Re: Object VR

  • steven_mcq
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
      I saw this demoed at GDC at the Moscone Center last year. The picture
      they captured of me was funny to watch as a butterfly flitted around
      and landed on "my" nose, and "my" eyes would focus on it cross-eyed
      (the eye color was wrong). The VR impression is good for about a one
      quarter turn of the head from the front, each way. The mesh they map
      to has default morphs for smiles, and didn't match my mouth or smile
      muscles at all. That didn't bother me because it's just a cartoon, but
      other people watching the demo found it a fault. People are
      extraordinarily observant of face details, and sticklers for
      representations that match their perceptions. The developer needs to
      take this idea further, with lip sync. Then it would take off. Not
      because people would lip sync their faces to phone message. They'd
      watch themselves sing popular songs! VR Inverse Karaoke, you don't
      sing the song, it sings you.

      SMcQ

      > Oops! I did a little searching and found this page in English that
      > explains most.
      > http://www.motionportrait.com/e/about/
      > Using our unique MotionPortrait technology, you can instantly
      convert
      > one single picture into 3D model, and create 3D animation.
      >
      > The link I meant to send showed one of the demos full screen.
      > http://www.motionportrait.com/about/TIminoriHair.swf
      >
      > I had to try the page a couple time before it downloaded.
      >
      > Jim
      >

      > William Donelson wrote:
      > > Sorry, where?
      > >
      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jim Watters <jwatters@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Here is an example of object VR using some video footage done in
      flash
      > >> that is very well executed.
      > >>
      > >> The data is coming from motionportait.com. Anyone know more
      about this
      > >> company?
      > >>
      > --
      > Jim Watters
      >
      > jwatters @ photocreations . ca
      > http://photocreations.ca

    • gabriel s
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 30, 2008
        Hello.                                                                                                                           Does any one have an idea how much to charge for an Object VR?

        Thanks for the info, Gabriel Soren

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 30, 2008
          On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM, gabriel s <allogabriel@...> wrote:

          > Hello.
          > Does any one have an idea how much to charge for an Object VR?
          > Thanks for the info, Gabriel Soren

          Please could you explain better what you mean ???
          hello to charge ?

          Thanks
          AYRTON

          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
          ------------

          + 55 21 9982 6313

          http://ayrton360.com
          http://rio.360cities.net
          http://vrfolio.com
          http://ayrton.com

        • Matt Smith
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 30, 2008
            I'm with Ayrton

            A lot of things go into the cost of an Object VR

            1 row?
            5 row?
            10 row?

            Interaction?
            Image count?
            Size of object?

            How many products do they need shot?
            Timeline?

            In studio or on location?

            Matt Smith
            PhotoSpherix
            317.396.5791
            starting a Revolution in Photography
            Indianapolis, Indiana USA
            http://www.photospherix.com

            On Oct 30, 2008, at 11:37 AM, AYRTON wrote:

            > On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM, gabriel s <allogabriel@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            >> Hello.
            >> Does any one have an idea how much to charge for an Object VR?
            >> Thanks for the info, Gabriel Soren
            >

            > Please could you explain better what you mean ???
            > hello to charge ?
            >
            > Thanks
            > AYRTON

            >> ------------------------------------
            >>
            >> --
            >>

            > --
            > ------------
            > | A Y R |
            > | T O N |
            > ------------
            >
            > + 55 21 9982 6313
            >
            > http://ayrton360.com
            > http://rio.360cities.net
            > http://vrfolio.com
            > http://ayrton.com

            This message was checked by MailScan for WorkgroupMail.
            www.workgroupmail.com
          • Marc Huff
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 30, 2008
              Um... need a little more information. How large? How many images? An
              object on a turntable or is larger than that?

              _Marc Huff
              WHdigital, Inc.

            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
                Sometime around 30/10/08 (at 08:35 -0700) gabriel s said:

                >Does any one have an idea how much to charge for an Object VR?

                Hi Gabriel,

                Rather than ask about the details of the shoot or
                any of that stuff, I think the answer lies in
                something more universal, a couple of questions
                that are the same no matter what it is you're
                talking about, as long as there are no
                significant material costs to add. These
                questions are:

                How long will it take to make?
                What is a realistic (i.e. not too low) hourly (daily, etc.) rate for your time?

                The answer can be derived from a very simple
                formula. Once you have it you just need to have
                the confidence to present it calmly and
                confidently and not let yourself be beaten down
                to an unrealistically low price.

                x = realistic time required to make it, in hours
                y = realistic minimum hourly rate for your time
                x * y = the minimum amount to charge.

                Need to figure out your bottom-line hourly rate?
                Work out your absolute, complete, total, gross
                pre-tax annual income requirement (regardless of
                whether you're salaried, full-time freelance or
                whatever), divide by 1000, and there you have it.
                I can explain in detail if you like, but trust me
                - this really works!

                It is a *bad* idea to offer lower hourly (or
                daily etc.) rates. You'll set a precedent both
                for future work for yourself from that client and
                for other photographers who might pitch for work
                as well. Don't drag down the market rate or it
                becomes financially impossible to do business!

                If you think bargaining might be on the cards,
                start higher and use the above equation to know
                what's your bottom line. If the client isn't
                willing to pay a reasonable amount, the job isn't
                worth doing.

                If you really want to provide a more affordable
                deal for someone, consider charging for fewer
                hours rather than less per hour. This is somewhat
                less damaging and also easier to present to a
                client as a 'one-off favour', and it keeps your
                hourly/daily charges clearly at a professional
                rate - although there are still ongoing risks.

                If you have a car worth £3000 you would be
                reluctant to sell it for £2000, right? Your time
                is valuable and you can't get it back. Don't sell
                yourself short.

              • gabriel s
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
                  Hi, thanks for the reply.
                  It's a medication bottle and packaging for a pharmaceutical Co in Montreal, Canada. Has to be high quality. I have the rig, lights, Kaidan head and D300.
                  Gabriel

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
                    Hi
                    It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know what to quote.
                    Gabriel

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
                      Sometime around 31/10/08 (at 10:51 -0700) gabriel s said:

                      >It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has
                      >to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know
                      >what to quote.

                      You don't need a panohead for this, you need a rotating turntable
                      that can be turned to specific points, for example in 10 degree
                      steps. With the right equipment (i.e. a proper VR Object turntable)
                      or a carefully-built home-made equivalent, this shouldn't be a
                      terribly difficult task.

                      You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
                      flare from the packaging in certain angles. And you'll need to think
                      how you're going to handle the base and background as they appear in
                      the shots. Some Photoshop work is likely to be involved, but remember
                      that you'd have to repeat it accurately across most or all shots.

                      Then, once you have the shots, use Object2VR from
                      http://gardengnomesoftware.com/object2vr.php to put everything
                      together as a QTVR Object movie or a Flash-based equivalent.

                      I presume you won't be getting back to the client before Monday?
                      Maybe you should try this out over the weekend to see how well you
                      get on. Get a 'Lazy Susan' turntable, mark the edge in 10 degree
                      steps (for 36 shots around), and try shooting and processing
                      something similar to the bottle and packaging.

                      If all goes reasonably well it should take no more than one day to
                      set up, shoot, process the shots and then generate an object movie.
                      But if you need to do much work to the images it could take longer.

                    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 1, 2008
                        Quoting Keith Martin <keith@...>:

                        > Sometime around 31/10/08 (at 10:51 -0700) gabriel s said:
                        >
                        > >It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has
                        > >to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know
                        > >what to quote.
                        >
                        > You don't need a panohead for this, you need a rotating turntable
                        > that can be turned to specific points, for example in 10 degree
                        > steps. With the right equipment (i.e. a proper VR Object turntable)
                        > or a carefully-built home-made equivalent, this shouldn't be a
                        > terribly difficult task.

                        http://www.panagito.com/MISC/cat.html

                        for glass bottom lighting is nice. so I made a hole in a piece of transluscent
                        plastic and a disc that fitted the hole.
                        Robert is your mother's brother

                        mick

                      • paul womack
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
                          Keith Martin wrote:
                          > You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
                          > flare from the packaging in certain angles.

                          HDR might be an easy approach, or at least
                          easier than the alternatives

                          BugBear
                        • Andrew Crawford
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
                            Keith Martin wrote:
                            > You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
                            > flare from the packaging in certain angles. And you'll need to think
                            > how you're going to handle the base and background as they appear in
                            > the shots. Some Photoshop work is likely to be involved, but remember
                            > that you'd have to repeat it accurately across most or all shots.

                            A light tent and/or diffusers may help some with this.

                            Andrew Crawford
                          • Jim Watters
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011
                              Is there any advantage to display object VR images in a anamorphosis projection
                              that requires a mirror to view them besides giving the user a physical object to
                              manipulate instead of the touch screen?
                              http://www.diginfo.tv/2011/10/28/11-0221-r-en.php

                              The size of the image in the mirror ends up being 1/16 the size if it was
                              displayed normally on the touch screen itself.

                              --
                              Jim Watters
                              http://photocreations.ca
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011

                                It appears to be a great example of Chindogu to me.

                                Sacha Griffin

                                http://www.seeit360.com

                                http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                                http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

                                EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

                                IM: sachagriffin007@...

                                Office: 404-551-4275

                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011
                                  It gets you write ups in blogs all over the world.

                                  Matt Smith
                                  PhotoSpherix
                                  317.396.5791
                                  Indianapolis, Indiana USA

                                  On Nov 7, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Jim Watters wrote:

                                  Is there any advantage to display object VR images in a anamorphosis projection
                                  that requires a mirror to view them besides giving the user a physical object to
                                  manipulate instead of the touch screen?
                                  http://www.diginfo.tv/2011/10/28/11-0221-r-en.php

                                  The size of the image in the mirror ends up being 1/16 the size if it was
                                  displayed normally on the touch screen itself.

                                  --
                                  Jim Watters
                                  http://photocreations.ca

                                  <*> Your email settings: