Re: error message "Not Enough RAM" to run Panotool plugin for PS

  • Daley
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1 10:26 AM
      hi guys,

      thanks for those info, link , wiki website etc...these few days I
      read like crazy, bouncing between those pano websites until my head
      like flying off.

      Good news ,I managed to solve the RAM problem. Those having same
      error before can follow below step :

      1. fire up PS, notice the plugin name "Panoramic tool"

      2. download latest ver plugin

      3. download latest ver panolib http://photocreations.ca/panotools/
      *Note : chosoe faster ver

      4. install them, run panoinfo , make sure panolib ver 2.8.0

      5. restart ps, now plugin name change to "epaperless"

      6. run plugin. viola** it run !

      ok, now that i have extracted partial view from equirectangular,
      that's fine. thanks. but my handheld nadir shoot still in fisheye
      format, what tool to defish it so that can patch the partial view ?
      Thanks.

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...>
      wrote:

      > On 3/28/2008 5:23 PM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the
      keyboard
      > and typed ...:
      > > The best method, is not to use this plugin at all. Surely, you
      own ptgui,
      > > ptmac, or use hugin.
      > >
      > > I also have the same memory, and there is no work around, except
      for
      > > reducing the resolution of your image.
      > >

      > > Any function done in the plugin can be replicated using the
      aforementioned
      > > programs, in a quicker, faster, and easier to understand
      fashion, and
      > > without memory limitations.
      >
      > Extacting the zenith and/or nadir in PTGui forces you to bounce
      back and
      > forth between PTGui and Photoshop (i.e., output the pano in PTGui,
      open
      > it in PS, do any post production clean up, save the file, open it
      in
      > PTGui, extract the Z/N, open the Z/N in PS and fix it, save the
      file,
      > reinsert it in PTGui), output a final pano. Whereas if you use
      PTAdjust
      > you can output the pano in PTGui, open it in PS, do any post
      production
      > clean up, extract theZ/N, fix it, reinsert it, save the file and
      you're
      > done. I prefer to use PTGui to generate the pano and PS to
      finalize
      > it. Then I'm only in each program once and I'm off to Pano2VR to
      > generate the final .MOVs and .SWFs. It's a lot easier than
      bouncing
      > back and forth between 2 programs.
      >
      > > If you need help on a particular transformation, there are many
      people
      > > here
      > > who can help.
      > >

      > > Sacha Griffin
      > >
      > > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
      > >
      > > http://www.southern-digital.com
      > >
      > > http://www.seeit360.net
    • ptgroup
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1 11:07 AM
        Hm - my plugin never changed name, it stays the same
        "epaperless" sound weird I know epaperpress, that is where PTLens comes
        from.
        But I never had such RAM problems as you mentioned.
        Ciao
        Mike
        www.360de.de

        ----------------------------------

        -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

        wrote:

        > On 3/28/2008 5:23 PM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the
        keyboard
        > and typed ...:
        > > The best method, is not to use this plugin at all. Surely, you
        own ptgui,
        > > ptmac, or use hugin.
        > >
        > > I also have the same memory, and there is no work around, except
        for
        > > reducing the resolution of your image.
        > >

        > > Any function done in the plugin can be replicated using the
        aforementioned
        > > programs, in a quicker, faster, and easier to understand
        fashion, and
        > > without memory limitations.
        >
        > Extacting the zenith and/or nadir in PTGui forces you to bounce
        back and
        > forth between PTGui and Photoshop (i.e., output the pano in PTGui,
        open
        > it in PS, do any post production clean up, save the file, open it
        in
        > PTGui, extract the Z/N, open the Z/N in PS and fix it, save the
        file,
        > reinsert it in PTGui), output a final pano. Whereas if you use
        PTAdjust
        > you can output the pano in PTGui, open it in PS, do any post
        production
        > clean up, extract theZ/N, fix it, reinsert it, save the file and
        you're
        > done. I prefer to use PTGui to generate the pano and PS to
        finalize
        > it. Then I'm only in each program once and I'm off to Pano2VR to
        > generate the final .MOVs and .SWFs. It's a lot easier than
        bouncing
        > back and forth between 2 programs.
        >
        > > If you need help on a particular transformation, there are many
        people
        > > here
        > > who can help.
        > >

        > > Sacha Griffin
        > >
        > > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        > >
        > > http://www.southern-digital.com
        > >
        > > http://www.seeit360.net

        Checked by AVG.
        19:15

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1 11:11 AM
          Yes, if it works at your memory limit, the plugins are great. I used them
          before I learned templating and could still use them since I've gone to a 5d
          w 10.5.

