Open source flash panorama viewer based on Papervision 3D

  • Patrick Cheatham
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
        That's interesting. I didn't notice any distortion to speak of.

        The hotspots aren't responding always accurately on my end. But that
        probably is just a configuration mishap. Same on the cube loader, click and
        lockup for a time and then nothing.

        The transitions are kinda sludgey, a little more so than fpp.

        The only major thing was a transition failure, it appeared.. semi
        transparent faces over other faces and faces from another view completely
        loaded.

        So except for the transitions it seemed pretty good.

        Built in graphics on a core 2 duo, 2gb, = 9fps

        Probably a little too slow for primetime, thinking about the average, or
        lowest common denominator. At least for now.

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        http://www.seeit360.net

        404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
          Patrick
          Congratulations !!!

          Perfect here
          MAC :-)
          duo core 2
          2 gb ram
          hotspot perfectly working
          transition is very nice and smmoth
          FPS = 25 :-)))))

          I'm gonna go take a try too
          Thanks

          AYRTON

          On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Sacha Griffin <
          sachagriffin@...> wrote:

          > That's interesting. I didn't notice any distortion to speak of.
          >
          > The hotspots aren't responding always accurately on my end. But that
          > probably is just a configuration mishap. Same on the cube loader, click
          > and
          > lockup for a time and then nothing.
          >
          > The transitions are kinda sludgey, a little more so than fpp.
          >
          > The only major thing was a transition failure, it appeared.. semi
          > transparent faces over other faces and faces from another view completely
          > loaded.
          >
          > So except for the transitions it seemed pretty good.
          >

          > Built in graphics on a core 2 duo, 2gb, = 9fps
          >
          > Probably a little too slow for primetime, thinking about the average, or
          > lowest common denominator. At least for now.
          >

          > Sacha Griffin
          >
          > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
          >
          > http://www.southern-digital.com
          >
          > http://www.seeit360.net
          >
          > 404-551-4275

          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
          ------------

          + 55 21 9982 6313

          http://ayrton360.com
          http://rio.360cities.net
          http://vrfolio.com
          http://ayrton.com

        • Patrick Cheatham
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
            > The only major thing was a transition failure, it appeared.. semi
            > transparent faces over other faces and faces from another view completely
            > loaded.
            >
            > So except for the transitions it seemed pretty good.
            >

            > Built in graphics on a core 2 duo, 2gb, = 9fps
            >
            > Probably a little too slow for primetime, thinking about the average, or
            > lowest common denominator. At least for now.

            Yah Sacha, I'm surprised at the low frame rate... Well, this is your chance to upgrade both hw
            and sw!... :=P One way costs you money, the other just a little sweat equity. I look forward to
            it! :)

            Cheers,

            Patrick
          • Scott Pruett
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
              Patrick -

              That looks fantastic! It's marginally sluggish, although still
              smooth... my hardware could be getting old too. :) Dual G5, 1.8ghz,
              2gb RAM, Firefox 2.

              Is this assembled fully inside of Flash & exported to a single .swf?

              best,
              Scott

              On Apr 1, 2008, at 11:07 PM, Patrick Cheatham wrote:

              > Hey there:
              >
              > Hope this finds a kindred spirit or two!
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/2xpqzo
              > or
              > http://flashpanos.com/content/open-source-flash-panorama-viewer-based-papervision-3d
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Patrick

            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
                I think I found perhaps why. Refreshing it brought it back to a normal frame
                rate.. But if you doubleclick or triple click a hotspot.. the transition can
                freak on you. Partially loading some faces, and bringing the frame rate to a
                crawl.

                Ff 9.0.115

                The load meter is also offset out of its box in fullscreen. All easy fixes I
                would assume.

                Sacha Griffin

                Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                http://www.southern-digital.com

                http://www.seeit360.net

                404-551-4275

                > The only major thing was a transition failure, it appeared.. semi
                > transparent faces over other faces and faces from another view completely
                > loaded.
                >
                > So except for the transitions it seemed pretty good.
                >

                > Built in graphics on a core 2 duo, 2gb, = 9fps
                >
                > Probably a little too slow for primetime, thinking about the average, or
                > lowest common denominator. At least for now.

