Re: mirror balls

  • steven_mcq
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30, 2008
      Years ago at his old site, Helmut had a tutorial on using a high
      quality steel ball bearing for micro panos. He even cited the name of
      the supplier (whose address had changed), and described how he affixed
      the bearing for placement. The pano was a bug's eye view from within a
      flower. That page does not seem to exist anymore at his current site
      or at the Panotools mirror sites, as far as I can tell. Perhaps the
      steel bearing supplier does not exist anymore either!

      Apologies for any lapses in my memory, it was a long time ago and I
      hadn't thought about it until now.

      SMcQ

      http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp906/html/BillWard.html

      > The tutorial link is currently
      > http://www.billward.eu/page_pinball/pinball.html
      >
      > I used a 2.5cm pinball from pinball machine supplier. I've also tried
      > using a convex lens of which I had the surface specially
      > surface-silvered at an astonomy lens refurbishing company in London -
      > not as successful as you might think, it still made a low quality
      > reflector. I think the main limitation is the quality of the reflector.
      >
      > Bill

    • David Dantowitz
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 30, 2008
      • Philipp B. Koch
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
          I have tried this kind of panos with a convex mirror I bought especially
          for this. Its diameter is about 30 cm, so I expected the quality to be
          pretty good. It was EUR 70,-- and I have to admit it was a bad buy.
          Unfortunately, the mirror is not a real "half ball", so (for me) it is
          impossible to remap the picture to equirectangular and have all
          verticals straight...

          You might want to have a look at this page:
          http://www.panoguide.com/forums/tipsntricks/25/

          Regards, Philipp Koch

          matt_nolan_uaf schrieb:
          > I'd like to try shooting into a mirror ball to get inside tight
          > spaces. Does anyone know of a source for such balls, preferably ones
          > that take a tripod screw? I found a tutorial on the wiki for using
          > christmas tree ornaments in this way, but I'd also be curious if there
          > are any other tutorials around.

        • Luca Vascon
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
            http://stores.ebay.com/ToolSupply

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, David Dantowitz <dantowitz@...> wrote:

              > http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/pbball.html

              Tilt!
            • steven_mcq
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                Here's something you'd have little trouble attaching, and with a
                little optical grade red rouge you could bring its chrome plating up
                to a fine finish.

                http://www.supermagnetman.net/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=461

                SMcQ

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "steven_mcq" <smcquinn@...> wrote:

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, David Dantowitz <dantowitz@> wrote:
                > >

                > > http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/pbball.html
                > >

                > Tilt!

              • Keith Martin
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                  Sometime around 31/3/08 (at 14:58 +0000) steven_mcq said:

                  >Here's something you'd have little trouble attaching, and with a
                  >little optical grade red rouge you could bring its chrome plating up
                  >to a fine finish.

                  It'd play havoc with the pinball machine though! (Not to mention
                  memory cards if you put it in your camera bag.)

                  This is all very tempting stuff. I'm always amazed at the things
                  people have done using mirrorballs. Strange but tempting.

                • verifone411
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                  • Luca Vascon
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                      I've one installed in my room...
                      good for back-peojection projects.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                        Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:

                        >I've one installed in my room...
                        >good for back-peojection projects.

                        Interesting. How do you use it?

                        This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                        vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                        around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                      • Marco Trezzini
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                          you might want to check out this article where Aram Pan uses this
                          technique to shoot the inside
                          of a sports shoe:
                          http://www.vrmag.org/issue29/GET_INSIDE_A_SPORTS_SHOE.html

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                            Done some years ago...
                            a film slide projection is always FAR better than any dlp projector image.
                            You have some little problems with centering and dimensioning the things,
                            however.
                            spherical mirror projections needs spherical mirror in taking. I've some
                            self built ones.
                            Nikon f3+200mm micro.

                            > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                            >
                            >>I've one installed in my room...
                            >>good for back-peojection projects.
                            >
                            > Interesting. How do you use it?
                            >
                            > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                            > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                            > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                          • Pat Swovelin
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                              On 4/1/2008 5:30 AM, Keith Martin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                              and typed ...:
                              > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                              >
                              >> I've one installed in my room...
                              >> good for back-peojection projects.
                              >
                              > Interesting. How do you use it?
                              >
                              > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                              > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                              > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                              Ummmm, dooonuts. D'oh!

                              Pat Swovelin
                              Cool Guy @ Large
                            • pau valiente
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 10, 2008
                                Very interesting indeed .... I also would like to try someday ...

                                pau valiente
                                www.pau.cc

                                El 01/04/2008, a las 14:30, Keith Martin escribió:

                                > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                                >
                                >> I've one installed in my room...
                                >> good for back-peojection projects.
                                >
                                > Interesting. How do you use it?
                                >
                                > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                                > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                                > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                              • Jim Watters
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 10, 2008
                                  I saw this posted the other day. Panoramic movie using Christmas ball.
                                  http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/04/panoramic_video_experimen.html

                                  --
                                  Jim Watters

                                  jwatters @ photocreations . ca