          However, both methods should be in ones toolkit, and they are both tricky
          and eccentric the first time. Without using a template, it IS a giant hassle
          and a lot of extra clicks. I've found that proper editing of a 360 panorama
          is one of the least understood phases for those just introduced. Its
          important to know how to do it, without relying on cubic convertor/panocube
          and potentially other steps/programs that may degrade the quality that were
          never meant for this purpose.

          The good thing about panotools gui's method, is that it always works no
          matter how many thousands of dollars you didn't spend on your computer.

          Unfortunately, I bounce around a lot. My workflow goes

          Firefox (Pandora music)

          Photoshop raw

          Enfuse

          Ptgui

          FSPViewer

          Ptgui (n or z extract)

          Photoshop

          Ptgui (n or z insert)

          FSPViewer

          Photoshop

          FSPViewer

          Pano2vr droplet via a sendto shortcut for fpp cubefaces

          Notetab

          Ws_ftp

          Firefox (Preview)

          BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my lettuce sprouts.
          Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?

          Sacha Griffin

          Southern Digital Solutions LLC

          http://www.southern-digital.com

          http://www.seeit360.net

          404-551-4275

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1 1:33 PM
            On Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 17:26, Daley wrote:

            > ok, now that i have extracted partial view from equirectangular,
            > that's fine. thanks. but my handheld nadir shoot still in fisheye
            > format, what tool to defish it so that can patch the partial view ?

            What program did you use to stitch the equirectangular? I assume it
            was from the panotools family: hugin, PTGui, PTMac, PTAssembler
            should be all more or less the same.

            Extracting a floor partial view is great if you want to edit the
            tripod hole directly f.e. by doubling floor tiles or cloning other
            regular structures. If you want to insert a fisheye shot into an
            rectilinear image the best way is to stitch them. You need to fix the
            rectilinear view of course by not allowing to optimize any parameter
            (FoV must be set manually, yaw, roll and pitch as well as lens
            correction a, b and c all stay 0.0) The fisheye view needs
            individual lens paramters, you must allow for the optimization of all
            paramters to get a good fit.

            However, it is not necessary if you want to insert a nadir shot into
            a spherical panorama. You can simply add it to your original project.
            There is a short tutorial (with screenshots from an outdated PTGui
            version - but as said above, any of the GUIs should do):
            http://wiki.panotools.org/Stitching_Nadir_Shots
            A discussion of different nadir editing techniques is found on
            http://wiki.panotools.org/Zenith_and_Nadir_editing_overview

            best regards
          • dalileis
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1 3:23 PM
              For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
              app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:

              http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php

              It's superb.

              Does not interrupt your 16 bit workflow, in other words it works
              splendidly in 16bit.

              It gives you options to rotate and preview nadir/zenith before the
              actual convertion takes place.

              It's fast. It uses Photoshop standard interpolators.

              It is itself Photoshop plugin, no need to go outside Photoshop.

              It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
              one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
              to be.

              It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.

              Start using this NOW.

              Highly recommended, as they say on Dpreview.

              Regards,

              Dalileis
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1 4:31 PM
                On Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 22:23, dalileis wrote:

                > It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
                > one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
                > to be.
                >
                > It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.
                >
                > Start using this NOW.

                Would you write a short description for the wiki? Or a tutorial if
                possible? I'd very much like to include it in the zenith and nadir
                editing overview...

                best regards
              • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1 5:02 PM
                  This could be your answer...(the memory size one being the more important
                  point)

                  Quoted from the website:
                  ------------------------
                  Known issues:
                  - The plugins don't work with float images. I will be able to support float
                  as soon as FilterMeister does.
                  - Running the plugins eat a lot of memory, about three times as much as the
                  images themselves. On my 3Gb machine I hit the roof at 10000 pixel float
                  images. Other users with 2Gb of RAM have been able to convert maximum 6000
                  pixel images. I am looking into this, but since there's little memory
                  managment I can do I'm afraid that this also is a limitation of
                  FilterMeister.
                  ------------------------

                  Often I also prefer to use a rectilinear view for the nadir; especially if
                  looking at a regular patterned surface. (eg. Tiles, floorboards, etc.)

                  Cheers,
                  Darren.

                  )
[...]
                • AYRTON
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 1 7:00 PM
                    On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, dalileis <dalileis@...> wrote:

                    > For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                    > app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:

                    Because most professionals use MAC :-)
                    And this is windows only.

                    > http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php
                    >
                    > It's superb.
                    >
                    > Does not interrupt your 16 bit workflow, in other words it works
                    > splendidly in 16bit.
                    >
                    > It gives you options to rotate and preview nadir/zenith before the
                    > actual convertion takes place.
                    >
                    > It's fast. It uses Photoshop standard interpolators.
                    >
                    > It is itself Photoshop plugin, no need to go outside Photoshop.
                    >
                    > It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
                    > one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
                    > to be.
                    >
                    > It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.
                    >
                    > Start using this NOW.
                    >
                    > Highly recommended, as they say on Dpreview.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Dalileis

                    ------------
                    | A Y R |
                    | T O N |
                    ------------

                    + 55 21 9982 6313

                    http://ayrton360.com
                    http://rio.360cities.net
                    http://vrfolio.com
                    http://ayrton.com

                  • Daley
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 1 8:45 PM
                      ha, you real funny there. i got 4 cats, 3 dogs here though. Mostly
                      lost their way. some cats stay for few month didn't make it(old),
                      some stay n run away but come back later. Some newcomer. I just let
                      them in n out. One happy family!

                      Sure will look your templating http://www.seeit360.net/panotools.

                      Tq everyone, great detail, explanation. The more i learn , the more
                      i don't know.

                      Daley.

                      > BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my
                      lettuce sprouts.
                      > Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?
                      >

                      > Sacha Griffin
                      >
                      > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                      >
                      > http://www.southern-digital.com
                      >
                      > http://www.seeit360.net
                      >
                      > 404-551-4275

                    • Pat Swovelin
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 1 8:53 PM
                        On 4/1/2008 7:00 PM, AYRTON's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                        typed ...:
                        > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, dalileis <dalileis@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                        >> app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                        >

                        > Because most professionals use MAC :-)

                        "Professionals," no matter what OS they use, know that platform wars are
                        unnecessarily divisive and not productive to intelligently discussing
                        issues.

                        > And this is windows only.

                        Pat Swovelin
                        Cool Guy @ Large
                      • Pat Swovelin
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 1 11:24 PM
                          On 4/1/2008 11:11 AM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                          and typed ...:
                          > Yes, if it works at your memory limit, the plugins are great. I used them
                          > before I learned templating and could still use them since I've gone
                          > to a 5d
                          > w 10.5.
                          >
                          > However, both methods should be in ones toolkit, and they are both tricky
                          > and eccentric the first time. Without using a template, it IS a giant
                          > hassle
                          > and a lot of extra clicks. I've found that proper editing of a 360
                          > panorama
                          > is one of the least understood phases for those just introduced. Its
                          > important to know how to do it, without relying on cubic
                          > convertor/panocube
                          > and potentially other steps/programs that may degrade the quality that
                          > were
                          > never meant for this purpose.
                          >
                          > The good thing about panotools gui's method, is that it always works no
                          > matter how many thousands of dollars you didn't spend on your computer.
                          >

                          > Unfortunately, I bounce around a lot. My workflow goes
                          >
                          > Firefox (Pandora music)
                          >
                          > Photoshop raw
                          >
                          > Enfuse
                          >
                          > Ptgui
                          >
                          > FSPViewer
                          >
                          > Ptgui (n or z extract)
                          >
                          > Photoshop
                          >
                          > Ptgui (n or z insert)
                          >
                          > FSPViewer
                          >
                          > Photoshop
                          >
                          > FSPViewer

                          Instead of bouncing out to FSPViewer (as good as it is) you can send the
                          equirect directly to DevalVR from within Photoshop without having to
                          save it as a .TIF first. It's *really* slick.

                          > Pano2vr droplet via a sendto shortcut for fpp cubefaces
                          >
                          > Notetab
                          >
                          > Ws_ftp
                          >
                          > Firefox (Preview)
                          >

                          > BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my lettuce
                          > sprouts.
                          > Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?

                          No but you can call Homeland Security to get rid of him. "Save the
                          sprouts! Save the sprouts!" should be your rallying cry. =8^)

                          Pat Swovelin
                          Cool Guy @ Large
                        • Keith Martin
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 2 1:53 AM
                            Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 22:23 +0000) dalileis said:

                            >For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                            >app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                            >
                            >http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php

                            Two good reasons.

                            One, this is the first time I've heard of it.
                            And two, these Photoshop plugins are Windows only, gosh-darn it!

                          • Geoff Mather
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 2 4:42 AM
                              It also works within Paint Shop Pro XI (No reason why earlier versions
                              won't work either) as well simply save the files into the PlugIns
                              folder and your away.

                              Geoff
                            • Rune Spaans
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 16, 2008

                                > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 22:23 +0000) dalileis said:
                                >
                                > >For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                                > >app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                                > >
                                > >http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php
                                >
                                > Two good reasons.
                                >
                                > One, this is the first time I've heard of it.
                                > And two, these Photoshop plugins are Windows only, gosh-darn it!

                                I hope to have native Photoshop Windows and Mac version of these
                                plugins released in a year. We finally got a Mac here in the house,
                                and I am looking at the Photoshop SDK in my spare time. That will lead
                                to a faster and more memory efficient plugin as well :)

                                Rune