Re: Object VR

  • William Donelson
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
      Sorry, where?

      > Here is an example of object VR using some video footage done in flash
      > that is very well executed.
      >
      > The data is coming from motionportait.com. Anyone know more about this
      > company?
      >

      > --
      > Jim Watters
      >
      > Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
      > jwatters @ photocreations . ca
      > http://photocreations.ca

    • Jim Watters
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
        Oops! I did a little searching and found this page in English that
        explains most.
        http://www.motionportrait.com/e/about/
        Using our unique MotionPortrait technology, you can instantly convert
        one single picture into 3D model, and create 3D animation.

        The link I meant to send showed one of the demos full screen.
        http://www.motionportrait.com/about/TIminoriHair.swf

        I had to try the page a couple time before it downloaded.

        Jim

        --
        Jim Watters

        jwatters @ photocreations . ca
        http://photocreations.ca
      • sdubose99
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
          Cool. But jeez, the bloodshot eyes are distracting...

          > Oops! I did a little searching and found this page in English that
          > explains most.
          > http://www.motionportrait.com/e/about/
          > Using our unique MotionPortrait technology, you can instantly
          convert
          > one single picture into 3D model, and create 3D animation.
          >
          > The link I meant to send showed one of the demos full screen.
          > http://www.motionportrait.com/about/TIminoriHair.swf
          >
          > I had to try the page a couple time before it downloaded.
          >
          > Jim
          >

          > William Donelson wrote:
          > > Sorry, where?
          > >
          > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jim Watters <jwatters@> wrote:
          > >
          > >> Here is an example of object VR using some video footage done in
          flash
          > >> that is very well executed.
          > >>
          > >> The data is coming from motionportait.com. Anyone know more
          about this
          > >> company?
          > >>
          > --
          > Jim Watters
          >
          > jwatters @ photocreations . ca
          > http://photocreations.ca

        • Carel
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
            Jim Watters wrote:

            > Here is an example of object VR using some video footage done in flash
            > that is very well executed.
            >
            > The data is coming from motionportait.com. Anyone know more about this
            > company?
            > --
            > Jim Watters
            >
            > Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
            > jwatters @ photocreations . ca
            > http://photocreations.ca

            Where is the link to the object VR ?

            Carel

          • steven_mcq
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
              I saw this demoed at GDC at the Moscone Center last year. The picture
              they captured of me was funny to watch as a butterfly flitted around
              and landed on "my" nose, and "my" eyes would focus on it cross-eyed
              (the eye color was wrong). The VR impression is good for about a one
              quarter turn of the head from the front, each way. The mesh they map
              to has default morphs for smiles, and didn't match my mouth or smile
              muscles at all. That didn't bother me because it's just a cartoon, but
              other people watching the demo found it a fault. People are
              extraordinarily observant of face details, and sticklers for
              representations that match their perceptions. The developer needs to
              take this idea further, with lip sync. Then it would take off. Not
              because people would lip sync their faces to phone message. They'd
              watch themselves sing popular songs! VR Inverse Karaoke, you don't
              sing the song, it sings you.

              SMcQ

              > Oops! I did a little searching and found this page in English that
              > explains most.
              > http://www.motionportrait.com/e/about/
              > Using our unique MotionPortrait technology, you can instantly
              convert
              > one single picture into 3D model, and create 3D animation.
              >
              > The link I meant to send showed one of the demos full screen.
              > http://www.motionportrait.com/about/TIminoriHair.swf
              >
              > I had to try the page a couple time before it downloaded.
              >
              > Jim
              >

              > William Donelson wrote:
              > > Sorry, where?
              > >
              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jim Watters <jwatters@> wrote:
              > >
              > >> Here is an example of object VR using some video footage done in
              flash
              > >> that is very well executed.
              > >>
              > >> The data is coming from motionportait.com. Anyone know more
              about this
              > >> company?
              > >>
              > --
              > Jim Watters
              >
              > jwatters @ photocreations . ca
              > http://photocreations.ca

            • gabriel s
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 30, 2008
                Hello.                                                                                                                           Does any one have an idea how much to charge for an Object VR?

                Thanks for the info, Gabriel Soren

              • AYRTON
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 30, 2008
                  On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM, gabriel s <allogabriel@...> wrote:

                  > Hello.
                  > Does any one have an idea how much to charge for an Object VR?
                  > Thanks for the info, Gabriel Soren

                  Please could you explain better what you mean ???
                  hello to charge ?

                  Thanks
                  AYRTON

                  ------------
                  | A Y R |
                  | T O N |
                  ------------

                  + 55 21 9982 6313

                  http://ayrton360.com
                  http://rio.360cities.net
                  http://vrfolio.com
                  http://ayrton.com

                • Matt Smith
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 30, 2008
                    I'm with Ayrton

                    A lot of things go into the cost of an Object VR

                    1 row?
                    5 row?
                    10 row?

                    Interaction?
                    Image count?
                    Size of object?

                    How many products do they need shot?
                    Timeline?

                    In studio or on location?

                    Matt Smith
                    PhotoSpherix
                    317.396.5791
                    starting a Revolution in Photography
                    Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                    http://www.photospherix.com

                    On Oct 30, 2008, at 11:37 AM, AYRTON wrote:

                    > On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM, gabriel s <allogabriel@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hello.
                    >> Does any one have an idea how much to charge for an Object VR?
                    >> Thanks for the info, Gabriel Soren
                    >

                    > Please could you explain better what you mean ???
                    > hello to charge ?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > AYRTON

                    >> ------------------------------------
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >>

                    > --
                    > ------------
                    > | A Y R |
                    > | T O N |
                    > ------------
                    >
                    > + 55 21 9982 6313
                    >
                    > http://ayrton360.com
                    > http://rio.360cities.net
                    > http://vrfolio.com
                    > http://ayrton.com

                    This message was checked by MailScan for WorkgroupMail.
                    www.workgroupmail.com
                  • Marc Huff
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 30, 2008
                      Um... need a little more information. How large? How many images? An
                      object on a turntable or is larger than that?

                      _Marc Huff
                      WHdigital, Inc.

                    • Keith Martin
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
                        Sometime around 30/10/08 (at 08:35 -0700) gabriel s said:

                        >Does any one have an idea how much to charge for an Object VR?

                        Hi Gabriel,

                        Rather than ask about the details of the shoot or
                        any of that stuff, I think the answer lies in
                        something more universal, a couple of questions
                        that are the same no matter what it is you're
                        talking about, as long as there are no
                        significant material costs to add. These
                        questions are:

                        How long will it take to make?
                        What is a realistic (i.e. not too low) hourly (daily, etc.) rate for your time?

                        The answer can be derived from a very simple
                        formula. Once you have it you just need to have
                        the confidence to present it calmly and
                        confidently and not let yourself be beaten down
                        to an unrealistically low price.

                        x = realistic time required to make it, in hours
                        y = realistic minimum hourly rate for your time
                        x * y = the minimum amount to charge.

                        Need to figure out your bottom-line hourly rate?
                        Work out your absolute, complete, total, gross
                        pre-tax annual income requirement (regardless of
                        whether you're salaried, full-time freelance or
                        whatever), divide by 1000, and there you have it.
                        I can explain in detail if you like, but trust me
                        - this really works!

                        It is a *bad* idea to offer lower hourly (or
                        daily etc.) rates. You'll set a precedent both
                        for future work for yourself from that client and
                        for other photographers who might pitch for work
                        as well. Don't drag down the market rate or it
                        becomes financially impossible to do business!

                        If you think bargaining might be on the cards,
                        start higher and use the above equation to know
                        what's your bottom line. If the client isn't
                        willing to pay a reasonable amount, the job isn't
                        worth doing.

                        If you really want to provide a more affordable
                        deal for someone, consider charging for fewer
                        hours rather than less per hour. This is somewhat
                        less damaging and also easier to present to a
                        client as a 'one-off favour', and it keeps your
                        hourly/daily charges clearly at a professional
                        rate - although there are still ongoing risks.

                        If you have a car worth £3000 you would be
                        reluctant to sell it for £2000, right? Your time
                        is valuable and you can't get it back. Don't sell
                        yourself short.

