RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: error message "Not Enough RAM" to run Panotool plugin for PS

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
      Yes, if it works at your memory limit, the plugins are great. I used them
      before I learned templating and could still use them since I've gone to a 5d
      w 10.5.

      However, both methods should be in ones toolkit, and they are both tricky
      and eccentric the first time. Without using a template, it IS a giant hassle
      and a lot of extra clicks. I've found that proper editing of a 360 panorama
      is one of the least understood phases for those just introduced. Its
      important to know how to do it, without relying on cubic convertor/panocube
      and potentially other steps/programs that may degrade the quality that were
      never meant for this purpose.

      The good thing about panotools gui's method, is that it always works no
      matter how many thousands of dollars you didn't spend on your computer.

      Unfortunately, I bounce around a lot. My workflow goes

      Firefox (Pandora music)

      Photoshop raw

      Enfuse

      Ptgui

      FSPViewer

      Ptgui (n or z extract)

      Photoshop

      Ptgui (n or z insert)

      FSPViewer

      Photoshop

      FSPViewer

      Pano2vr droplet via a sendto shortcut for fpp cubefaces

      Notetab

      Ws_ftp

      Firefox (Preview)

      BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my lettuce sprouts.
      Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?

      Sacha Griffin

      Southern Digital Solutions LLC

      http://www.southern-digital.com

      http://www.seeit360.net

      404-551-4275

      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
        On Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 17:26, Daley wrote:

        > ok, now that i have extracted partial view from equirectangular,
        > that's fine. thanks. but my handheld nadir shoot still in fisheye
        > format, what tool to defish it so that can patch the partial view ?

        What program did you use to stitch the equirectangular? I assume it
        was from the panotools family: hugin, PTGui, PTMac, PTAssembler
        should be all more or less the same.

        Extracting a floor partial view is great if you want to edit the
        tripod hole directly f.e. by doubling floor tiles or cloning other
        regular structures. If you want to insert a fisheye shot into an
        rectilinear image the best way is to stitch them. You need to fix the
        rectilinear view of course by not allowing to optimize any parameter
        (FoV must be set manually, yaw, roll and pitch as well as lens
        correction a, b and c all stay 0.0) The fisheye view needs
        individual lens paramters, you must allow for the optimization of all
        paramters to get a good fit.

        However, it is not necessary if you want to insert a nadir shot into
        a spherical panorama. You can simply add it to your original project.
        There is a short tutorial (with screenshots from an outdated PTGui
        version - but as said above, any of the GUIs should do):
        http://wiki.panotools.org/Stitching_Nadir_Shots
        A discussion of different nadir editing techniques is found on
        http://wiki.panotools.org/Zenith_and_Nadir_editing_overview

        best regards
      • dalileis
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
          For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
          app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:

          http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php

          It's superb.

          Does not interrupt your 16 bit workflow, in other words it works
          splendidly in 16bit.

          It gives you options to rotate and preview nadir/zenith before the
          actual convertion takes place.

          It's fast. It uses Photoshop standard interpolators.

          It is itself Photoshop plugin, no need to go outside Photoshop.

          It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
          one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
          to be.

          It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.

          Start using this NOW.

          Highly recommended, as they say on Dpreview.

          Regards,

          Dalileis
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
            On Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 22:23, dalileis wrote:

            > It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
            > one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
            > to be.
            >
            > It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.
            >
            > Start using this NOW.

            Would you write a short description for the wiki? Or a tutorial if
            possible? I'd very much like to include it in the zenith and nadir
            editing overview...

            best regards
          • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
              This could be your answer...(the memory size one being the more important
              point)

              Quoted from the website:
              ------------------------
              Known issues:
              - The plugins don't work with float images. I will be able to support float
              as soon as FilterMeister does.
              - Running the plugins eat a lot of memory, about three times as much as the
              images themselves. On my 3Gb machine I hit the roof at 10000 pixel float
              images. Other users with 2Gb of RAM have been able to convert maximum 6000
              pixel images. I am looking into this, but since there's little memory
              managment I can do I'm afraid that this also is a limitation of
              FilterMeister.
              ------------------------

              Often I also prefer to use a rectilinear view for the nadir; especially if
              looking at a regular patterned surface. (eg. Tiles, floorboards, etc.)

              Cheers,
              Darren.

              )
[...]
            • AYRTON
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, dalileis <dalileis@...> wrote:

                > For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                > app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:

                Because most professionals use MAC :-)
                And this is windows only.

