Re: mirror balls

  • wardnet2001
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30, 2008
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "matt_nolan_uaf" <matt.nolan@...>
      wrote:

      > I'd like to try shooting into a mirror ball to get inside tight
      > spaces. Does anyone know of a source for such balls, preferably ones
      > that take a tripod screw? I found a tutorial on the wiki for using
      > christmas tree ornaments in this way, but I'd also be curious if there
      > are any other tutorials around.

      Hi

      I made one of these a while ago for The World Wide Panorama
      http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp906/html/BillWard.html

      The tutorial link is currently
      http://www.billward.eu/page_pinball/pinball.html

      I used a 2.5cm pinball from pinball machine supplier. I've also tried
      using a convex lens of which I had the surface specially
      surface-silvered at an astonomy lens refurbishing company in London -
      not as successful as you might think, it still made a low quality
      reflector. I think the main limitation is the quality of the reflector.

      Bill
    • steven_mcq
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 30, 2008
        Years ago at his old site, Helmut had a tutorial on using a high
        quality steel ball bearing for micro panos. He even cited the name of
        the supplier (whose address had changed), and described how he affixed
        the bearing for placement. The pano was a bug's eye view from within a
        flower. That page does not seem to exist anymore at his current site
        or at the Panotools mirror sites, as far as I can tell. Perhaps the
        steel bearing supplier does not exist anymore either!

        Apologies for any lapses in my memory, it was a long time ago and I
        hadn't thought about it until now.

        SMcQ

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "wardnet2001" <billward@...> wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "matt_nolan_uaf" <matt.nolan@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I'd like to try shooting into a mirror ball to get inside tight
        > > spaces. Does anyone know of a source for such balls, preferably ones
        > > that take a tripod screw? I found a tutorial on the wiki for using
        > > christmas tree ornaments in this way, but I'd also be curious if
        there
        > > are any other tutorials around.
        > >
        > Hi
        >
        > I made one of these a while ago for The World Wide Panorama

        http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp906/html/BillWard.html

        > The tutorial link is currently
        > http://www.billward.eu/page_pinball/pinball.html
        >
        > I used a 2.5cm pinball from pinball machine supplier. I've also tried
        > using a convex lens of which I had the surface specially
        > surface-silvered at an astonomy lens refurbishing company in London -
        > not as successful as you might think, it still made a low quality
        > reflector. I think the main limitation is the quality of the reflector.
        >
        > Bill

      • David Dantowitz
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 30, 2008
        • Philipp B. Koch
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
            I have tried this kind of panos with a convex mirror I bought especially
            for this. Its diameter is about 30 cm, so I expected the quality to be
            pretty good. It was EUR 70,-- and I have to admit it was a bad buy.
            Unfortunately, the mirror is not a real "half ball", so (for me) it is
            impossible to remap the picture to equirectangular and have all
            verticals straight...

            You might want to have a look at this page:
            http://www.panoguide.com/forums/tipsntricks/25/

            Regards, Philipp Koch

            matt_nolan_uaf schrieb:
            > I'd like to try shooting into a mirror ball to get inside tight
            > spaces. Does anyone know of a source for such balls, preferably ones
            > that take a tripod screw? I found a tutorial on the wiki for using
            > christmas tree ornaments in this way, but I'd also be curious if there
            > are any other tutorials around.

          • Luca Vascon
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
              http://stores.ebay.com/ToolSupply

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, David Dantowitz <dantowitz@...> wrote:

                > http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/pbball.html

                Tilt!
              • steven_mcq
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                  Here's something you'd have little trouble attaching, and with a
                  little optical grade red rouge you could bring its chrome plating up
                  to a fine finish.

                  http://www.supermagnetman.net/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=461

                  SMcQ

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "steven_mcq" <smcquinn@...> wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, David Dantowitz <dantowitz@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/pbball.html
                  > >

                  > Tilt!

                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                    Sometime around 31/3/08 (at 14:58 +0000) steven_mcq said:

                    >Here's something you'd have little trouble attaching, and with a
                    >little optical grade red rouge you could bring its chrome plating up
                    >to a fine finish.

                    It'd play havoc with the pinball machine though! (Not to mention
                    memory cards if you put it in your camera bag.)

                    This is all very tempting stuff. I'm always amazed at the things
                    people have done using mirrorballs. Strange but tempting.

                  • verifone411
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                    • Luca Vascon
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                        I've one installed in my room...
                        good for back-peojection projects.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                          Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:

                          >I've one installed in my room...
                          >good for back-peojection projects.

                          Interesting. How do you use it?

                          This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                          vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                          around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                        • Marco Trezzini
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                            you might want to check out this article where Aram Pan uses this
                            technique to shoot the inside
                            of a sports shoe:
                            http://www.vrmag.org/issue29/GET_INSIDE_A_SPORTS_SHOE.html

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                              Done some years ago...
                              a film slide projection is always FAR better than any dlp projector image.
                              You have some little problems with centering and dimensioning the things,
                              however.
                              spherical mirror projections needs spherical mirror in taking. I've some
                              self built ones.
                              Nikon f3+200mm micro.

                              > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                              >
                              >>I've one installed in my room...
                              >>good for back-peojection projects.
                              >
                              > Interesting. How do you use it?
                              >
                              > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                              > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                              > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                            • Pat Swovelin
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                                On 4/1/2008 5:30 AM, Keith Martin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                                and typed ...:
                                > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                                >
                                >> I've one installed in my room...
                                >> good for back-peojection projects.
                                >
                                > Interesting. How do you use it?
                                >
                                > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                                > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                                > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                                Ummmm, dooonuts. D'oh!

                                Pat Swovelin
                                Cool Guy @ Large
                              • pau valiente
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 10, 2008
                                  Very interesting indeed .... I also would like to try someday ...

                                  pau valiente
                                  www.pau.cc

                                  El 01/04/2008, a las 14:30, Keith Martin escribió:

                                  > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                                  >
                                  >> I've one installed in my room...
                                  >> good for back-peojection projects.
                                  >
                                  > Interesting. How do you use it?
                                  >
                                  > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                                  > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                                  > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                                • Jim Watters
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 10, 2008
                                    I saw this posted the other day. Panoramic movie using Christmas ball.
                                    http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/04/panoramic_video_experimen.html

                                    --
                                    Jim Watters

                                    jwatters @ photocreations . ca