Re: error message "Not Enough RAM" to run Panotool plugin for PS

    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1 1:33 PM
      On Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 17:26, Daley wrote:

      > ok, now that i have extracted partial view from equirectangular,
      > that's fine. thanks. but my handheld nadir shoot still in fisheye
      > format, what tool to defish it so that can patch the partial view ?

      What program did you use to stitch the equirectangular? I assume it
      was from the panotools family: hugin, PTGui, PTMac, PTAssembler
      should be all more or less the same.

      Extracting a floor partial view is great if you want to edit the
      tripod hole directly f.e. by doubling floor tiles or cloning other
      regular structures. If you want to insert a fisheye shot into an
      rectilinear image the best way is to stitch them. You need to fix the
      rectilinear view of course by not allowing to optimize any parameter
      (FoV must be set manually, yaw, roll and pitch as well as lens
      correction a, b and c all stay 0.0) The fisheye view needs
      individual lens paramters, you must allow for the optimization of all
      paramters to get a good fit.

      However, it is not necessary if you want to insert a nadir shot into
      a spherical panorama. You can simply add it to your original project.
      There is a short tutorial (with screenshots from an outdated PTGui
      version - but as said above, any of the GUIs should do):
      http://wiki.panotools.org/Stitching_Nadir_Shots
      A discussion of different nadir editing techniques is found on
      http://wiki.panotools.org/Zenith_and_Nadir_editing_overview

      best regards
    • dalileis
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1 3:23 PM
        For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
        app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:

        http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php

        It's superb.

        Does not interrupt your 16 bit workflow, in other words it works
        splendidly in 16bit.

        It gives you options to rotate and preview nadir/zenith before the
        actual convertion takes place.

        It's fast. It uses Photoshop standard interpolators.

        It is itself Photoshop plugin, no need to go outside Photoshop.

        It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
        one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
        to be.

        It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.

        Start using this NOW.

        Highly recommended, as they say on Dpreview.

        Regards,

        Dalileis
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1 4:31 PM
          On Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 22:23, dalileis wrote:

          > It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
          > one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
          > to be.
          >
          > It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.
          >
          > Start using this NOW.

          Would you write a short description for the wiki? Or a tutorial if
          possible? I'd very much like to include it in the zenith and nadir
          editing overview...

          best regards
        • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1 5:02 PM
            This could be your answer...(the memory size one being the more important
            point)

            Quoted from the website:
            ------------------------
            Known issues:
            - The plugins don't work with float images. I will be able to support float
            as soon as FilterMeister does.
            - Running the plugins eat a lot of memory, about three times as much as the
            images themselves. On my 3Gb machine I hit the roof at 10000 pixel float
            images. Other users with 2Gb of RAM have been able to convert maximum 6000
            pixel images. I am looking into this, but since there's little memory
            managment I can do I'm afraid that this also is a limitation of
            FilterMeister.
            ------------------------

            Often I also prefer to use a rectilinear view for the nadir; especially if
            looking at a regular patterned surface. (eg. Tiles, floorboards, etc.)

            Cheers,
            Darren.

            )
[...]
          • AYRTON
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1 7:00 PM
              On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, dalileis <dalileis@...> wrote:

              > For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
              > app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:

              Because most professionals use MAC :-)
              And this is windows only.

              > http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php
              >
              > It's superb.
              >
              > Does not interrupt your 16 bit workflow, in other words it works
              > splendidly in 16bit.
              >
              > It gives you options to rotate and preview nadir/zenith before the
              > actual convertion takes place.
              >
              > It's fast. It uses Photoshop standard interpolators.
              >
              > It is itself Photoshop plugin, no need to go outside Photoshop.
              >
              > It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
              > one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
              > to be.
              >
              > It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.
              >
              > Start using this NOW.
              >
              > Highly recommended, as they say on Dpreview.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Dalileis

              ------------
              | A Y R |
              | T O N |
              ------------

              + 55 21 9982 6313

              http://ayrton360.com
              http://rio.360cities.net
              http://vrfolio.com
              http://ayrton.com

            • Daley
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1 8:45 PM
                ha, you real funny there. i got 4 cats, 3 dogs here though. Mostly
                lost their way. some cats stay for few month didn't make it(old),
                some stay n run away but come back later. Some newcomer. I just let
                them in n out. One happy family!

