Re: Object VR

  • sdubose99
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
      Cool. But jeez, the bloodshot eyes are distracting...

      > Oops! I did a little searching and found this page in English that
      > explains most.
      > http://www.motionportrait.com/e/about/
      > Using our unique MotionPortrait technology, you can instantly
      convert
      > one single picture into 3D model, and create 3D animation.
      >
      > The link I meant to send showed one of the demos full screen.
      > http://www.motionportrait.com/about/TIminoriHair.swf
      >
      > I had to try the page a couple time before it downloaded.
      >
      > Jim
      >

      > William Donelson wrote:
      > > Sorry, where?
      > >
      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jim Watters <jwatters@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Here is an example of object VR using some video footage done in
      flash
      > >> that is very well executed.
      > >>
      > >> The data is coming from motionportait.com. Anyone know more
      about this
      > >> company?
      > >>
      > --
      > Jim Watters
      >
      > jwatters @ photocreations . ca
      > http://photocreations.ca

    • Carel
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
        Jim Watters wrote:

        > Here is an example of object VR using some video footage done in flash
        > that is very well executed.
        >
        > The data is coming from motionportait.com. Anyone know more about this
        > company?
        > --
        > Jim Watters
        >
        > Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
        > jwatters @ photocreations . ca
        > http://photocreations.ca

        Where is the link to the object VR ?

        Carel

      • steven_mcq
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
          I saw this demoed at GDC at the Moscone Center last year. The picture
          they captured of me was funny to watch as a butterfly flitted around
          and landed on "my" nose, and "my" eyes would focus on it cross-eyed
          (the eye color was wrong). The VR impression is good for about a one
          quarter turn of the head from the front, each way. The mesh they map
          to has default morphs for smiles, and didn't match my mouth or smile
          muscles at all. That didn't bother me because it's just a cartoon, but
          other people watching the demo found it a fault. People are
          extraordinarily observant of face details, and sticklers for
          representations that match their perceptions. The developer needs to
          take this idea further, with lip sync. Then it would take off. Not
          because people would lip sync their faces to phone message. They'd
          watch themselves sing popular songs! VR Inverse Karaoke, you don't
          sing the song, it sings you.

          SMcQ

          > Oops! I did a little searching and found this page in English that
          > explains most.
          > http://www.motionportrait.com/e/about/
          > Using our unique MotionPortrait technology, you can instantly
          convert
          > one single picture into 3D model, and create 3D animation.
          >
          > The link I meant to send showed one of the demos full screen.
          > http://www.motionportrait.com/about/TIminoriHair.swf
          >
          > I had to try the page a couple time before it downloaded.
          >
          > Jim
          >

          > William Donelson wrote:
          > > Sorry, where?
          > >
          > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jim Watters <jwatters@> wrote:
          > >
          > >> Here is an example of object VR using some video footage done in
          flash
          > >> that is very well executed.
          > >>
          > >> The data is coming from motionportait.com. Anyone know more
          about this
          > >> company?
          > >>
          > --
          > Jim Watters
          >
          > jwatters @ photocreations . ca
          > http://photocreations.ca

        • gabriel s
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 30, 2008
            Hello.                                                                                                                           Does any one have an idea how much to charge for an Object VR?

            Thanks for the info, Gabriel Soren

          • AYRTON
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 30, 2008
              On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM, gabriel s <allogabriel@...> wrote:

              > Hello.
              > Does any one have an idea how much to charge for an Object VR?
              > Thanks for the info, Gabriel Soren

              Please could you explain better what you mean ???
              hello to charge ?

              Thanks
              AYRTON

              ------------
              | A Y R |
              | T O N |
              ------------

              + 55 21 9982 6313

              http://ayrton360.com
              http://rio.360cities.net
              http://vrfolio.com
              http://ayrton.com

            • Matt Smith
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 30, 2008
                I'm with Ayrton

                A lot of things go into the cost of an Object VR

                1 row?
                5 row?
                10 row?

