Re: error message "Not Enough RAM" to run Panotool plugin for PS

  • Daley
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 28 8:52 PM
      I just need to load 1 file only. It is the Nadir shot. Either
      400x300 or 640x480. Normally is 16 bit.

      I just playing around with extreme condition i.e 10% and 90% but no
      hope there as well.

      Daley.

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Daley" <bongyiiuce@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Still have error message. I goto preference ->Memory and cache.
      > > Default seting as below :
      > >
      > > Available RAM : 1760Mb
      > > Maximum use by Photoshop :55% (968Mb)
      > >
      > > reduce to 10% (176Mb) - got error
      > > increase to 90% (1584Mb) - got error
      >
      > How much memory do you need.
      > Are you just loading 1 image. Size , 8 bit or 16 bit?
      >
      > Or are you loading a full spherical panoramas.
      >
      > Hans
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 29 3:36 AM
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Daley" <bongyiiuce@...> wrote:

        > I just need to load 1 file only. It is the Nadir shot. Either
        > 400x300 or 640x480. Normally is 16 bit.
        >
        > I just playing around with extreme condition i.e 10% and 90% but no
        > hope there as well.
        > Daley.

        This sounds very wrong to me .
        I am on Mac and use the OSX versions by Kekus but I never heard that the Windows
        plugins should have any memory problems for small images like yours.

        I almost forgot how good these plugins are as I have been using PTGui or CubicConverter
        for extracting the nadir since PTGui Mac was launched

        I just tried extracting the nadir of a 8000x4000 16bit
        After 8 sec I had it opened in Photoshop for editing.
        Reconverting and and pasting it into the original was just as fast.

        I am going back to use this now for editing the Nadir. It is much faster than anything else
        I used.
        Not sure if it is that I can use all my 8gb ram
        11500x5750 in 16 bit gave me error but I had no problem in 8bit,
        As CubicConverter can not handle 16 bit at all this is much faster.
        The interpolation was spline 36 which is fine.

        Hans

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Daley" <bongyiiuce@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Still have error message. I goto preference ->Memory and cache.
        > > > Default seting as below :
        > > >
        > > > Available RAM : 1760Mb
        > > > Maximum use by Photoshop :55% (968Mb)
        > > >
        > > > reduce to 10% (176Mb) - got error
        > > > increase to 90% (1584Mb) - got error
        > >
        > > How much memory do you need.
        > > Are you just loading 1 image. Size , 8 bit or 16 bit?
        > >
        > > Or are you loading a full spherical panoramas.
        > >
        > > Hans

      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 29 3:25 PM
          I use this plugin for every pano I make (Windows, XP) and it is great
          but there are memory issues for large panos -- usually restarting
          Photoshop will let me do what I want with larger images

          In Actions it is annoying that the output image must be the same size
          as the input but otherwise it does long sequences of batch processing
          in an Action very well.

          Peter

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Daley" <bongyiiuce@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just need to load 1 file only. It is the Nadir shot. Either
          > > 400x300 or 640x480. Normally is 16 bit.
          > >
          > > I just playing around with extreme condition i.e 10% and 90% but
          no
          > > hope there as well.
          > > Daley.
          >
          > This sounds very wrong to me .
          > I am on Mac and use the OSX versions by Kekus but I never heard
          that the Windows
          > plugins should have any memory problems for small images like yours.
          >
          > I almost forgot how good these plugins are as I have been using
          PTGui or CubicConverter
          > for extracting the nadir since PTGui Mac was launched
          >
          > I just tried extracting the nadir of a 8000x4000 16bit
          > After 8 sec I had it opened in Photoshop for editing.
          > Reconverting and and pasting it into the original was just as fast.
          >
          > I am going back to use this now for editing the Nadir. It is much
          faster than anything else
          > I used.
          > Not sure if it is that I can use all my 8gb ram
          > 11500x5750 in 16 bit gave me error but I had no problem in 8bit,
          > As CubicConverter can not handle 16 bit at all this is much faster.
          > The interpolation was spline 36 which is fine.
          >
          > Hans
          >

          > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:

          > > > How much memory do you need.
          > > > Are you just loading 1 image. Size , 8 bit or 16 bit?
          > > >
          > > > Or are you loading a full spherical panoramas.
          > > >
          > > > Hans

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 30 1:13 PM
            http://wiki.panotools.org/Extracting_and_inserting_rectilinear_Views

            Alternatively, you can use these ptgui templates. By loading an image and
            apply the templates, you can extract an image in seconds, and perform the
            reverse as well.

            http://www.seeit360.net/panotools

            The templates are set for 7000x3500. Feel free to adjust them as you see
            fit.