                Yah Sacha, I'm surprised at the low frame rate... Well, this is your chance
                to upgrade both hw
                and sw!... :=P One way costs you money, the other just a little sweat
                equity. I look forward to
                it! :)

                Cheers,

                Patrick

              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Cheatham" <patrick@...> wrote:

                  > Hey there:
                  >
                  > Hope this finds a kindred spirit or two!
                  >
                  > http://tinyurl.com/2xpqzo
                  > or
                  > http://flashpanos.com/content/open-source-flash-panorama-viewer-based-
                  papervision-3d

                  What would the advantage be with this viewer compared to FPP,
                  Do they have a Gui for it.
                  Can you adjust settings for quality like you can in FPP?

                  Quality and performance looks very similar to FPP.
                  The panning is slightly stiff on my Mac 2.0, G5 Dualcore.
                  And the second time I loaded it just freezed

                  FPP performs just as good with the right settings
                  This is segments 40, motionquality low in FPP
                  http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F2.html

                  It is smoother and has no wavy lines on any of my test machines.

                  If you increase the quality to medium and decrease the segments you get no shimmer
                  effect and there is still minimal wavy lines.
                  This one has segments 35 and motionquality medium.
                  http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F3.html

                  This one performs very similar to your papervison example.

                  Hans
                • Patrick Cheatham
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008

                    > What would the advantage be with this viewer compared to FPP,
                    > Do they have a Gui for it.
                    > Can you adjust settings for quality like you can in FPP?
                    >
                    > Quality and performance looks very similar to FPP.
                    > The panning is slightly stiff on my Mac 2.0, G5 Dualcore.
                    > And the second time I loaded it just freezed
                    >
                    > FPP performs just as good with the right settings
                    > This is segments 40, motionquality low in FPP
                    > http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F2.html
                    >
                    > It is smoother and has no wavy lines on any of my test machines.
                    >
                    > If you increase the quality to medium and decrease the segments you get no shimmer
                    > effect and there is still minimal wavy lines.
                    > This one has segments 35 and motionquality medium.
                    > http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F3.html
                    >
                    > This one performs very similar to your papervison example.

                    Hi Hans:

                    Read the post at flashpanos.com regarding shimmer and wavyness... :-) These are basically parameters,
                    so can be set however you like.

                    The main advantage to this viewer is that it is free, and freely extensible. Again, see the post at
                    flashpanos.com regarding a GUI and interest in one.

                    http://tinyurl.com/2xpqzo

                    I think getting the basic toolset and functionality for the viewer done first, before embarking on a GUI
                    for Joe User, is the way to go.

                    Cheers,

                    Patrick
                  • Patrick Cheatham
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Pruett <stuff@...> wrote:

                      > Patrick -
                      >
                      > That looks fantastic! It's marginally sluggish, although still
                      > smooth... my hardware could be getting old too. :) Dual G5, 1.8ghz,
                      > 2gb RAM, Firefox 2.
                      >
                      > Is this assembled fully inside of Flash & exported to a single .swf?
                      >
                      > best,
                      > Scott

                      Hey Scott!

                      Cool!

                      Right now, yes -- it's all compiled into one SWF, which loads in the images.

                      We're working on some sort of external XML description... Trying to decide if an arbitrary
                      set of elements/attributes is the way to go, or to simply wrap ActionScript in the XML and
                      then eval it on the fly...

                      Cheers,

                      Patrick
                    • Fabio Bustamante
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                        Recently I stumbled upon another Papervision 3d player called krpano.
                        It's not freeware or open source, but I think it's worth to take a look
                        at this sample:

                        http://www.krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/balkon/balkon.xml

                        A pretty comprehensive options tab can be accessed through the small
                        button at the upper right part of the screen. The most interesting thing
                        is to enable the "showpolys" feature and play with the details setting.
                        Now I understand exactly how does getting rid of those wavy lines can
                        affect performance! :)

                        Another interesting thing about this player is the "fisheye" parameter,
                        that gradually applies a fisheye effect to the rendering (and showing
                        the effect on the poly too, which is nice). Applying some fisheye effect
                        to the scene adds some curves to originally straight lines, but its
                        helps a lot to avoid those strong distortions at the borders of
                        panoramas... I like it a lot!

                        Fabio.