                Sure will look your templating http://www.seeit360.net/panotools.

                Tq everyone, great detail, explanation. The more i learn , the more
                i don't know.

                Daley.

                > BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my
                lettuce sprouts.
                > Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?
                >

                > Sacha Griffin
                >
                > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                >
                > http://www.southern-digital.com
                >
                > http://www.seeit360.net
                >
                > 404-551-4275

              • Pat Swovelin
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1 8:53 PM
                  On 4/1/2008 7:00 PM, AYRTON's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                  typed ...:
                  > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, dalileis <dalileis@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                  >> app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                  >

                  > Because most professionals use MAC :-)

                  "Professionals," no matter what OS they use, know that platform wars are
                  unnecessarily divisive and not productive to intelligently discussing
                  issues.

                  > And this is windows only.

                  Pat Swovelin
                  Cool Guy @ Large
                • Pat Swovelin
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 1 11:24 PM
                    On 4/1/2008 11:11 AM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                    and typed ...:
                    > Yes, if it works at your memory limit, the plugins are great. I used them
                    > before I learned templating and could still use them since I've gone
                    > to a 5d
                    > w 10.5.
                    >
                    > However, both methods should be in ones toolkit, and they are both tricky
                    > and eccentric the first time. Without using a template, it IS a giant
                    > hassle
                    > and a lot of extra clicks. I've found that proper editing of a 360
                    > panorama
                    > is one of the least understood phases for those just introduced. Its
                    > important to know how to do it, without relying on cubic
                    > convertor/panocube
                    > and potentially other steps/programs that may degrade the quality that
                    > were
                    > never meant for this purpose.
                    >
                    > The good thing about panotools gui's method, is that it always works no
                    > matter how many thousands of dollars you didn't spend on your computer.
                    >

                    > Unfortunately, I bounce around a lot. My workflow goes
                    >
                    > Firefox (Pandora music)
                    >
                    > Photoshop raw
                    >
                    > Enfuse
                    >
                    > Ptgui
                    >
                    > FSPViewer
                    >
                    > Ptgui (n or z extract)
                    >
                    > Photoshop
                    >
                    > Ptgui (n or z insert)
                    >
                    > FSPViewer
                    >
                    > Photoshop
                    >
                    > FSPViewer

                    Instead of bouncing out to FSPViewer (as good as it is) you can send the
                    equirect directly to DevalVR from within Photoshop without having to
                    save it as a .TIF first. It's *really* slick.

                    > Pano2vr droplet via a sendto shortcut for fpp cubefaces
                    >
                    > Notetab
                    >
                    > Ws_ftp
                    >
                    > Firefox (Preview)
                    >

                    > BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my lettuce
                    > sprouts.
                    > Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?

                    No but you can call Homeland Security to get rid of him. "Save the
                    sprouts! Save the sprouts!" should be your rallying cry. =8^)

                    Pat Swovelin
                    Cool Guy @ Large
                  • Keith Martin
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2 1:53 AM
                      Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 22:23 +0000) dalileis said:

                      >For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                      >app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                      >
                      >http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php

                      Two good reasons.

                      One, this is the first time I've heard of it.
                      And two, these Photoshop plugins are Windows only, gosh-darn it!

                    • Geoff Mather
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 2 4:42 AM
                        It also works within Paint Shop Pro XI (No reason why earlier versions
                        won't work either) as well simply save the files into the PlugIns
                        folder and your away.

                        Geoff
                      • Rune Spaans
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 16, 2008

                          > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 22:23 +0000) dalileis said:
                          >
                          > >For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                          > >app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                          > >
                          > >http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php
                          >
                          > Two good reasons.
                          >
                          > One, this is the first time I've heard of it.
                          > And two, these Photoshop plugins are Windows only, gosh-darn it!

                          I hope to have native Photoshop Windows and Mac version of these
                          plugins released in a year. We finally got a Mac here in the house,
                          and I am looking at the Photoshop SDK in my spare time. That will lead
                          to a faster and more memory efficient plugin as well :)

                          Rune