Re: [PanoToolsNG] Open source flash panorama viewer based on Papervision 3D

  • AYRTON
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
      Patrick
      Congratulations !!!

      Perfect here
      MAC :-)
      duo core 2
      2 gb ram
      hotspot perfectly working
      transition is very nice and smmoth
      FPS = 25 :-)))))

      I'm gonna go take a try too
      Thanks

      AYRTON

      On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Sacha Griffin <
      sachagriffin@...> wrote:

      > That's interesting. I didn't notice any distortion to speak of.
      >
      > The hotspots aren't responding always accurately on my end. But that
      > probably is just a configuration mishap. Same on the cube loader, click
      > and
      > lockup for a time and then nothing.
      >
      > The transitions are kinda sludgey, a little more so than fpp.
      >
      > The only major thing was a transition failure, it appeared.. semi
      > transparent faces over other faces and faces from another view completely
      > loaded.
      >
      > So except for the transitions it seemed pretty good.
      >

      > Built in graphics on a core 2 duo, 2gb, = 9fps
      >
      > Probably a little too slow for primetime, thinking about the average, or
      > lowest common denominator. At least for now.
      >

      > Sacha Griffin
      >
      > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
      >
      > http://www.southern-digital.com
      >
      > http://www.seeit360.net
      >
      > 404-551-4275

      ------------
      | A Y R |
      | T O N |
      ------------

      + 55 21 9982 6313

      http://ayrton360.com
      http://rio.360cities.net
      http://vrfolio.com
      http://ayrton.com

    • Patrick Cheatham
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
        > The only major thing was a transition failure, it appeared.. semi
        > transparent faces over other faces and faces from another view completely
        > loaded.
        >
        > So except for the transitions it seemed pretty good.
        >

        > Built in graphics on a core 2 duo, 2gb, = 9fps
        >
        > Probably a little too slow for primetime, thinking about the average, or
        > lowest common denominator. At least for now.

        Yah Sacha, I'm surprised at the low frame rate... Well, this is your chance to upgrade both hw
        and sw!... :=P One way costs you money, the other just a little sweat equity. I look forward to
        it! :)

        Cheers,

        Patrick
      • Scott Pruett
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
          Patrick -

          That looks fantastic! It's marginally sluggish, although still
          smooth... my hardware could be getting old too. :) Dual G5, 1.8ghz,
          2gb RAM, Firefox 2.

          Is this assembled fully inside of Flash & exported to a single .swf?

          best,
          Scott

          On Apr 1, 2008, at 11:07 PM, Patrick Cheatham wrote:

          > Hey there:
          >
          > Hope this finds a kindred spirit or two!
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/2xpqzo
          > or
          > http://flashpanos.com/content/open-source-flash-panorama-viewer-based-papervision-3d
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Patrick

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
            I think I found perhaps why. Refreshing it brought it back to a normal frame
            rate.. But if you doubleclick or triple click a hotspot.. the transition can
            freak on you. Partially loading some faces, and bringing the frame rate to a
            crawl.

            Ff 9.0.115

            The load meter is also offset out of its box in fullscreen. All easy fixes I
            would assume.

            Sacha Griffin

            Southern Digital Solutions LLC

            http://www.southern-digital.com

            http://www.seeit360.net

            404-551-4275

            > The only major thing was a transition failure, it appeared.. semi
            > transparent faces over other faces and faces from another view completely
            > loaded.
            >
            > So except for the transitions it seemed pretty good.
            >

            > Built in graphics on a core 2 duo, 2gb, = 9fps
            >
            > Probably a little too slow for primetime, thinking about the average, or
            > lowest common denominator. At least for now.

            Yah Sacha, I'm surprised at the low frame rate... Well, this is your chance
            to upgrade both hw
            and sw!... :=P One way costs you money, the other just a little sweat
            equity. I look forward to
            it! :)

            Cheers,

            Patrick

          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Cheatham" <patrick@...> wrote:

              > Hey there:
              >
              > Hope this finds a kindred spirit or two!
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/2xpqzo
              > or
              > http://flashpanos.com/content/open-source-flash-panorama-viewer-based-
              papervision-3d

              What would the advantage be with this viewer compared to FPP,
              Do they have a Gui for it.
              Can you adjust settings for quality like you can in FPP?

