavy lines can
                  > affect performance! :)
                  >
                  > Another interesting thing about this player is the "fisheye" parameter,
                  > that gradually applies a fisheye effect to the rendering (and showing
                  > the effect on the poly too, which is nice). Applying some fisheye effect
                  > to the scene adds some curves to originally straight lines, but its
                  > helps a lot to avoid those strong distortions at the borders of
                  > panoramas... I like it a lot!
                  >
                  > Fabio.

                  This player is very slick after taking a quick look. The most exciting thing I saw was that it
                  does multi-resolution panoramas!! Like the old Zoomify plugin for QuickTime, but no
                  extra plugin download, no QuickTime requirement. You can zoom waaaaaay in on some
                  of their examples and it only downloads at the resolution needed for the current FOV.
                  Gigapixels here we come!

                  Where did this come from and why haven't we heard about it before?

                  John
                • AYRTON
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                    On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 2:31 PM, johncharlesriley <johnriley@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fabio Bustamante <contato@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > http://www.krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/balkon/balkon.xml
                    > >

                    > The most exciting thing I saw was that it
                    > does multi-resolution panoramas!!You can zoom waaaaaay in on some

                    of their examples and it only downloads at the resolution needed for the
                    > current FOV.
                    > Gigapixels here we come!

                    I could not make it work .... when I zoom in, it gets out of focus ....
                    no bytes being transfered to me !?!?

                    Where did this come from and why haven't we heard about it before?

                    yeah, since it's very very nice :-)

                    AYRTON

                    > John

                    ------------
                    | A Y R |
                    | T O N |
                    ------------

                    + 55 21 9982 6313

                    http://ayrton360.com
                    http://rio.360cities.net
                    http://vrfolio.com
                    http://ayrton.com

                  • Hans Nyberg
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fabio Bustamante <contato@...> wrote:

                      > Recently I stumbled upon another Papervision 3d player called krpano.
                      > It's not freeware or open source, but I think it's worth to take a look
                      > at this sample:
                      >
                      > http://www.krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/balkon/balkon.xml
                      >
                      > A pretty comprehensive options tab can be accessed through the small
                      > button at the upper right part of the screen. The most interesting thing
                      > is to enable the "showpolys" feature and play with the details setting.
                      > Now I understand exactly how does getting rid of those wavy lines can
                      > affect performance! :)

                      Did you not know about the editor for FPP:
                      http://flashpanoramas.com/blog/2007/05/28/editor-plugin-v10-beta/
                      Its in your plugins. Just ad it in the xml and you can edit the parameters on the fly for any of
                      your panoramas

                      Hans
                    • Klaus Hilsenbeck
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                        > AYRTON and johncharlesriley wrote:

                        >> Recently ... another Papervision 3d player called krpano.

                        > Where did this come from and why haven't we heard about it before?

                        'Cause it's very, very new.
                        First time I heard about (and saw first examples) was,
                        when it was announced to the German Panorama-Community-Forum 2 weeks
                        ago, followed by an ongoing thread....
                        [ http://tinyurl.com/5dz47h ]
                        and (afaik), it comes from Austria (see contact-page):
                        [ http://www.krpano.com/ ]

                        Klaus

                        [http://www.panocanarias.com]