Re: error message "Not Enough RAM" to run Panotool plugin for PS

    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
      On Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 22:23, dalileis wrote:

      > It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
      > one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
      > to be.
      >
      > It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.
      >
      > Start using this NOW.

      Would you write a short description for the wiki? Or a tutorial if
      possible? I'd very much like to include it in the zenith and nadir
      editing overview...

      best regards
    • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
        This could be your answer...(the memory size one being the more important
        point)

        Quoted from the website:
        ------------------------
        Known issues:
        - The plugins don't work with float images. I will be able to support float
        as soon as FilterMeister does.
        - Running the plugins eat a lot of memory, about three times as much as the
        images themselves. On my 3Gb machine I hit the roof at 10000 pixel float
        images. Other users with 2Gb of RAM have been able to convert maximum 6000
        pixel images. I am looking into this, but since there's little memory
        managment I can do I'm afraid that this also is a limitation of
        FilterMeister.
        ------------------------

        Often I also prefer to use a rectilinear view for the nadir; especially if
        looking at a regular patterned surface. (eg. Tiles, floorboards, etc.)

        Cheers,
        Darren.

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
          On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, dalileis <dalileis@...> wrote:

          > For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
          > app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:

          Because most professionals use MAC :-)
          And this is windows only.

          > http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php
          >
          > It's superb.
          >
          > Does not interrupt your 16 bit workflow, in other words it works
          > splendidly in 16bit.
          >
          > It gives you options to rotate and preview nadir/zenith before the
          > actual convertion takes place.
          >
          > It's fast. It uses Photoshop standard interpolators.
          >
          > It is itself Photoshop plugin, no need to go outside Photoshop.
          >
          > It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
          > one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
          > to be.
          >
          > It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.
          >
          > Start using this NOW.
          >
          > Highly recommended, as they say on Dpreview.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Dalileis

          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
          ------------

          + 55 21 9982 6313

          http://ayrton360.com
          http://rio.360cities.net
          http://vrfolio.com
          http://ayrton.com

        • Daley
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
            ha, you real funny there. i got 4 cats, 3 dogs here though. Mostly
            lost their way. some cats stay for few month didn't make it(old),
            some stay n run away but come back later. Some newcomer. I just let
            them in n out. One happy family!

            Sure will look your templating http://www.seeit360.net/panotools.

            Tq everyone, great detail, explanation. The more i learn , the more
            i don't know.

            Daley.

            > BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my
            lettuce sprouts.
            > Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?
            >

            > Sacha Griffin
            >
            > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
            >
            > http://www.southern-digital.com
            >
            > http://www.seeit360.net
            >
            > 404-551-4275

          • Pat Swovelin
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
              On 4/1/2008 7:00 PM, AYRTON's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
              typed ...:
              > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, dalileis <dalileis@...> wrote:
              >
              >> For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
              >> app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
              >

              > Because most professionals use MAC :-)

              "Professionals," no matter what OS they use, know that platform wars are
              unnecessarily divisive and not productive to intelligently discussing
              issues.

              > And this is windows only.

              Pat Swovelin
              Cool Guy @ Large
            • Pat Swovelin
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                On 4/1/2008 11:11 AM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                and typed ...:
                > Yes, if it works at your memory limit, the plugins are great. I used them
                > before I learned templating and could still use them since I've gone
                > to a 5d
                > w 10.5.
                >
                > However, both methods should be in ones toolkit, and they are both tricky
                > and eccentric the first time. Without using a template, it IS a giant
                > hassle
                > and a lot of extra clicks. I've found that proper editing of a 360
                > panorama
                > is one of the least understood phases for those just introduced. Its
                > important to know how to do it, without relying on cubic
                > convertor/panocube
                > and potentially other steps/programs that may degrade the quality that
                > were
                > never meant for this purpose.
                >
                > The good thing about panotools gui's method, is that it always works no
                > matter how many thousands of dollars you didn't spend on your computer.
                >

                > Unfortunately, I bounce around a lot. My workflow goes
                >
                > Firefox (Pandora music)
                >
                > Photoshop raw
                >
                > Enfuse
                >
                > Ptgui
                >
                > FSPViewer
                >
                > Ptgui (n or z extract)
                >
                > Photoshop
                >
                > Ptgui (n or z insert)
                >
                > FSPViewer
                >
                > Photoshop
                >
                > FSPViewer

                Instead of bouncing out to FSPViewer (as good as it is) you can send the
                equirect directly to DevalVR from within Photoshop without having to
                save it as a .TIF first. It's *really* slick.

                > Pano2vr droplet via a sendto shortcut for fpp cubefaces
                >
                > Notetab
                >
                > Ws_ftp
                >
                > Firefox (Preview)
                >

                > BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my lettuce
                > sprouts.
                > Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?

                No but you can call Homeland Security to get rid of him. "Save the
                sprouts! Save the sprouts!" should be your rallying cry. =8^)

                Pat Swovelin
                Cool Guy @ Large
              • Keith Martin
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                  Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 22:23 +0000) dalileis said:

                  >For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                  >app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                  >
                  >http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php

                  Two good reasons.

                  One, this is the first time I've heard of it.
                  And two, these Photoshop plugins are Windows only, gosh-darn it!

                • Geoff Mather
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                    It also works within Paint Shop Pro XI (No reason why earlier versions
                    won't work either) as well simply save the files into the PlugIns
                    folder and your away.

                    Geoff
                  • Rune Spaans
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 16, 2008

                      > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 22:23 +0000) dalileis said:
                      >
                      > >For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                      > >app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                      > >
                      > >http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php
                      >
                      > Two good reasons.
                      >
                      > One, this is the first time I've heard of it.
                      > And two, these Photoshop plugins are Windows only, gosh-darn it!

                      I hope to have native Photoshop Windows and Mac version of these
                      plugins released in a year. We finally got a Mac here in the house,
                      and I am looking at the Photoshop SDK in my spare time. That will lead
                      to a faster and more memory efficient plugin as well :)

                      Rune