                        Hans Nyberg wrote:
                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Cheatham" <patrick@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >> Hey there:
                        >>
                        >> Hope this finds a kindred spirit or two!
                        >>
                        >> http://tinyurl.com/2xpqzo
                        >> or
                        >> http://flashpanos.com/content/open-source-flash-panorama-viewer-based-
                        >>
                        > papervision-3d
                        >

                        > What would the advantage be with this viewer compared to FPP,
                        > Do they have a Gui for it.
                        > Can you adjust settings for quality like you can in FPP?
                        >
                        > Quality and performance looks very similar to FPP.
                        > The panning is slightly stiff on my Mac 2.0, G5 Dualcore.
                        > And the second time I loaded it just freezed
                        >
                        > FPP performs just as good with the right settings
                        > This is segments 40, motionquality low in FPP
                        > http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F2.html
                        >
                        > It is smoother and has no wavy lines on any of my test machines.
                        >
                        > If you increase the quality to medium and decrease the segments you get no shimmer
                        > effect and there is still minimal wavy lines.
                        > This one has segments 35 and motionquality medium.
                        > http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/flash/tower-bridge-F3.html
                        >
                        > This one performs very similar to your papervison example.
                        >
                        > Hans
                        >

                        > ------------------------------------

                      • johncharlesriley
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fabio Bustamante <contato@...> wrote:

                          > Recently I stumbled upon another Papervision 3d player called krpano.
                          > It's not freeware or open source, but I think it's worth to take a look
                          > at this sample:
                          >
                          > http://www.krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/balkon/balkon.xml
                          >
                          > A pretty comprehensive options tab can be accessed through the small
                          > button at the upper right part of the screen. The most interesting thing
                          > is to enable the "showpolys" feature and play with the details setting.
                          > Now I understand exactly how does getting rid of those wavy lines can
                          > affect performance! :)
                          >
                          > Another interesting thing about this player is the "fisheye" parameter,
                          > that gradually applies a fisheye effect to the rendering (and showing
                          > the effect on the poly too, which is nice). Applying some fisheye effect
                          > to the scene adds some curves to originally straight lines, but its
                          > helps a lot to avoid those strong distortions at the borders of
                          > panoramas... I like it a lot!
                          >
                          > Fabio.

                          This player is very slick after taking a quick look. The most exciting thing I saw was that it
                          does multi-resolution panoramas!! Like the old Zoomify plugin for QuickTime, but no
                          extra plugin download, no QuickTime requirement. You can zoom waaaaaay in on some
                          of their examples and it only downloads at the resolution needed for the current FOV.
                          Gigapixels here we come!

                          Where did this come from and why haven't we heard about it before?

                          John
                        • AYRTON
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                            On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 2:31 PM, johncharlesriley <johnriley@...>
                            wrote:

                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fabio Bustamante <contato@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > http://www.krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/balkon/balkon.xml
                            > >

                            > The most exciting thing I saw was that it
                            > does multi-resolution panoramas!!You can zoom waaaaaay in on some

                            of their examples and it only downloads at the resolution needed for the
                            > current FOV.
                            > Gigapixels here we come!

                            I could not make it work .... when I zoom in, it gets out of focus ....
                            no bytes being transfered to me !?!?

                            Where did this come from and why haven't we heard about it before?

                            yeah, since it's very very nice :-)

                            AYRTON

                            > John

                            ------------
                            | A Y R |
                            | T O N |
                            ------------

                            + 55 21 9982 6313

                            http://ayrton360.com
                            http://rio.360cities.net
                            http://vrfolio.com
                            http://ayrton.com

                          • Hans Nyberg
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fabio Bustamante <contato@...> wrote:

                              > Recently I stumbled upon another Papervision 3d player called krpano.
                              > It's not freeware or open source, but I think it's worth to take a look
                              > at this sample:
                              >
                              > http://www.krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/balkon/balkon.xml
                              >
                              > A pretty comprehensive options tab can be accessed through the small
                              > button at the upper right part of the screen. The most interesting thing
                              > is to enable the "showpolys" feature and play with the details setting.
                              > Now I understand exactly how does getting rid of those wavy lines can
                              > affect performance! :)

                              Did you not know about the editor for FPP:
                              http://flashpanoramas.com/blog/2007/05/28/editor-plugin-v10-beta/
                              Its in your plugins. Just ad it in the xml and you can edit the parameters on the fly for any of
                              your panoramas

                              Hans
                            • Klaus Hilsenbeck
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                                > AYRTON and johncharlesriley wrote:

                                >> Recently ... another Papervision 3d player called krpano.

                                > Where did this come from and why haven't we heard about it before?

                                'Cause it's very, very new.
                                First time I heard about (and saw first examples) was,
                                when it was announced to the German Panorama-Community-Forum 2 weeks
                                ago, followed by an ongoing thread....
                                [ http://tinyurl.com/5dz47h ]
                                and (afaik), it comes from Austria (see contact-page):
                                [ http://www.krpano.com/ ]

                                Klaus

                                [http://www.panocanarias.com]