              Quality and performance looks very similar to FPP.
              The panning is slightly stiff on my Mac 2.0, G5 Dualcore.
              And the second time I loaded it just freezed

              FPP performs just as good with the right settings
              This is segments 40, motionquality low in FPP
              http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F2.html

              It is smoother and has no wavy lines on any of my test machines.

              If you increase the quality to medium and decrease the segments you get no shimmer
              effect and there is still minimal wavy lines.
              This one has segments 35 and motionquality medium.
              http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F3.html

              This one performs very similar to your papervison example.

              Hans
            • Patrick Cheatham
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008

                > What would the advantage be with this viewer compared to FPP,
                > Do they have a Gui for it.
                > Can you adjust settings for quality like you can in FPP?
                >
                > Quality and performance looks very similar to FPP.
                > The panning is slightly stiff on my Mac 2.0, G5 Dualcore.
                > And the second time I loaded it just freezed
                >
                > FPP performs just as good with the right settings
                > This is segments 40, motionquality low in FPP
                > http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F2.html
                >
                > It is smoother and has no wavy lines on any of my test machines.
                >
                > If you increase the quality to medium and decrease the segments you get no shimmer
                > effect and there is still minimal wavy lines.
                > This one has segments 35 and motionquality medium.
                > http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F3.html
                >
                > This one performs very similar to your papervison example.

                Hi Hans:

                Read the post at flashpanos.com regarding shimmer and wavyness... :-) These are basically parameters,
                so can be set however you like.

                The main advantage to this viewer is that it is free, and freely extensible. Again, see the post at
                flashpanos.com regarding a GUI and interest in one.

                http://tinyurl.com/2xpqzo

                I think getting the basic toolset and functionality for the viewer done first, before embarking on a GUI
                for Joe User, is the way to go.

                Cheers,

                Patrick
              • Patrick Cheatham
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Pruett <stuff@...> wrote:

                  > Patrick -
                  >
                  > That looks fantastic! It's marginally sluggish, although still
                  > smooth... my hardware could be getting old too. :) Dual G5, 1.8ghz,
                  > 2gb RAM, Firefox 2.
                  >
                  > Is this assembled fully inside of Flash & exported to a single .swf?
                  >
                  > best,
                  > Scott

                  Hey Scott!

                  Cool!

                  Right now, yes -- it's all compiled into one SWF, which loads in the images.

                  We're working on some sort of external XML description... Trying to decide if an arbitrary
                  set of elements/attributes is the way to go, or to simply wrap ActionScript in the XML and
                  then eval it on the fly...

                  Cheers,

                  Patrick
                • Fabio Bustamante
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                    Recently I stumbled upon another Papervision 3d player called krpano.
                    It's not freeware or open source, but I think it's worth to take a look
                    at this sample:

                    http://www.krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/balkon/balkon.xml

                    A pretty comprehensive options tab can be accessed through the small
                    button at the upper right part of the screen. The most interesting thing
                    is to enable the "showpolys" feature and play with the details setting.
                    Now I understand exactly how does getting rid of those wavy lines can
                    affect performance! :)

                    Another interesting thing about this player is the "fisheye" parameter,
                    that gradually applies a fisheye effect to the rendering (and showing
                    the effect on the poly too, which is nice). Applying some fisheye effect
                    to the scene adds some curves to originally straight lines, but its
                    helps a lot to avoid those strong distortions at the borders of
                    panoramas... I like it a lot!

                    Fabio.

                    Hans Nyberg wrote:
                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Cheatham" <patrick@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> Hey there:
                    >>
                    >> Hope this finds a kindred spirit or two!
                    >>
                    >> http://tinyurl.com/2xpqzo
                    >> or
                    >> http://flashpanos.com/content/open-source-flash-panorama-viewer-based-
                    >>
                    > papervision-3d
                    >