            Han wrote,

            I used.
            Not sure if it is that I can use all my 8gb ram
            11500x5750 in 16 bit gave me error but I had no problem in 8bit,
            As CubicConverter can not handle 16 bit at all this is much faster.
            The interpolation was spline 36 which is fine.

            You must have a memory limitation in photoshop. I reached a similar
            limitation with only 2GB of ram.

            The plugins are fine for small panoramas, but they do get annoying
            frequently when they fail around 8000x4000 if you have been using photoshop
            for awhile.

            Sacha Griffin

            Southern Digital Solutions LLC

            http://www.southern-digital.com

            http://www.seeit360.net

            404-551-4275

            "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
            , "Daley" <bongyiiuce@> wrote:

            > > Still have error message. I goto preference ->Memory and cache.
            > > Default seting as below :
            > >
            > > Available RAM : 1760Mb
            > > Maximum use by Photoshop :55% (968Mb)
            > >
            > > reduce to 10% (176Mb) - got error
            > > increase to 90% (1584Mb) - got error
            >
            > How much memory do you need.
            > Are you just loading 1 image. Size , 8 bit or 16 bit?
            >
            > Or are you loading a full spherical panoramas.
            >
            > Hans

          • Pat Swovelin
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 31 11:27 PM
              On 3/28/2008 5:23 PM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
              and typed ...:
              > The best method, is not to use this plugin at all. Surely, you own ptgui,
              > ptmac, or use hugin.
              >
              > I also have the same memory, and there is no work around, except for
              > reducing the resolution of your image.
              >

              > Any function done in the plugin can be replicated using the aforementioned
              > programs, in a quicker, faster, and easier to understand fashion, and
              > without memory limitations.

              Extacting the zenith and/or nadir in PTGui forces you to bounce back and
              forth between PTGui and Photoshop (i.e., output the pano in PTGui, open
              it in PS, do any post production clean up, save the file, open it in
              PTGui, extract the Z/N, open the Z/N in PS and fix it, save the file,
              reinsert it in PTGui), output a final pano. Whereas if you use PTAdjust
              you can output the pano in PTGui, open it in PS, do any post production
              clean up, extract theZ/N, fix it, reinsert it, save the file and you're
              done. I prefer to use PTGui to generate the pano and PS to finalize
              it. Then I'm only in each program once and I'm off to Pano2VR to
              generate the final .MOVs and .SWFs. It's a lot easier than bouncing
              back and forth between 2 programs.

              > If you need help on a particular transformation, there are many people
              > here
              > who can help.
              >

              > Sacha Griffin
              >
              > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
              >
              > http://www.southern-digital.com
              >
              > http://www.seeit360.net
              >
              > 404-551-4275

              Pat Swovelin
              Cool Guy @ Large
            • Daley
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                hi guys,

                thanks for those info, link , wiki website etc...these few days I
                read like crazy, bouncing between those pano websites until my head
                like flying off.

                Good news ,I managed to solve the RAM problem. Those having same
                error before can follow below step :

                1. fire up PS, notice the plugin name "Panoramic tool"

                2. download latest ver plugin

                3. download latest ver panolib http://photocreations.ca/panotools/
                *Note : chosoe faster ver

                4. install them, run panoinfo , make sure panolib ver 2.8.0

                5. restart ps, now plugin name change to "epaperless"

                6. run plugin. viola** it run !

                ok, now that i have extracted partial view from equirectangular,
                that's fine. thanks. but my handheld nadir shoot still in fisheye
                format, what tool to defish it so that can patch the partial view ?
                Thanks.

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...>
                wrote:

                > On 3/28/2008 5:23 PM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the
                keyboard
                > and typed ...:
                > > The best method, is not to use this plugin at all. Surely, you
                own ptgui,
                > > ptmac, or use hugin.
                > >
                > > I also have the same memory, and there is no work around, except
                for
                > > reducing the resolution of your image.
                > >

                > > Any function done in the plugin can be replicated using the
                aforementioned
                > > programs, in a quicker, faster, and easier to understand
                fashion, and
                > > without memory limitations.
                >
                > Extacting the zenith and/or nadir in PTGui forces you to bounce
                back and
                > forth between PTGui and Photoshop (i.e., output the pano in PTGui,
                open
                > it in PS, do any post production clean up, save the file, open it
                in
                > PTGui, extract the Z/N, open the Z/N in PS and fix it, save the
                file,
                > reinsert it in PTGui), output a final pano. Whereas if you use
                PTAdjust
                > you can output the pano in PTGui, open it in PS, do any post
                production
                > clean up, extract theZ/N, fix it, reinsert it, save the file and
                you're
                > done. I prefer to use PTGui to generate the pano and PS to
                finalize
                > it. Then I'm only in each program once and I'm off to Pano2VR to
                > generate the final .MOVs and .SWFs. It's a lot easier than
                bouncing
                > back and forth between 2 programs.
                >
                > > If you need help on a particular transformation, there are many
                people
                > > here
                > > who can help.
                > >

                > > Sacha Griffin
                > >
                > > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                > >
                > > http://www.southern-digital.com
                > >
                > > http://www.seeit360.net
              • ptgroup
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                  Hm - my plugin never changed name, it stays the same
                  "epaperless" sound weird I know epaperpress, that is where PTLens comes
                  from.
                  But I never had such RAM problems as you mentioned.
                  Ciao
                  Mike
                  www.360de.de

                  ----------------------------------

                  -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

                  wrote:

                  > On 3/28/2008 5:23 PM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the
                  keyboard
                  > and typed ...:
                  > > The best method, is not to use this plugin at all. Surely, you
                  own ptgui,
                  > > ptmac, or use hugin.
                  > >
                  > > I also have the same memory, and there is no work around, except
                  for
                  > > reducing the resolution of your image.
                  > >

                  > > Any function done in the plugin can be replicated using the
                  aforementioned
                  > > programs, in a quicker, faster, and easier to understand
                  fashion, and
                  > > without memory limitations.
                  >
                  > Extacting the zenith and/or nadir in PTGui forces you to bounce
                  back and
                  > forth between PTGui and Photoshop (i.e., output the pano in PTGui,
                  open
                  > it in PS, do any post production clean up, save the file, open it
                  in
                  > PTGui, extract the Z/N, open the Z/N in PS and fix it, save the
                  file,
                  > reinsert it in PTGui), output a final pano. Whereas if you use
                  PTAdjust
                  > you can output the pano in PTGui, open it in PS, do any post
                  production
                  > clean up, extract theZ/N, fix it, reinsert it, save the file and
                  you're
                  > done. I prefer to use PTGui to generate the pano and PS to
                  finalize
                  > it. Then I'm only in each program once and I'm off to Pano2VR to
                  > generate the final .MOVs and .SWFs. It's a lot easier than
                  bouncing
                  > back and forth between 2 programs.
                  >
                  > > If you need help on a particular transformation, there are many
                  people
                  > > here
                  > > who can help.
                  > >

                  > > Sacha Griffin
                  > >
                  > > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                  > >
                  > > http://www.southern-digital.com
                  > >
                  > > http://www.seeit360.net

                  Checked by AVG.
                  19:15

                • Sacha Griffin
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                    Yes, if it works at your memory limit, the plugins are great. I used them
                    before I learned templating and could still use them since I've gone to a 5d
                    w 10.5.

                    However, both methods should be in ones toolkit, and they are both tricky
                    and eccentric the first time. Without using a template, it IS a giant hassle
                    and a lot of extra clicks. I've found that proper editing of a 360 panorama
                    is one of the least understood phases for those just introduced. Its
                    important to know how to do it, without relying on cubic convertor/panocube
                    and potentially other steps/programs that may degrade the quality that were
                    never meant for this purpose.

                    The good thing about panotools gui's method, is that it always works no
                    matter how many thousands of dollars you didn't spend on your computer.

                    Unfortunately, I bounce around a lot. My workflow goes

                    Firefox (Pandora music)

                    Photoshop raw

                    Enfuse

                    Ptgui

                    FSPViewer

                    Ptgui (n or z extract)

                    Photoshop

                    Ptgui (n or z insert)

                    FSPViewer

                    Photoshop

                    FSPViewer

                    Pano2vr droplet via a sendto shortcut for fpp cubefaces

                    Notetab

                    Ws_ftp

                    Firefox (Preview)

                    BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my lettuce sprouts.
                    Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?

                    Pat Swovelin
                    Cool Guy @ Large

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                      On Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 17:26, Daley wrote:

                      > ok, now that i have extracted partial view from equirectangular,
                      > that's fine. thanks. but my handheld nadir shoot still in fisheye
                      > format, what tool to defish it so that can patch the partial view ?