                > http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php
                >
                > It's superb.
                >
                > Does not interrupt your 16 bit workflow, in other words it works
                > splendidly in 16bit.
                >
                > It gives you options to rotate and preview nadir/zenith before the
                > actual convertion takes place.
                >
                > It's fast. It uses Photoshop standard interpolators.
                >
                > It is itself Photoshop plugin, no need to go outside Photoshop.
                >
                > It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
                > one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
                > to be.
                >
                > It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.
                >
                > Start using this NOW.
                >
                > Highly recommended, as they say on Dpreview.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Dalileis

                ------------
                | A Y R |
                | T O N |
                ------------

                + 55 21 9982 6313

                http://ayrton360.com
                http://rio.360cities.net
                http://vrfolio.com
                http://ayrton.com

              • Daley
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                  ha, you real funny there. i got 4 cats, 3 dogs here though. Mostly
                  lost their way. some cats stay for few month didn't make it(old),
                  some stay n run away but come back later. Some newcomer. I just let
                  them in n out. One happy family!

                  Sure will look your templating http://www.seeit360.net/panotools.

                  Tq everyone, great detail, explanation. The more i learn , the more
                  i don't know.

                  Daley.

                  > BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my
                  lettuce sprouts.
                  > Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?
                  >

                  > Sacha Griffin
                  >
                  > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                  >
                  > http://www.southern-digital.com
                  >
                  > http://www.seeit360.net
                  >
                  > 404-551-4275

                • Pat Swovelin
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                    On 4/1/2008 7:00 PM, AYRTON's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                    typed ...:
                    > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, dalileis <dalileis@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                    >> app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                    >

                    > Because most professionals use MAC :-)

                    "Professionals," no matter what OS they use, know that platform wars are
                    unnecessarily divisive and not productive to intelligently discussing
                    issues.

                    > And this is windows only.

                    Pat Swovelin
                    Cool Guy @ Large
                  • Pat Swovelin
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                      On 4/1/2008 11:11 AM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                      and typed ...:
                      > Yes, if it works at your memory limit, the plugins are great. I used them
                      > before I learned templating and could still use them since I've gone
                      > to a 5d
                      > w 10.5.
                      >
                      > However, both methods should be in ones toolkit, and they are both tricky
                      > and eccentric the first time. Without using a template, it IS a giant
                      > hassle
                      > and a lot of extra clicks. I've found that proper editing of a 360
                      > panorama
                      > is one of the least understood phases for those just introduced. Its
                      > important to know how to do it, without relying on cubic
                      > convertor/panocube
                      > and potentially other steps/programs that may degrade the quality that
                      > were
                      > never meant for this purpose.
                      >
                      > The good thing about panotools gui's method, is that it always works no
                      > matter how many thousands of dollars you didn't spend on your computer.
                      >

                      > Unfortunately, I bounce around a lot. My workflow goes
                      >
                      > Firefox (Pandora music)
                      >
                      > Photoshop raw
                      >
                      > Enfuse
                      >
                      > Ptgui
                      >
                      > FSPViewer
                      >
                      > Ptgui (n or z extract)
                      >
                      > Photoshop
                      >
                      > Ptgui (n or z insert)
                      >
                      > FSPViewer
                      >
                      > Photoshop
                      >
                      > FSPViewer

                      Instead of bouncing out to FSPViewer (as good as it is) you can send the
                      equirect directly to DevalVR from within Photoshop without having to
                      save it as a .TIF first. It's *really* slick.

                      > Pano2vr droplet via a sendto shortcut for fpp cubefaces
                      >
                      > Notetab
                      >
                      > Ws_ftp
                      >
                      > Firefox (Preview)
                      >

                      > BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my lettuce
                      > sprouts.
                      > Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?

                      No but you can call Homeland Security to get rid of him. "Save the
                      sprouts! Save the sprouts!" should be your rallying cry. =8^)

                      Pat Swovelin
                      Cool Guy @ Large
                    • Keith Martin
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                        Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 22:23 +0000) dalileis said:

                        >For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                        >app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                        >
                        >http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php

                        Two good reasons.

                        One, this is the first time I've heard of it.
                        And two, these Photoshop plugins are Windows only, gosh-darn it!

                      • Geoff Mather
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                          It also works within Paint Shop Pro XI (No reason why earlier versions
                          won't work either) as well simply save the files into the PlugIns
                          folder and your away.

                          Geoff
                        • Rune Spaans
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 16, 2008

                            > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 22:23 +0000) dalileis said:
                            >
                            > >For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                            > >app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                            > >
                            > >http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php
                            >
                            > Two good reasons.
                            >
                            > One, this is the first time I've heard of it.
                            > And two, these Photoshop plugins are Windows only, gosh-darn it!

                            I hope to have native Photoshop Windows and Mac version of these
                            plugins released in a year. We finally got a Mac here in the house,
                            and I am looking at the Photoshop SDK in my spare time. That will lead
                            to a faster and more memory efficient plugin as well :)

                            Rune