                    > What would the advantage be with this viewer compared to FPP,
                    > Do they have a Gui for it.
                    > Can you adjust settings for quality like you can in FPP?
                    >
                    > Quality and performance looks very similar to FPP.
                    > The panning is slightly stiff on my Mac 2.0, G5 Dualcore.
                    > And the second time I loaded it just freezed
                    >
                    > FPP performs just as good with the right settings
                    > This is segments 40, motionquality low in FPP
                    > http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F2.html
                    >
                    > It is smoother and has no wavy lines on any of my test machines.
                    >
                    > If you increase the quality to medium and decrease the segments you get no shimmer
                    > effect and there is still minimal wavy lines.
                    > This one has segments 35 and motionquality medium.
                    > http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F3.html
                    >
                    > This one performs very similar to your papervison example.
                    >
                    > Hans
                    >

                    > ------------------------------------

                  • johncharlesriley
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fabio Bustamante <contato@...> wrote:

                      > Recently I stumbled upon another Papervision 3d player called krpano.
                      > It's not freeware or open source, but I think it's worth to take a look
                      > at this sample:
                      >
                      > http://www.krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/balkon/balkon.xml
                      >
                      > A pretty comprehensive options tab can be accessed through the small
                      > button at the upper right part of the screen. The most interesting thing
                      > is to enable the "showpolys" feature and play with the details setting.
                      > Now I understand exactly how does getting rid of those wavy lines can
                      > affect performance! :)
                      >
                      > Another interesting thing about this player is the "fisheye" parameter,
                      > that gradually applies a fisheye effect to the rendering (and showing
                      > the effect on the poly too, which is nice). Applying some fisheye effect
                      > to the scene adds some curves to originally straight lines, but its
                      > helps a lot to avoid those strong distortions at the borders of
                      > panoramas... I like it a lot!
                      >
                      > Fabio.

                      This player is very slick after taking a quick look. The most exciting thing I saw was that it
                      does multi-resolution panoramas!! Like the old Zoomify plugin for QuickTime, but no
                      extra plugin download, no QuickTime requirement. You can zoom waaaaaay in on some
                      of their examples and it only downloads at the resolution needed for the current FOV.
                      Gigapixels here we come!

                      Where did this come from and why haven't we heard about it before?

                      John
                    • AYRTON
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                        On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 2:31 PM, johncharlesriley <johnriley@...>
                        wrote:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fabio Bustamante <contato@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > http://www.krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/balkon/balkon.xml
                        > >

                        > The most exciting thing I saw was that it
                        > does multi-resolution panoramas!!You can zoom waaaaaay in on some

                        of their examples and it only downloads at the resolution needed for the
                        > current FOV.
                        > Gigapixels here we come!

                        I could not make it work .... when I zoom in, it gets out of focus ....
                        no bytes being transfered to me !?!?

                        Where did this come from and why haven't we heard about it before?

                        yeah, since it's very very nice :-)

                        AYRTON

                        > John

                        ------------
                        | A Y R |
                        | T O N |
                        ------------

                        + 55 21 9982 6313

                        http://ayrton360.com
                        http://rio.360cities.net
                        http://vrfolio.com
                        http://ayrton.com

                      • Hans Nyberg
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fabio Bustamante <contato@...> wrote:

                          > Recently I stumbled upon another Papervision 3d player called krpano.
                          > It's not freeware or open source, but I think it's worth to take a look
                          > at this sample:
                          >
                          > http://www.krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/balkon/balkon.xml
                          >
                          > A pretty comprehensive options tab can be accessed through the small
                          > button at the upper right part of the screen. The most interesting thing
                          > is to enable the "showpolys" feature and play with the details setting.
                          > Now I understand exactly how does getting rid of those wavy lines can
                          > affect performance! :)

                          Did you not know about the editor for FPP:
                          http://flashpanoramas.com/blog/2007/05/28/editor-plugin-v10-beta/
                          Its in your plugins. Just ad it in the xml and you can edit the parameters on the fly for any of
                          your panoramas

                          Hans
                        • Klaus Hilsenbeck
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                            > AYRTON and johncharlesriley wrote:

                            >> Recently ... another Papervision 3d player called krpano.

                            > Where did this come from and why haven't we heard about it before?

                            'Cause it's very, very new.
                            First time I heard about (and saw first examples) was,
                            when it was announced to the German Panorama-Community-Forum 2 weeks
                            ago, followed by an ongoing thread....
                            [ http://tinyurl.com/5dz47h ]
                            and (afaik), it comes from Austria (see contact-page):
                            [ http://www.krpano.com/ ]

                            Klaus

                            [http://www.panocanarias.com]