Re: [PanoToolsNG] mirror balls

  • Philipp B. Koch
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
      I have tried this kind of panos with a convex mirror I bought especially
      for this. Its diameter is about 30 cm, so I expected the quality to be
      pretty good. It was EUR 70,-- and I have to admit it was a bad buy.
      Unfortunately, the mirror is not a real "half ball", so (for me) it is
      impossible to remap the picture to equirectangular and have all
      verticals straight...

      You might want to have a look at this page:
      http://www.panoguide.com/forums/tipsntricks/25/

      Regards, Philipp Koch

      matt_nolan_uaf schrieb:
      > I'd like to try shooting into a mirror ball to get inside tight
      > spaces. Does anyone know of a source for such balls, preferably ones
      > that take a tripod screw? I found a tutorial on the wiki for using
      > christmas tree ornaments in this way, but I'd also be curious if there
      > are any other tutorials around.

    • Luca Vascon
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
        http://stores.ebay.com/ToolSupply

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, David Dantowitz <dantowitz@...> wrote:

          > http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/pbball.html

          Tilt!
        • steven_mcq
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
            Here's something you'd have little trouble attaching, and with a
            little optical grade red rouge you could bring its chrome plating up
            to a fine finish.

            http://www.supermagnetman.net/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=461

            SMcQ

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "steven_mcq" <smcquinn@...> wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, David Dantowitz <dantowitz@> wrote:
            > >

            > > http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/pbball.html
            > >

            > Tilt!

          • Keith Martin
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
              Sometime around 31/3/08 (at 14:58 +0000) steven_mcq said:

              >Here's something you'd have little trouble attaching, and with a
              >little optical grade red rouge you could bring its chrome plating up
              >to a fine finish.

              It'd play havoc with the pinball machine though! (Not to mention
              memory cards if you put it in your camera bag.)

              This is all very tempting stuff. I'm always amazed at the things
              people have done using mirrorballs. Strange but tempting.

            • verifone411
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
              • Luca Vascon
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                  I've one installed in my room...
                  good for back-peojection projects.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                    Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:

                    >I've one installed in my room...
                    >good for back-peojection projects.

                    Interesting. How do you use it?

                    This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                    vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                    around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                  • Marco Trezzini
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                      you might want to check out this article where Aram Pan uses this
                      technique to shoot the inside
                      of a sports shoe:
                      http://www.vrmag.org/issue29/GET_INSIDE_A_SPORTS_SHOE.html

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                        Done some years ago...
                        a film slide projection is always FAR better than any dlp projector image.
                        You have some little problems with centering and dimensioning the things,
                        however.
                        spherical mirror projections needs spherical mirror in taking. I've some
                        self built ones.
                        Nikon f3+200mm micro.

                        > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                        >
                        >>I've one installed in my room...
                        >>good for back-peojection projects.
                        >
                        > Interesting. How do you use it?
                        >
                        > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                        > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                        > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                      • Pat Swovelin
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                          On 4/1/2008 5:30 AM, Keith Martin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                          and typed ...:
                          > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                          >
                          >> I've one installed in my room...
                          >> good for back-peojection projects.
                          >
                          > Interesting. How do you use it?
                          >
                          > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                          > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                          > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                          Ummmm, dooonuts. D'oh!

                          Pat Swovelin
                          Cool Guy @ Large
                        • pau valiente
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 10, 2008
                            Very interesting indeed .... I also would like to try someday ...

                            pau valiente
                            www.pau.cc

                            El 01/04/2008, a las 14:30, Keith Martin escribió:

                            > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                            >
                            >> I've one installed in my room...
                            >> good for back-peojection projects.
                            >
                            > Interesting. How do you use it?
                            >
                            > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                            > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                            > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                          • Jim Watters
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 10, 2008
                              I saw this posted the other day. Panoramic movie using Christmas ball.
                              http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/04/panoramic_video_experimen.html

                              --
                              Jim Watters

                              jwatters @ photocreations . ca