                Interaction?
                Image count?
                Size of object?

                How many products do they need shot?
                Timeline?

                In studio or on location?

                Matt Smith
                PhotoSpherix
                317.396.5791
                starting a Revolution in Photography
                Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                http://www.photospherix.com

                On Oct 30, 2008, at 11:37 AM, AYRTON wrote:

                > On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM, gabriel s <allogabriel@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >> Hello.
                >> Does any one have an idea how much to charge for an Object VR?
                >> Thanks for the info, Gabriel Soren
                >

                > Please could you explain better what you mean ???
                > hello to charge ?
                >
                > Thanks
                > AYRTON

                >> ------------------------------------
                >>
                >> --
                >>

                > --
                > ------------
                > | A Y R |
                > | T O N |
                > ------------
                >
                > + 55 21 9982 6313
                >
                > http://ayrton360.com
                > http://rio.360cities.net
                > http://vrfolio.com
                > http://ayrton.com

                This message was checked by MailScan for WorkgroupMail.
                www.workgroupmail.com
              • Marc Huff
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 30, 2008
                  Um... need a little more information. How large? How many images? An
                  object on a turntable or is larger than that?

                  _Marc Huff
                  WHdigital, Inc.

                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
                    Sometime around 30/10/08 (at 08:35 -0700) gabriel s said:

                    >Does any one have an idea how much to charge for an Object VR?

                    Hi Gabriel,

                    Rather than ask about the details of the shoot or
                    any of that stuff, I think the answer lies in
                    something more universal, a couple of questions
                    that are the same no matter what it is you're
                    talking about, as long as there are no
                    significant material costs to add. These
                    questions are:

                    How long will it take to make?
                    What is a realistic (i.e. not too low) hourly (daily, etc.) rate for your time?

                    The answer can be derived from a very simple
                    formula. Once you have it you just need to have
                    the confidence to present it calmly and
                    confidently and not let yourself be beaten down
                    to an unrealistically low price.

                    x = realistic time required to make it, in hours
                    y = realistic minimum hourly rate for your time
                    x * y = the minimum amount to charge.

                    Need to figure out your bottom-line hourly rate?
                    Work out your absolute, complete, total, gross
                    pre-tax annual income requirement (regardless of
                    whether you're salaried, full-time freelance or
                    whatever), divide by 1000, and there you have it.
                    I can explain in detail if you like, but trust me
                    - this really works!

                    It is a *bad* idea to offer lower hourly (or
                    daily etc.) rates. You'll set a precedent both
                    for future work for yourself from that client and
                    for other photographers who might pitch for work
                    as well. Don't drag down the market rate or it
                    becomes financially impossible to do business!

                    If you think bargaining might be on the cards,
                    start higher and use the above equation to know
                    what's your bottom line. If the client isn't
                    willing to pay a reasonable amount, the job isn't
                    worth doing.

                    If you really want to provide a more affordable
                    deal for someone, consider charging for fewer
                    hours rather than less per hour. This is somewhat
                    less damaging and also easier to present to a
                    client as a 'one-off favour', and it keeps your
                    hourly/daily charges clearly at a professional
                    rate - although there are still ongoing risks.

                    If you have a car worth £3000 you would be
                    reluctant to sell it for £2000, right? Your time
                    is valuable and you can't get it back. Don't sell
                    yourself short.

                  • gabriel s
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
                      Hi, thanks for the reply.
                      It's a medication bottle and packaging for a pharmaceutical Co in Montreal, Canada. Has to be high quality. I have the rig, lights, Kaidan head and D300.
                      Gabriel

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
                        Hi
                        It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know what to quote.
                        Gabriel

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
                          Sometime around 31/10/08 (at 10:51 -0700) gabriel s said:

                          >It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has
                          >to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know
                          >what to quote.