                      • gabriel s
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
                          Hi, thanks for the reply.
                          It's a medication bottle and packaging for a pharmaceutical Co in Montreal, Canada. Has to be high quality. I have the rig, lights, Kaidan head and D300.
                          Gabriel

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
                            Hi
                            It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know what to quote.
                            Gabriel

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
                              Sometime around 31/10/08 (at 10:51 -0700) gabriel s said:

                              >It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has
                              >to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know
                              >what to quote.

                              You don't need a panohead for this, you need a rotating turntable
                              that can be turned to specific points, for example in 10 degree
                              steps. With the right equipment (i.e. a proper VR Object turntable)
                              or a carefully-built home-made equivalent, this shouldn't be a
                              terribly difficult task.

                              You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
                              flare from the packaging in certain angles. And you'll need to think
                              how you're going to handle the base and background as they appear in
                              the shots. Some Photoshop work is likely to be involved, but remember
                              that you'd have to repeat it accurately across most or all shots.

                              Then, once you have the shots, use Object2VR from
                              http://gardengnomesoftware.com/object2vr.php to put everything
                              together as a QTVR Object movie or a Flash-based equivalent.

                              I presume you won't be getting back to the client before Monday?
                              Maybe you should try this out over the weekend to see how well you
                              get on. Get a 'Lazy Susan' turntable, mark the edge in 10 degree
                              steps (for 36 shots around), and try shooting and processing
                              something similar to the bottle and packaging.

                              If all goes reasonably well it should take no more than one day to
                              set up, shoot, process the shots and then generate an object movie.
                              But if you need to do much work to the images it could take longer.

                            • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 1, 2008
                                Quoting Keith Martin <keith@...>:

                                > Sometime around 31/10/08 (at 10:51 -0700) gabriel s said:
                                >
                                > >It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has
                                > >to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know
                                > >what to quote.
                                >
                                > You don't need a panohead for this, you need a rotating turntable
                                > that can be turned to specific points, for example in 10 degree
                                > steps. With the right equipment (i.e. a proper VR Object turntable)
                                > or a carefully-built home-made equivalent, this shouldn't be a
                                > terribly difficult task.

                                http://www.panagito.com/MISC/cat.html

                                for glass bottom lighting is nice. so I made a hole in a piece of transluscent
                                plastic and a disc that fitted the hole.
                                Robert is your mother's brother

                                mick

                              • paul womack
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
                                  Keith Martin wrote:
                                  > You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
                                  > flare from the packaging in certain angles.

                                  HDR might be an easy approach, or at least
                                  easier than the alternatives

                                  BugBear
                                • Andrew Crawford
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
                                    Keith Martin wrote:
                                    > You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
                                    > flare from the packaging in certain angles. And you'll need to think
                                    > how you're going to handle the base and background as they appear in
                                    > the shots. Some Photoshop work is likely to be involved, but remember
                                    > that you'd have to repeat it accurately across most or all shots.

                                    A light tent and/or diffusers may help some with this.

                                    Andrew Crawford
                                  • Jim Watters
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011
                                      Is there any advantage to display object VR images in a anamorphosis projection
                                      that requires a mirror to view them besides giving the user a physical object to
                                      manipulate instead of the touch screen?
                                      http://www.diginfo.tv/2011/10/28/11-0221-r-en.php

                                      The size of the image in the mirror ends up being 1/16 the size if it was
                                      displayed normally on the touch screen itself.

                                      --
                                      Jim Watters
                                      http://photocreations.ca
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011

                                        It appears to be a great example of Chindogu to me.

                                        Sacha Griffin

                                        http://www.seeit360.com

                                        http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                                        http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

                                        EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

                                        IM: sachagriffin007@...

                                        Office: 404-551-4275

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011
                                          It gets you write ups in blogs all over the world.

                                          Matt Smith
                                          PhotoSpherix
                                          317.396.5791
                                          Indianapolis, Indiana USA

                                          On Nov 7, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Jim Watters wrote:

                                          Is there any advantage to display object VR images in a anamorphosis projection
                                          that requires a mirror to view them besides giving the user a physical object to
                                          manipulate instead of the touch screen?
                                          http://www.diginfo.tv/2011/10/28/11-0221-r-en.php

                                          The size of the image in the mirror ends up being 1/16 the size if it was
                                          displayed normally on the touch screen itself.

                                          --
                                          Jim Watters
                                          http://photocreations.ca

                                          <*> Your email settings: