Hugin and HDR from a single RAW file

  • Huy Hoang
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2008
      I've been using Hugin to create panorama pictures, but last week I was playing with creating HDR from a single RAW file using Ufraw and Enfuse (for more information on it under Ubuntu: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=741161).

      In which order should I use the tools to create HDR panorama?

      If I use Enfuse first, would Hugin have a problem blending the HDR photos created by Enfuse? Would it affect autopano-sift in auto detecting matching points?

      If I use Hugin first, how do I save the settings in Hugin to apply to several sets of different exposures to get consistency before feeding them to Enfuse?

      Which way is more efficient in term of speed and quality?

      thanks,

      --huy

    • Bruno Postle
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
        On Mon 31-Mar-2008 at 20:55 -0700, Huy Hoang wrote:
        >I've been using Hugin to create panorama pictures, but last week I
        >was playing with creating HDR from a single RAW file using Ufraw
        >and Enfuse (for more information on it under Ubuntu:
        >http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=741161).
        >
        >In which order should I use the tools to create HDR panorama?
        >
        >If I use Enfuse first, would Hugin have a problem blending the HDR
        >photos created by Enfuse? Would it affect autopano-sift in auto
        >detecting matching points?

        This is effectively what hugin will do anyway (ie. remap, merge with
        enfuse, then blend with enblend). So you will be ok creating
        'enfused RAW' images and then stitching them with hugin as normal.

        >If I use Hugin first, how do I save the settings in Hugin to apply
        >to several sets of different exposures to get consistency before
        >feeding them to Enfuse?

        With a hugin-0.7.0 pre-release you add all the images as normal and
        let the photometric optimisation figure-out which images are part of
        a stack:

        http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/enfuse-360/

        ..but in your case, as there is no need to align the stacks, it is
        simpler to do the enfuse thing separately.

        --
        Bruno
      • Huy Hoang
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
          do you think Hugin is (or will) able to work on 16bit TIFF file? Since Enfuse is part of Enblend package, maybe it would be more useful if Hugin can take the TIFF16, stitch, apply enblend and enfuse altogether.

          thanks, I'll try to experiment with it.

          --huy

          On Mon 31-Mar-2008 at 20:55 -0700, Huy Hoang wrote:
          >I've been using Hugin to create panorama pictures, but last week I
          >was playing with creating HDR from a single RAW file using Ufraw
          >and Enfuse (for more information on it under Ubuntu:
          >http://ubuntuforums .org/showthread. php?t=741161).
          >
          >In which order should I use the tools to create HDR panorama?
          >
          >If I use Enfuse first, would Hugin have a problem blending the HDR
          >photos created by Enfuse? Would it affect autopano-sift in auto
          >detecting matching points?

          This is effectively what hugin will do anyway (ie. remap, merge with
          enfuse, then blend with enblend). So you will be ok creating
          'enfused RAW' images and then stitching them with hugin as normal.

          >If I use Hugin first, how do I save the settings in Hugin to apply
          >to several sets of different exposures to get consistency before
          >feeding them to Enfuse?

          With a hugin-0.7.0 pre-release you add all the images as normal and
          let the photometric optimisation figure-out which images are part of
          a stack:

          http://hugin. sourceforge. net/tutorials/ enfuse-360/

          ..but in your case, as there is no need to align the stacks, it is
          simpler to do the enfuse thing separately.

          --
          Bruno

          <!--

          #ygrp-mkp{
          #ygrp-mkp hr{
          border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
          #ygrp-mkp #hd{
          #ygrp-mkp #ads{
          margin-bottom:10px;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad{
          padding:0 0;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
          color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
          font-family:Arial;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
          margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;}
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;}
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;}
          #ygrp-actbar{
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          #ygrp-ft{
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;}

          #ygrp-reco {
          margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
          #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
          font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

          #reco-grpname{
          font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
          #reco-category{
          font-size:77%;}
          #reco-desc{
          font-size:77%;}

          #ygrp-vital{
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-vital a{
          text-decoration:none;}

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;font-size:77%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;}
          o{font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal{
          margin:0 0 0 0;}
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;}
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq{margin:4;}
          -->

        • Bruno Postle
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
            On Tue 01-Apr-2008 at 07:39 -0700, Huy Hoang wrote:

            >do you think Hugin is (or will) able to work on 16bit TIFF file?
            >Since Enfuse is part of Enblend package, maybe it would be more
            >useful if Hugin can take the TIFF16, stitch, apply enblend and
            >enfuse altogether.

            Yes you can create 16bit images from your RAW data, stitch them with
            hugin/enblend to 16bit output, and then run this tool that merges
            faked brackets with enfuse.

            Though I don't think you will get the results you are expecting, do
            make sure that your 16bit input images are not clipped and that they
            have a gamma of 2.2.

            --
            Bruno
          • Huy Hoang
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
              Just try it with a set taken this morning, the sun was very bright and my camera was pointing directly to it so without enfuse, one side would be undexposed and the other is super overexposed.
              http://picasaweb.google.com/sillyxone/Panorama/photo#5184409804177189922

              At first, I converted the RAW into a 16-bit TIFF, then fed it to Autopanog and Hugin, no problem at all, but I don't know how to extract different exposures out of the final TIFF file to feed to Enfuse, so it's just sitting there. Beside, I heard that RAW file store in linear mode while TIFF applies the gamma so there are some clipping in the highlight and shadow. I don't think I will follow this direction.

              So, I converted three 8-bit TIFF from RAW for each shot, put those with the same exposure in same directory as an exposure set. Using the same .PTO file for all three exposures, Hugin had no problem creating three identical panoramas at 3 exposures. Enfuse obviously had no problem blending the panoramas together.

              So far so good, I'm happy with the result. Probably I will write a small shell script to speed up the process to make the experiment process easier.

              thanks for the guide,

              --huy

              On Tue 01-Apr-2008 at 07:39 -0700, Huy Hoang wrote:

              >do you think Hugin is (or will) able to work on 16bit TIFF file?
              >Since Enfuse is part of Enblend package, maybe it would be more
              >useful if Hugin can take the TIFF16, stitch, apply enblend and
              >enfuse altogether.

              Yes you can create 16bit images from your RAW data, stitch them with
              hugin/enblend to 16bit output, and then run this tool that merges
              faked brackets with enfuse.

              Though I don't think you will get the results you are expecting, do
              make sure that your 16bit input images are not clipped and that they
> [...]

            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
                Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 15:57 -0700) Huy Hoang said:

                >So, I converted three 8-bit TIFF from RAW for each shot, put those
                >with the same exposure in same directory as an exposure set. Using
                >the same .PTO file for all three exposures, Hugin had no problem
                >creating three identical panoramas at 3 exposures. Enfuse obviously
                >had no problem blending the panoramas together.

                My instinct, such as it is, would have been to make 16-bit TIFFs from
                the RAW file. Is this overkill when Enfusing?

              • Huy Hoang
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
                  can Enfuse automatically create 8-bit "HDR" from a single 16-bit TIFF? If so, what's the point of creating fake bracketing files to feed to it? I heard Photomatix can do that? May be I should just stitch the TIFF16 with Hugin then feed the output TIFF16 to Photomatix ... nah, I'm all about "poor man's HDR".

                  --huy

                  it's not the software that's free; it's you