Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: mirror balls

  • David Dantowitz
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30, 2008
    • Philipp B. Koch
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
        I have tried this kind of panos with a convex mirror I bought especially
        for this. Its diameter is about 30 cm, so I expected the quality to be
        pretty good. It was EUR 70,-- and I have to admit it was a bad buy.
        Unfortunately, the mirror is not a real "half ball", so (for me) it is
        impossible to remap the picture to equirectangular and have all
        verticals straight...

        You might want to have a look at this page:
        http://www.panoguide.com/forums/tipsntricks/25/

        Regards, Philipp Koch

        matt_nolan_uaf schrieb:
        > I'd like to try shooting into a mirror ball to get inside tight
        > spaces. Does anyone know of a source for such balls, preferably ones
        > that take a tripod screw? I found a tutorial on the wiki for using
        > christmas tree ornaments in this way, but I'd also be curious if there
        > are any other tutorials around.

      • Luca Vascon
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
          http://stores.ebay.com/ToolSupply

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, David Dantowitz <dantowitz@...> wrote:

            > http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/pbball.html

            Tilt!
          • steven_mcq
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
              Here's something you'd have little trouble attaching, and with a
              little optical grade red rouge you could bring its chrome plating up
              to a fine finish.

              http://www.supermagnetman.net/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=461

              SMcQ

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "steven_mcq" <smcquinn@...> wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, David Dantowitz <dantowitz@> wrote:
              > >

              > > http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/pbball.html
              > >

              > Tilt!

            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                Sometime around 31/3/08 (at 14:58 +0000) steven_mcq said:

                >Here's something you'd have little trouble attaching, and with a
                >little optical grade red rouge you could bring its chrome plating up
                >to a fine finish.

                It'd play havoc with the pinball machine though! (Not to mention
                memory cards if you put it in your camera bag.)

                This is all very tempting stuff. I'm always amazed at the things
                people have done using mirrorballs. Strange but tempting.

              • verifone411
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                • Luca Vascon
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                    I've one installed in my room...
                    good for back-peojection projects.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                      Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:

                      >I've one installed in my room...
                      >good for back-peojection projects.

                      Interesting. How do you use it?

                      This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                      vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                      around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                    • Marco Trezzini
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                        you might want to check out this article where Aram Pan uses this
                        technique to shoot the inside
                        of a sports shoe:
                        http://www.vrmag.org/issue29/GET_INSIDE_A_SPORTS_SHOE.html

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                          Done some years ago...
                          a film slide projection is always FAR better than any dlp projector image.
                          You have some little problems with centering and dimensioning the things,
                          however.
                          spherical mirror projections needs spherical mirror in taking. I've some
                          self built ones.
                          Nikon f3+200mm micro.

                          > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                          >
                          >>I've one installed in my room...
                          >>good for back-peojection projects.
                          >
                          > Interesting. How do you use it?
                          >
                          > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                          > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                          > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                        • Pat Swovelin
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                            On 4/1/2008 5:30 AM, Keith Martin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                            and typed ...:
                            > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                            >
                            >> I've one installed in my room...
                            >> good for back-peojection projects.
                            >
                            > Interesting. How do you use it?
                            >
                            > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                            > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                            > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                            Ummmm, dooonuts. D'oh!

                            Pat Swovelin
                            Cool Guy @ Large
                          • pau valiente
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 10, 2008
                              Very interesting indeed .... I also would like to try someday ...

                              pau valiente
                              www.pau.cc

                              El 01/04/2008, a las 14:30, Keith Martin escribió:

                              > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                              >
                              >> I've one installed in my room...
                              >> good for back-peojection projects.
                              >
                              > Interesting. How do you use it?
                              >
                              > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                              > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                              > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                            • Jim Watters
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 10, 2008
                                I saw this posted the other day. Panoramic movie using Christmas ball.
                                http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/04/panoramic_video_experimen.html

                                --
                                Jim Watters

                                jwatters @ photocreations . ca