                      What program did you use to stitch the equirectangular? I assume it
                      was from the panotools family: hugin, PTGui, PTMac, PTAssembler
                      should be all more or less the same.

                      Extracting a floor partial view is great if you want to edit the
                      tripod hole directly f.e. by doubling floor tiles or cloning other
                      regular structures. If you want to insert a fisheye shot into an
                      rectilinear image the best way is to stitch them. You need to fix the
                      rectilinear view of course by not allowing to optimize any parameter
                      (FoV must be set manually, yaw, roll and pitch as well as lens
                      correction a, b and c all stay 0.0) The fisheye view needs
                      individual lens paramters, you must allow for the optimization of all
                      paramters to get a good fit.

                      However, it is not necessary if you want to insert a nadir shot into
                      a spherical panorama. You can simply add it to your original project.
                      There is a short tutorial (with screenshots from an outdated PTGui
                      version - but as said above, any of the GUIs should do):
                      http://wiki.panotools.org/Stitching_Nadir_Shots
                      A discussion of different nadir editing techniques is found on
                      http://wiki.panotools.org/Zenith_and_Nadir_editing_overview

                      best regards
                    • dalileis
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                        For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                        app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:

                        http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php

                        It's superb.

                        Does not interrupt your 16 bit workflow, in other words it works
                        splendidly in 16bit.

                        It gives you options to rotate and preview nadir/zenith before the
                        actual convertion takes place.

                        It's fast. It uses Photoshop standard interpolators.

                        It is itself Photoshop plugin, no need to go outside Photoshop.

                        It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
                        one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
                        to be.

                        It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.

                        Start using this NOW.

                        Highly recommended, as they say on Dpreview.

                        Regards,

                        Dalileis
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                          On Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 22:23, dalileis wrote:

                          > It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
                          > one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
                          > to be.
                          >
                          > It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.
                          >
                          > Start using this NOW.

                          Would you write a short description for the wiki? Or a tutorial if
                          possible? I'd very much like to include it in the zenith and nadir
                          editing overview...

                          best regards
                        • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                            This could be your answer...(the memory size one being the more important
                            point)

                            Quoted from the website:
                            ------------------------
                            Known issues:
                            - The plugins don't work with float images. I will be able to support float
                            as soon as FilterMeister does.
                            - Running the plugins eat a lot of memory, about three times as much as the
                            images themselves. On my 3Gb machine I hit the roof at 10000 pixel float
                            images. Other users with 2Gb of RAM have been able to convert maximum 6000
                            pixel images. I am looking into this, but since there's little memory
                            managment I can do I'm afraid that this also is a limitation of
                            FilterMeister.
                            ------------------------

                            Often I also prefer to use a rectilinear view for the nadir; especially if
                            looking at a regular patterned surface. (eg. Tiles, floorboards, etc.)

                            Cheers,
                            Darren.

                            )
[...]
                          • AYRTON
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                              On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, dalileis <dalileis@...> wrote:

                              > For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                              > app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:

                              Because most professionals use MAC :-)
                              And this is windows only.

                              > http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php
                              >
                              > It's superb.
                              >
                              > Does not interrupt your 16 bit workflow, in other words it works
                              > splendidly in 16bit.
                              >
                              > It gives you options to rotate and preview nadir/zenith before the
                              > actual convertion takes place.
                              >
                              > It's fast. It uses Photoshop standard interpolators.
                              >
                              > It is itself Photoshop plugin, no need to go outside Photoshop.
                              >
                              > It extracts both nadir and zenith in one go. Re-inserts them again in
                              > one go. It's a time saver. It should be WAY more popular than it seems
                              > to be.
                              >
                              > It's free. You can donate if you'de like, though.
                              >
                              > Start using this NOW.
                              >
                              > Highly recommended, as they say on Dpreview.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              >
                              > Dalileis

                              ------------
                              | A Y R |
                              | T O N |
                              ------------

                              + 55 21 9982 6313

                              http://ayrton360.com
                              http://rio.360cities.net
                              http://vrfolio.com
                              http://ayrton.com

                            • Daley
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                                ha, you real funny there. i got 4 cats, 3 dogs here though. Mostly
                                lost their way. some cats stay for few month didn't make it(old),
                                some stay n run away but come back later. Some newcomer. I just let
                                them in n out. One happy family!

                                Sure will look your templating http://www.seeit360.net/panotools.

                                Tq everyone, great detail, explanation. The more i learn , the more
                                i don't know.

                                Daley.

                                > BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my
                                lettuce sprouts.
                                > Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?
                                >

                                > Sacha Griffin
                                >
                                > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                                >
                                > http://www.southern-digital.com
                                >
                                > http://www.seeit360.net
                                >
                                > 404-551-4275

                              • Pat Swovelin
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                                  On 4/1/2008 7:00 PM, AYRTON's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                                  typed ...:
                                  > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, dalileis <dalileis@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                                  >> app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                                  >

                                  > Because most professionals use MAC :-)

                                  "Professionals," no matter what OS they use, know that platform wars are
                                  unnecessarily divisive and not productive to intelligently discussing
                                  issues.

                                  > And this is windows only.

                                  Pat Swovelin
                                  Cool Guy @ Large
                                • Pat Swovelin
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 1, 2008
                                    On 4/1/2008 11:11 AM, Sacha Griffin's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                                    and typed ...:
                                    > Yes, if it works at your memory limit, the plugins are great. I used them
                                    > before I learned templating and could still use them since I've gone
                                    > to a 5d
                                    > w 10.5.
                                    >
                                    > However, both methods should be in ones toolkit, and they are both tricky
                                    > and eccentric the first time. Without using a template, it IS a giant
                                    > hassle
                                    > and a lot of extra clicks. I've found that proper editing of a 360
                                    > panorama
                                    > is one of the least understood phases for those just introduced. Its
                                    > important to know how to do it, without relying on cubic
                                    > convertor/panocube
                                    > and potentially other steps/programs that may degrade the quality that
                                    > were
                                    > never meant for this purpose.
                                    >
                                    > The good thing about panotools gui's method, is that it always works no
                                    > matter how many thousands of dollars you didn't spend on your computer.
                                    >

                                    > Unfortunately, I bounce around a lot. My workflow goes
                                    >
                                    > Firefox (Pandora music)
                                    >
                                    > Photoshop raw
                                    >
                                    > Enfuse
                                    >
                                    > Ptgui
                                    >
                                    > FSPViewer
                                    >
                                    > Ptgui (n or z extract)
                                    >
                                    > Photoshop
                                    >
                                    > Ptgui (n or z insert)
                                    >
                                    > FSPViewer
                                    >
                                    > Photoshop
                                    >
                                    > FSPViewer

                                    Instead of bouncing out to FSPViewer (as good as it is) you can send the
                                    equirect directly to DevalVR from within Photoshop without having to
                                    save it as a .TIF first. It's *really* slick.

                                    > Pano2vr droplet via a sendto shortcut for fpp cubefaces
                                    >
                                    > Notetab
                                    >
                                    > Ws_ftp
                                    >
                                    > Firefox (Preview)
                                    >

                                    > BTW, I don't have a hamster, just a squirrel digging up my lettuce
                                    > sprouts.
                                    > Anyone have a source for lawn ornaments in the shape of a cat?

                                    No but you can call Homeland Security to get rid of him. "Save the
                                    sprouts! Save the sprouts!" should be your rallying cry. =8^)

                                    Pat Swovelin
                                    Cool Guy @ Large
                                  • Keith Martin
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                                      Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 22:23 +0000) dalileis said:

                                      >For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                                      >app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                                      >
                                      >http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php

                                      Two good reasons.

                                      One, this is the first time I've heard of it.
                                      And two, these Photoshop plugins are Windows only, gosh-darn it!

                                    • Geoff Mather
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 2, 2008
                                        It also works within Paint Shop Pro XI (No reason why earlier versions
                                        won't work either) as well simply save the files into the PlugIns
                                        folder and your away.

                                        Geoff
                                      • Rune Spaans
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 16, 2008

                                          > Sometime around 1/4/08 (at 22:23 +0000) dalileis said:
                                          >
                                          > >For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone is not using this
                                          > >app for nadir/zenith extraction/insertion:
                                          > >
                                          > >http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_spheretocubic.php
                                          >
                                          > Two good reasons.
                                          >
                                          > One, this is the first time I've heard of it.
                                          > And two, these Photoshop plugins are Windows only, gosh-darn it!

                                          I hope to have native Photoshop Windows and Mac version of these
                                          plugins released in a year. We finally got a Mac here in the house,
                                          and I am looking at the Photoshop SDK in my spare time. That will lead
                                          to a faster and more memory efficient plugin as well :)

                                          Rune