mirror balls

  • matt_nolan_uaf
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30, 2008
      I'd like to try shooting into a mirror ball to get inside tight
      spaces. Does anyone know of a source for such balls, preferably ones
      that take a tripod screw? I found a tutorial on the wiki for using
      christmas tree ornaments in this way, but I'd also be curious if there
      are any other tutorials around.
    • wardnet2001
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 30, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "matt_nolan_uaf" <matt.nolan@...>
        wrote:

        > I'd like to try shooting into a mirror ball to get inside tight
        > spaces. Does anyone know of a source for such balls, preferably ones
        > that take a tripod screw? I found a tutorial on the wiki for using
        > christmas tree ornaments in this way, but I'd also be curious if there
        > are any other tutorials around.

        Hi

        I made one of these a while ago for The World Wide Panorama
        http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp906/html/BillWard.html

        The tutorial link is currently
        http://www.billward.eu/page_pinball/pinball.html

        I used a 2.5cm pinball from pinball machine supplier. I've also tried
        using a convex lens of which I had the surface specially
        surface-silvered at an astonomy lens refurbishing company in London -
        not as successful as you might think, it still made a low quality
        reflector. I think the main limitation is the quality of the reflector.

        Bill
      • steven_mcq
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 30, 2008
          Years ago at his old site, Helmut had a tutorial on using a high
          quality steel ball bearing for micro panos. He even cited the name of
          the supplier (whose address had changed), and described how he affixed
          the bearing for placement. The pano was a bug's eye view from within a
          flower. That page does not seem to exist anymore at his current site
          or at the Panotools mirror sites, as far as I can tell. Perhaps the
          steel bearing supplier does not exist anymore either!

          Apologies for any lapses in my memory, it was a long time ago and I
          hadn't thought about it until now.

          SMcQ

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "wardnet2001" <billward@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "matt_nolan_uaf" <matt.nolan@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I'd like to try shooting into a mirror ball to get inside tight
          > > spaces. Does anyone know of a source for such balls, preferably ones
          > > that take a tripod screw? I found a tutorial on the wiki for using
          > > christmas tree ornaments in this way, but I'd also be curious if
          there
          > > are any other tutorials around.
          > >
          > Hi
          >
          > I made one of these a while ago for The World Wide Panorama

          http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp906/html/BillWard.html

          > The tutorial link is currently
          > http://www.billward.eu/page_pinball/pinball.html
          >
          > I used a 2.5cm pinball from pinball machine supplier. I've also tried
          > using a convex lens of which I had the surface specially
          > surface-silvered at an astonomy lens refurbishing company in London -
          > not as successful as you might think, it still made a low quality
          > reflector. I think the main limitation is the quality of the reflector.
          >
          > Bill

        • David Dantowitz
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 30, 2008
          • Philipp B. Koch
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
              I have tried this kind of panos with a convex mirror I bought especially
              for this. Its diameter is about 30 cm, so I expected the quality to be
              pretty good. It was EUR 70,-- and I have to admit it was a bad buy.
              Unfortunately, the mirror is not a real "half ball", so (for me) it is
              impossible to remap the picture to equirectangular and have all
              verticals straight...

              You might want to have a look at this page:
              http://www.panoguide.com/forums/tipsntricks/25/

              Regards, Philipp Koch

              matt_nolan_uaf schrieb:
              > I'd like to try shooting into a mirror ball to get inside tight
              > spaces. Does anyone know of a source for such balls, preferably ones
              > that take a tripod screw? I found a tutorial on the wiki for using
              > christmas tree ornaments in this way, but I'd also be curious if there
              > are any other tutorials around.

            • Luca Vascon
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                http://stores.ebay.com/ToolSupply

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, David Dantowitz <dantowitz@...> wrote:

                  > http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/pbball.html

                  Tilt!
                • steven_mcq
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                    Here's something you'd have little trouble attaching, and with a
                    little optical grade red rouge you could bring its chrome plating up
                    to a fine finish.

                    http://www.supermagnetman.net/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=461

                    SMcQ

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "steven_mcq" <smcquinn@...> wrote:

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, David Dantowitz <dantowitz@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/pbball.html
                    > >

                    > Tilt!

                  • Keith Martin
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                      Sometime around 31/3/08 (at 14:58 +0000) steven_mcq said:

                      >Here's something you'd have little trouble attaching, and with a
                      >little optical grade red rouge you could bring its chrome plating up
                      >to a fine finish.

                      It'd play havoc with the pinball machine though! (Not to mention
                      memory cards if you put it in your camera bag.)

                      This is all very tempting stuff. I'm always amazed at the things
                      people have done using mirrorballs. Strange but tempting.

                    • verifone411
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                      • Luca Vascon
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                          I've one installed in my room...
                          good for back-peojection projects.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                            Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:

                            >I've one installed in my room...
                            >good for back-peojection projects.

                            Interesting. How do you use it?

                            This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                            vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                            around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                          • Marco Trezzini
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                              you might want to check out this article where Aram Pan uses this
                              technique to shoot the inside
                              of a sports shoe:
                              http://www.vrmag.org/issue29/GET_INSIDE_A_SPORTS_SHOE.html

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                                Done some years ago...
                                a film slide projection is always FAR better than any dlp projector image.
                                You have some little problems with centering and dimensioning the things,
                                however.
                                spherical mirror projections needs spherical mirror in taking. I've some
                                self built ones.
                                Nikon f3+200mm micro.

                                > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                                >
                                >>I've one installed in my room...
                                >>good for back-peojection projects.
                                >
                                > Interesting. How do you use it?
                                >
                                > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                                > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                                > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                              • Pat Swovelin
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                                  On 4/1/2008 5:30 AM, Keith Martin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                                  and typed ...:
                                  > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                                  >
                                  >> I've one installed in my room...
                                  >> good for back-peojection projects.
                                  >
                                  > Interesting. How do you use it?
                                  >
                                  > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                                  > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                                  > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                                  Ummmm, dooonuts. D'oh!

                                  Pat Swovelin
                                  Cool Guy @ Large
                                • pau valiente
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 10, 2008
                                    Very interesting indeed .... I also would like to try someday ...

                                    pau valiente
                                    www.pau.cc

                                    El 01/04/2008, a las 14:30, Keith Martin escribió:

                                    > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 12:27 +0200) Luca Vascon said:
                                    >
                                    >> I've one installed in my room...
                                    >> good for back-peojection projects.
                                    >
                                    > Interesting. How do you use it?
                                    >
                                    > This comment prompted me to consider projecting a donut pano image
                                    > vertically at a ceiling-mounted mirrored dome to get the view all
                                    > around the walls. Now *that* could be an interesting project.

                                  • Jim Watters
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 10, 2008
                                      I saw this posted the other day. Panoramic movie using Christmas ball.
                                      http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/04/panoramic_video_experimen.html

                                      --
                                      Jim Watters

                                      jwatters @ photocreations . ca