Re: [PanoToolsNG] enfuse - exif required?

  • Huy Hoang
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2008
      doesn't seem to, when I extract different exposures from a RAW file, I didn't set Ufraw to extract the EXIF. Enfuse has no problem blending them (Hugin does ask for manual input of len information when I feed it those files). I read somewhere that the algorithm is different from other tone-mapping software because Enfuse doesn't try to recreate the original scene.

      --huy

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2008
        Sometime around 2/4/08 (at 10:33 +0100) paul womack said:

        >I'm putting together some processing scripts,
        >and want to know wether I need to maintain
        >and propagate EXIF information as the images
        >go through stages of manipulation.

        Whether or not this is required, it would be worth considering
        storing some of the basic info anyway. There's far more than just
        exposure data to be considered, and it can still be helpful to be
        able to filter (in Adobe Bridge, for example) for things such as ISO,
        shooting date, camera, lens, etc.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2008
          On Wednesday, April 02, 2008 at 10:33, paul womack wrote:

          > Does enfuse used EXIF information, specifically
          > exposure related (shutter speed, aperture, ISO)
          > to do its work, or does it simply deduce
          > such information from the relative
          > values of corresponding pixels?

          It doesn't need such information. It classifies pixels depending on
          the well-exposedness, the saturation or the relevant contrast. None
          of that is recorded in EXIF data...

          > I'm putting together some processing scripts,
          > and want to know wether I need to maintain
          > and propagate EXIF information as the images
          > go through stages of manipulation.

          You can use exiftool to read, evaluate and copy the EXIF info. Have a
          look at my batch file based enfuse droplets for examples:
          http://www.erik-krause.de/enfuse_droplets.zip

          best regards

        • paul womack
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 7, 2008
            BTW, as a "thankyou" to the enfuse developers,
            here's a photo I made using enfuse, that I think
            would have been very difficult otherwise:

            http://galootcentral.com/components/cpgalbums/userpics/10152/saw_teeth.jpg

            Here's the write up (aimed at a non photographic
            list, so denizens here may find it a bit glib)

            http://swingleydev.com/archive/get.php?message_id=178807#message

            BugBear
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 7, 2008
              On Monday, April 07, 2008 at 9:24, paul womack wrote:

              > BTW, as a "thankyou" to the enfuse developers,
              > here's a photo I made using enfuse, that I think
              > would have been very difficult otherwise:
              >
              > http://galootcentral.com/components/cpgalbums/userpics/10152/saw_teeth.jpg

              Nice example! However, in a standard studio environment you would
              have used crossed polarizers (one in front of the lamp, one on the
              lens) to control reflection on the metal. And diffusors are good for
              general illumination...

              best regards
            • Rik Littlefield
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 8, 2008
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@...>
                wrote:

                > On Monday, April 07, 2008 at 9:24, paul womack wrote:
                >
                > > BTW, as a "thankyou" to the enfuse developers,
                > > here's a photo I made using enfuse, that I think
                > > would have been very difficult otherwise:
                > >
                > > [long url deleted]
                >
                > Nice example! However, in a standard studio environment
                > you would have used crossed polarizers (one in front of
                > the lamp, one on the lens) to control reflection
                > on the metal. And diffusors are good for
                > general illumination...

                Erik,

                Crossed polarizers probably would not help with this subject.

                The difficulty is that all parts of the subject are metal, both light
                and dark. Crossed polarizers do cut the bright specular reflections,
                but the whole rest of the blade simply darkens to match. The paper
                background and whatever non-metallic paint or crud happens to be
                lying around gets brighter relative to the blade, but there's no
                change in the contrast ratio between dark metal and bright metal.

                I agree that careful diffusion would work well, but we often forget
                how tricky that can be to set up. I remember being very frustrated,
                40 years ago, when I first tried to get good pictures of a similar
                subject.

                Treating this as an HDR problem strikes me as a creative approach
                well worth considering.

                --Rik
              • paul womack
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 8, 2008
                  Rik Littlefield wrote:

                  > Treating this as an HDR problem strikes me as a creative approach
                  > well worth considering.

                  Dunno about creative; HDR just struck me as an easy
                  get out to murderous subject; I wasn't even careful
                  with the location and positioning of the 4 lamps,
                  relying on HDR (enfuse) to just "sort it out"
                  which it did.

                  BugBear
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 8, 2008
                    On Tuesday, April 08, 2008 at 15:40, Rik Littlefield wrote:

                    > Crossed polarizers probably would not help with this subject.

                    [...]

                    > I agree that careful diffusion would work well, but we often forget
                    > how tricky that can be to set up.

                    I meant using crossed polarizers to control the direct reflection and
                    do the over all lighting with a diffusor - best with a light tent
                    (could be a white plastic bag in this case)...

                    best regards