                          You don't need a panohead for this, you need a rotating turntable
                          that can be turned to specific points, for example in 10 degree
                          steps. With the right equipment (i.e. a proper VR Object turntable)
                          or a carefully-built home-made equivalent, this shouldn't be a
                          terribly difficult task.

                          You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
                          flare from the packaging in certain angles. And you'll need to think
                          how you're going to handle the base and background as they appear in
                          the shots. Some Photoshop work is likely to be involved, but remember
                          that you'd have to repeat it accurately across most or all shots.

                          Then, once you have the shots, use Object2VR from
                          http://gardengnomesoftware.com/object2vr.php to put everything
                          together as a QTVR Object movie or a Flash-based equivalent.

                          I presume you won't be getting back to the client before Monday?
                          Maybe you should try this out over the weekend to see how well you
                          get on. Get a 'Lazy Susan' turntable, mark the edge in 10 degree
                          steps (for 36 shots around), and try shooting and processing
                          something similar to the bottle and packaging.

                          If all goes reasonably well it should take no more than one day to
                          set up, shoot, process the shots and then generate an object movie.
                          But if you need to do much work to the images it could take longer.

                        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 1, 2008
                            Quoting Keith Martin <keith@...>:

                            > Sometime around 31/10/08 (at 10:51 -0700) gabriel s said:
                            >
                            > >It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has
                            > >to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know
                            > >what to quote.
                            >
                            > You don't need a panohead for this, you need a rotating turntable
                            > that can be turned to specific points, for example in 10 degree
                            > steps. With the right equipment (i.e. a proper VR Object turntable)
                            > or a carefully-built home-made equivalent, this shouldn't be a
                            > terribly difficult task.

                            http://www.panagito.com/MISC/cat.html

                            for glass bottom lighting is nice. so I made a hole in a piece of transluscent
                            plastic and a disc that fitted the hole.
                            Robert is your mother's brother

                            mick

                          • paul womack
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
                              Keith Martin wrote:
                              > You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
                              > flare from the packaging in certain angles.

                              HDR might be an easy approach, or at least
                              easier than the alternatives

                              BugBear
                            • Andrew Crawford
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
                                Keith Martin wrote:
                                > You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
                                > flare from the packaging in certain angles. And you'll need to think
                                > how you're going to handle the base and background as they appear in
                                > the shots. Some Photoshop work is likely to be involved, but remember
                                > that you'd have to repeat it accurately across most or all shots.

                                A light tent and/or diffusers may help some with this.

                                Andrew Crawford
                              • Jim Watters
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011
                                  Is there any advantage to display object VR images in a anamorphosis projection
                                  that requires a mirror to view them besides giving the user a physical object to
                                  manipulate instead of the touch screen?
                                  http://www.diginfo.tv/2011/10/28/11-0221-r-en.php

                                  The size of the image in the mirror ends up being 1/16 the size if it was
                                  displayed normally on the touch screen itself.

                                  --
                                  Jim Watters
                                  http://photocreations.ca
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011

                                    It appears to be a great example of Chindogu to me.

                                    Sacha Griffin

                                    http://www.seeit360.com

                                    http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                                    http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

                                    EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

                                    IM: sachagriffin007@...

                                    Office: 404-551-4275

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011
                                      It gets you write ups in blogs all over the world.

                                      Matt Smith
                                      PhotoSpherix
                                      317.396.5791
                                      Indianapolis, Indiana USA

                                      On Nov 7, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Jim Watters wrote:

                                      Is there any advantage to display object VR images in a anamorphosis projection
                                      that requires a mirror to view them besides giving the user a physical object to
                                      manipulate instead of the touch screen?
                                      http://www.diginfo.tv/2011/10/28/11-0221-r-en.php

                                      The size of the image in the mirror ends up being 1/16 the size if it was
                                      displayed normally on the touch screen itself.

                                      --
                                      Jim Watters
                                      http://photocreations.ca

                                      <*> Your email settings: